Windows 10: How to deactivate Windows 10 I got from Microsoft Imagine in order to sell PC

Discus and support How to deactivate Windows 10 I got from Microsoft Imagine in order to sell PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My university is part of Microsoft Imagine program and this is how I got product key for windows. In meantime I got new machine and installed Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bolevole, Jan 24, 2019.

1. bolevole Win User

How to deactivate Windows 10 I got from Microsoft Imagine in order to sell PC

My university is part of Microsoft Imagine program and this is how I got product key for windows.

In meantime I got new machine and installed Windows 10 with same product key.

I want to sell my old PC.

What I have tried:

1. Formatting hard drive did not work, as soon as I reinstalled windows it activated itself with digital license.

2. Running slmgr /upk (In order to uninstall product key) did not work, as soon as I restarted windows activated itself with digital license.

3. Running following commands:

slmgr /upk in order to uninstall product key

slmgr /cpky - this clears product key from registry

slmgr /rearm - to reset licensing status of the machine

At first this seemed to help, I restarted machine several times and windows was deactivated.

But when I performed update of the machine (Windows Update) then it activated itself again.

I simply can not believe there is no easy way to do this.

I do not want to sell my PC with this problem, because even if completely format my HDD, the person who buys it can simply reinstall and get copy of windows for free.

I know that license is somehow tied to my hardware components(motherboard mostly) but changing motherboard is not an option and I find frustrating there is no easy way to do this.

:)

bolevole, Jan 24, 2019
  2. A. User Win User

My university is part of Microsoft Imagine program and this is how I got product key for windows.

In meantime I got new machine and installed Windows 10 with same product key.

I want to sell my old PC.

What I have tried:

1. Formatting hard drive did not work, as soon as I reinstalled windows it activated itself with digital license.

2. Running slmgr /upk (In order to uninstall product key) did not work, as soon as I restarted windows activated itself with digital license.

3. Running following commands:

slmgr /upk in order to uninstall product key

slmgr /cpky - this clears product key from registry

slmgr /rearm - to reset licensing status of the machine

At first this seemed to help, I restarted machine several times and windows was deactivated.

But when I performed update of the machine (Windows Update) then it activated itself again.

I simply can not believe there is no easy way to do this.

I do not want to sell my PC with this problem, because even if completely format my HDD, the person who buys it can simply reinstall and get copy of windows for free.

I know that license is somehow tied to my hardware components(motherboard mostly) but changing motherboard is not an option and I find frustrating there is no easy way to do this.

A. User, Oct 10, 2019
  3. bolevole Win User

The problem is that person who buys my pc and install Windows 10 gets license for free, because even when Windows is completely deleted and reinstalled(which I did), it activates itself again.

bolevole, Oct 10, 2019
  4. How to deactivate Windows 10 I got from Microsoft Imagine in order to sell PC

Hi, bolevole,

If this license is youth you need to fully delete Windows from PC before selling. Boot from installation media, run recovery environment, command prompt and format disk. Or just cancel booting three times in row to get a recovery environment.

Igor Leyko, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

1. How to deactivate Windows 10 I got from Microsoft Imagine in order to sell PC - Similar Threads - deactivate got Microsoft

2. How to change the email in Microsoft account if it got deactivated?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change the email in Microsoft account if it got deactivated?: I forgot to tell my partner that I deactivated my old hotmail account. When he bought a PC for me he registered the windows system under that deactivated email. Now we have no way of switching it to any other account, because there is no way to log into a deactivated email to...
  3. How to change the email in Microsoft account if it got deactivated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the email in Microsoft account if it got deactivated?: I forgot to tell my partner that I deactivated my old hotmail account. When he bought a PC for me he registered the windows system under that deactivated email. Now we have no way of switching it to any other account, because there is no way to log into a deactivated email to...
  4. How to change the email in Microsoft account if it got deactivated?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows got Deactivated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows got Deactivated: Logged on my organization email here on my personal pc, I removed it now, and I'm still getting the "managed by your organization" on my settings, and my windows got deactivated as well....
  6. Windows got Deactivated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows got Deactivated: Logged on my organization email here on my personal pc, I removed it now, and I'm still getting the "managed by your organization" on my settings, and my windows got deactivated as well....
  7. Windows got Deactivated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unlink license and microsoft account in order to sell the computer

Unlink license and microsoft account in order to sell the computer: Hello, could you please help me? I would like to know if it is possible to unlink my windows 10 license from my microsoft account and how because i need to sell my computer. Just to clarify: I want to sell my PC to somebody else WITH the windows license BUT WITHOUT my account...
  9. Windows 10 transferable license deactivation (selling PC)

Windows 10 transferable license deactivation (selling PC): Hello everybody, I’d like to ask about deactivation Windows 10 PC. I have transferable license of Windows 10 on a PC and I would like to sell this PC without this license. Of course, I will format and securely erase HDD, but when new owner makes fresh PC installation,...
  10. Windows 10 got deactivated

Windows 10 got deactivated: I am a Windows 10 Insider for a long time. Today, Windows tells me I am *not activated*. Why after all this time? What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-got-deactivated/e8287cb1-b3b0-4b77-a994-51e79095b21a"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to deactivate windows 10 retail version digital license before selling pc

2. sell pc and deactivate windows