Windows 10: How to create shortcuts for start menu?

Discus and support How to create shortcuts for start menu? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I am at my wits end with this issue: I started to populate my start menu with shortcuts (tiles) for things like google finance, flagler live news,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by tcman50, Aug 16, 2015.

1. tcman50 Win User

How to create shortcuts for start menu?

I am at my wits end with this issue:

I started to populate my start menu with shortcuts (tiles) for things like google finance, flagler live news, etc..all websites by hitting "pin to start" in the new edge browser.

I have now made Opera my default browser, so now I want to have these same shortcuts (tiles) in my start menu but to open with my Opera browser.

I open Opera, go to the site in question and make a shortcut of it to the desktop, I then go to drag it to the start pin and which time it says "pin to start" but it will never pin a opera shortcut to the start menu.

I read somewhere that one can only pin .exe files to the start menu but sites "pinned to start" through the Edge browser are not .exe files, so how come the start menu will except "pin to start" from Edge shortcuts but not from any other browser?

Any help would be appreciated, this is a potential deal breaker for me given that the Edge browser is so unfinshed at the moment.

TC

:)

tcman50, Aug 16, 2015

2. How to create shortcuts to Desktop?

Hi Ian,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community and for your interest in Windows 10.

I can understand, how frustrating it can be, when things don’t work as expected.

I'd be glad to help you.

Let's try to follow these steps to create shortcuts on Desktop:

1. Type File Explorer on the search bar, then the
    File Explorer Window will open.

2. Right click on any of the file folders on File Explorer
    Window, then go to Desktop (create shortcut) option from
    Send to option.

3. Then, the shortcut of the particular folder will be created on Desktop.

Hope this information helps you. Kindly post back with the updated issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Aug 16, 2015
  3. How to create shortcuts to Desktop?

How can I create shortcuts to my desk top?

<Original Title: Desk >

Ian 24388168, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Harpert Win User

1. First of all right-click on the file which you want to pin to Start Screen and select "Create shortcut" option to create a shortcut of the file.

2. Now copy and paste following text in RUN dialog box and press Enter:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\

It'll open the classic "Start Menu" folder which is still used to store Start Screen shortcuts similar to previous Windows versions.

3. Now cut the file shortcut which you created in step 1 and paste it in "Start Menu" folder which you opened in step 2.

4. Now go to Start Screen and press "Ctrl+Tab" keys together to show "All Apps" page.

Pin_New_Items_Windows_8_Start_Screen.png

5. Here you'll see the file shortcut which you created earlier. Right-click on the file shortcut and click on "Pin to Start" option.

That's it. It'll immediately pin the file shortcut to Start Screen.

NOTE: If the shortcut doesn't appear in "All Apps" screen, try to move the shortcut from "Start Menu" folder to "Start Menu\Programs" folder.

Harpert, Aug 16, 2015
  5. tcman50 Win User
    thanks for the info but I am not trying to shortcut files to open in Opera, I am trying to shortcut websites to open in Opera.

websites can easily be pinned to start menu via a supplied option in the Edge browser, how do I pin websites to the start menu via Opera or any other browser?, just not seeing it.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

TC

tcman50, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to create shortcuts for start menu? - Similar Threads - create shortcuts start

2. Start menu broken shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  3. Document Shortcuts on Start Menu

Document Shortcuts on Start Menu: I upgraded from 1909 to 20H2. It appears that document shortcuts on startmenu is not longer supported. The shortcuts are still in the StartMenu/Programs folder and function if clicked on directly, but they no longer appear in the start menu and cannot be pinned. I was able...
  4. Difference between "Create a Shortcut" & "Pin this Tile to Start Menu"

in Browsers and Email
    Difference between "Create a Shortcut" & "Pin this Tile to Start Menu": I have several desk top tiles(Apps) that do not work properly, when clicked on to open. Instead when they do open they automatically just default to a Microsoft search engine instead of the desired "App". To reinstall the "App" again I have to google the desired web site and...
  5. Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Removing Start Menu shortcuts: Is there a way to remove Built-In application shortcuts from the Start Menu? I don't mean uninstall the application, but just remove its shortcut; shortcuts (examples in red) as seen in the attached picture. 149158
  6. How to create a desktop shortcut to this settings menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to create a desktop shortcut to this settings menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PleasantSport [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e9z9xi/how_to_create_a_desktop_shortcut_to_this_settings/
  7. Create a "Start Menu"...

Create a "Start Menu"...: Here's a way to create a pretty convincing looking Menu using your Taskbar. Try it out yourself. (click on the image 2 or 3 times if you find it hard to read) [img] EDIT: You'll have to loose the Search Box and Taskview as well. 42173
  8. Create Shortcut on context menu

Create Shortcut on context menu: Is there a way to take "Desktop - Create Shortcut" from the send to menu and put it on the top menu? 96298
  9. uTorrent doesn't creat start menu shortcut or taskbar icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    uTorrent doesn't creat start menu shortcut or taskbar icon: As per title, anyone else found this? Is there anything I can do to make it install properly? Thanks 21085
  10. How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu: UPDATE: See Edwin's method in Post #4 for IE it is much easier than mine. But for other browsers use this method. Since you cannot just drag and drop a shortcut to a web site into the app menu the way I do it is to create a short cut on my desktop then copy it into the...