Windows 10: How to customize UI colors?

Discus and support How to customize UI colors? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to customize colors of windows and native elements. Mainly I want to set the color of UI elements to something different than 100% white,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by mikhail22, Aug 19, 2018.

1. mikhail22 Win User

How to customize UI colors?

I am trying to customize colors of windows and native elements.
    Mainly I want to set the color of UI elements to something different than 100% white,
    say for example 90% white. Pure white hurts my eyes and in the end of the
    day I have issues with eyes. I need a way to setup several color schemes for
    different lighting.

After some search I've found out that one option is to use the so-called "High contrast theme".
    Is it the proper way to customize UI colors? It sounds weird because I just want to adjust the UI colors
    to reduce eye strain, not much to do with high contrast.
    I tried it and it worked for some settings: I can set up some colors now.
    I really like that I can set the global color for elements, such as window background, button face.
    But there appear many issues with UI.

Issues that are most annoying with High contrast on:

Colors of many elements borders and separators are same as text color, in my case - all
    black (because I use black for text), and therefore most native UI looks awful.
    I cannot find anything that can adjust border colors separately.
    This is very frustrating. I've spent 2 days and found nothing that helps with that.

For example this is a GUI of one notepad++ dialog:
    How to customize UI colors? 9e15ba3f-961d-491a-a7a8-1404b7b30f6a?upload=true.png
    Further, all buttons and the scroll bar are converted to same 1 px black frames.
    This looks bad and it is hard to believe such setup could be made intentionally.

Color of the taskbar is set to window bg color and there is no way to
    set its color separately. It looks bad with light bg. Also some elements in
    the taskbar appear with 1 px border and I cannot get rid of this.

How to customize UI colors? 89eb3f5d-3823-483d-b870-2d80d5aa8a47?upload=true.png

Questions:

- Where are options to customize important colors such as borders, separators, taskbar?
    - Why is it called "High contrast theme" and not just "custom theme"?
    - If I should not use High contrast theme - then how to customize colors?

:)

mikhail22, Aug 19, 2018

2. Custom Start Menu Color

Is there a way to select a custom color for the start menu, task bar, and the like.

The colors listed all suck.

DarkRookie22, Aug 19, 2018
  3. Argel Obm Win User
    Start Menu background color customize

Hi,

You can change the background color of the the Start menu on Settings. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose Personalization.
    • Select Colors.
    • Under Show color on Start, taskbar, and action center, switch the slider to
      On.
    • After switching the slider to On, you can now pick what color you want or you can click the
      Automatically pick an accent color from my background checkbox to make Windows pick the color that complements the color of your desktop background.
    Kindly share with us the result after you perform the steps above.

Argel Obm, Aug 19, 2018
  4. How to customize UI colors?

Custom Color Lost in Update

Hi Regina,

One of the hidden features of your updated Windows 10 is to set a custom color. If you want to access the custom accent color, follow the instructions below:

• Press Win + R to open the run command window.
    • Type control color and hit OK.
    • Reveal the extended menu by clicking on Show color mixer.
    • Using different sliders, you can choose the color, hue, brightness , and
      intensity.
    • Save Changes once you're done.
    Let us know if you need further assistance.

Reymichael Ros, Aug 19, 2018
Thema:

How to customize UI colors?

1. How to customize UI colors? - Similar Threads - customize colors

2. Windows 11 22H2 Start and Task bar Search Box turned white in custom color mode after last...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2 Start and Task bar Search Box turned white in custom color mode after last...: Around February, after an update, the taskbar search box became white in personal color mode Win - Dark, App - Light. After July 11, 2023—KB5028185 OS Build 22621.1992 update, the start menu search bar turned white in personal mode as well. Is it possible to fix it somehow?...
  3. Windows 11 22H2 Start and Task bar Search Box turned white in custom color mode after last...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2 Start and Task bar Search Box turned white in custom color mode after last...: Around February, after an update, the taskbar search box became white in personal color mode Win - Dark, App - Light. After July 11, 2023—KB5028185 OS Build 22621.1992 update, the start menu search bar turned white in personal mode as well. Is it possible to fix it somehow?...
  4. Windows Color problem when choosing custom mode. The workaround of choosing either Dark or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Color problem when choosing custom mode. The workaround of choosing either Dark or...: I think these problems have something to do with the contrast color, but I have it disabled yet the problem remains. I tried looking up for solutions but it only helped with the task manager text. This has been annoying me for some time and I would appreciate it if anyone...
  5. Windows Color problem when choosing custom mode. The workaround of choosing either Dark or...

Windows Color problem when choosing custom mode. The workaround of choosing either Dark or...: I think these problems have something to do with the contrast color, but I have it disabled yet the problem remains. I tried looking up for solutions but it only helped with the task manager text. This has been annoying me for some time and I would appreciate it if anyone...
  6. Why can I no longer customize my taskbar color?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can I no longer customize my taskbar color?: After the recent Windows 11 Home update 3/17/23, my taskbar color changed without prompting. Now I can't change it back because the option has been greyed out. Changing to Windows dark mode does not fix the issue; the taskbar color is not the same color that I choose.Why have...
  7. Why can I no longer customize my taskbar color?

Why can I no longer customize my taskbar color?: After the recent Windows 11 Home update 3/17/23, my taskbar color changed without prompting. Now I can't change it back because the option has been greyed out. Changing to Windows dark mode does not fix the issue; the taskbar color is not the same color that I choose.Why have...
  8. Continuation of "Custom Color Filters"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Continuation of "Custom Color Filters": A few years ago someone posted the question of custom color filters with no external programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/custom-color-filters/080326b4-46b2-4f71-b88b-8b23939c3330. @vijay A. Verma stated that a third party app would be the only...
  9. Continuation of "Custom Color Filters"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Continuation of "Custom Color Filters": A few years ago someone posted the question of custom color filters with no external programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/custom-color-filters/080326b4-46b2-4f71-b88b-8b23939c3330. @vijay A. Verma stated that a third party app would be the only...
  10. Continuation of "Custom Color Filters"