Windows 10: How to customize "Choose another app" list of apps?

Discus and support How to customize "Choose another app" list of apps? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Say, for example, that I want to exclude 7-zip Console and 7-zip File Manager from the list in this screenshot: what would I need to do?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by psfloris, Dec 7, 2022.

1. psfloris Win User

How to customize "Choose another app" list of apps?

Say, for example, that I want to exclude 7-zip Console and 7-zip File Manager from the list in this screenshot: what would I need to do?

:)

psfloris, Dec 7, 2022
  2. dalchina Win User

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

Hi, FWIW, I found that Atlantis Word was already added to the Open With list for .pdf's - although it is incapable of opening them.
    (Is that so with Word?)

How to customize "Choose another app" list of apps? [​IMG]

It did show in the Open With list, and when clicked stated it could not open the pdf except as a text file (or similar). I.e. it gave a sensible warning message.

I therefore chose to delete it from the Open With options for pdf. Why it was added I don't know.

In your case it seemed Word had been successfully added - you add an item, click to Save it, and then should see this confirmation:

Perhaps if a program not registered to handle an extension is added to the Open With list for that extension, it doesn't appear in the menu- would have to test that.

** Well, I tried adding Wordpad to the OW list for png, and it appeared in it, and attempted to open the file- garbage of course.

I wonder if Word might have appeared in the Choose another app list..

Example of a lot of options being presented (png)

dalchina, Dec 7, 2022
  3. Callender Win User

You can't use it to add additional programs, only to set default programs.

Interestingly for me it shows nothing for text files:

Then if I want to add a portable app like Jarte Plus to open with context menu windows doesn't like it.

It's not present and is near impossible to add even via "look for an app on this PC"

OpenWithAdd to the rescue:

Result:

Callender, Dec 7, 2022
  4. dalchina Win User

Yep, I see the same.

I tried adding Paint to Open With for txt. That also appeared in the More Options list.

I suspect it's to do with what the programs are registered to handle. The Open With list is constructed form a number of sources e.g. at least these:

The first of those corresponds to Snip & Sketch (simply search and find refs to the Appx string)

dalchina, Dec 7, 2022
Thema:

1. How to customize "Choose another app" list of apps? - Similar Threads - customize Choose another

2. Why choose another app "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why choose another app "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home?: Why choose another app option "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home? Nothing happens when I try to set up another software not suggested automatically by Windows....
  3. Why choose another app "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why choose another app "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home?: Why choose another app option "look for another app" is not working in Windows 11 home? Nothing happens when I try to set up another software not suggested automatically by Windows....
  4. "Choose another app" doesnt work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Choose another app" doesnt work: Hi,I bought fresh new build PC with Win 11 Home with latest updates and drivers and when I try to Choose another app on any file it just doesnt work. For example for video files mp4, avi, etc.. I have also VLC player and MPC-HC player which I want change it to but its not...
  5. "Choose another app" doesnt work

"Choose another app" doesnt work: Hi,I bought fresh new build PC with Win 11 Home with latest updates and drivers and when I try to Choose another app on any file it just doesnt work. For example for video files mp4, avi, etc.. I have also VLC player and MPC-HC player which I want change it to but its not...
  6. How to customize "Choose another app" list of apps?

How to customize "Choose another app" list of apps?: Say, for example, that I want to exclude 7-zip Console and 7-zip File Manager from the list in this screenshot: what would I need to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-customize-choose-another-app-list-of-apps/0b0e35b2-9265-4942-bbb2-62ed50ccae27
  7. .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...

.pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...: Hi.When i open any .pdf file from file explorer, the default app to open and view such files is Notepad.I want to change so that the default app is Google Chrome. This should be easy to do, by going to "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by file type", scroll down until i...
  8. How to Remove this Option in Windows Open with Choose Another App?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Remove this Option in Windows Open with Choose Another App?: I think it's may be due to malware. When I choose to open with another app for a .mp4 file, it raises this. I'd like to know how to remove the first option which is clearly invalid in other options completely. It's very annoying....
  9. Customize Start Menu App List

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize Start Menu App List: Greetings, I've already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I have created an "Adobe" folder (below) in the Start Menu app list, to put Adobe apps in: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe I have moved Acrobat Reader and Photoshop Elements into the...
  10. Cannot choose another app for unknown file types

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot choose another app for unknown file types: Trying to use Houdini network server HQueue. I think It's interface needs a browser . Windows 10 showing up this popup and looking for a "localhost" file type. Is there any method to add a "choose another app" option so I can choose a browser. Thanks [ATTACH]...