Windows 10: How to deal with the WSL2 and VMware/VBox situation?

Discus and support How to deal with the WSL2 and VMware/VBox situation? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I've recently tried build 19041 on my main PC, mainly for the speed gain of WSL2, but since I still like to use some virtual machines I quickly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/devinster, May 20, 2020.

1. How to deal with the WSL2 and VMware/VBox situation?

Hello,

I've recently tried build 19041 on my main PC, mainly for the speed gain of WSL2, but since I still like to use some virtual machines I quickly noticed that using VMware or even VBox isnt really working out when WSL2/Hyper-V is enabled - Even the version 6.1 of VBox is a no-no for me (Installing Windows on it alone took like almost 90minutes...).

So I had to revert back to 1909, but since 20H1 is dropping soon for everyone I'm a bit worried and I'm trying to find a good deal. I still would love to use WSL2 but I also want to be able to install some virtual machines, mainly for testing out tools and malware analysis.

Can you guys recommend me a good way to have the best of both worlds?

Thank you!

submitted by /u/devinster
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/devinster, May 20, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

Hi Windows Gurus

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs.

I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and it has absolutely NO problem running Guests on VBOX, VMware, and HYPER-V (2nd level VM --very slow though !!) all concurrently as well as VM's on its own platform. OK if you do this you can only passthru hardware to specific VM's - but the normal paravirtualisation works so VM's will run concurrently.

Linux kernel --5.4.13

Here's two W10 VMs running on KVM/QEMU and VMWare concurrently - no problems at all.

How to deal with the WSL2 and VMware/VBox situation? [​IMG]

So this must surely be a Windows issue rather than a VMware or Oracle (VBOX) problem -- I know VMWare is working to get this resolved in a new release -- that means though yet more expense !!! to something that already works on another platform.

I wish Windows developers would concentrate more on these sorts of issues rather than messing about worrying what new icons look like and things like that.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 20, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Vmware or virtualbox?

Hi there

BMW / Audi / Mercedes. Take your choice.

My own view is that VMware is far more robust - but I haven't really messed around with VBOX. Why not try both -- Installing W10 twice is no big deal and there are also converters around to convert from one vm system to another one. Uninstall VMware tools / vbox additions on your GUEST systems before switching vm systems though. There's no reason why you can't have vbox and VMware installed.

Note both these products don't run when HYPER-V is enabled. Similarly HYPER-V won't work unless you uninstall both VMware and Vbox.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 20, 2020
  4. lx07 Win User

How to deal with the WSL2 and VMware/VBox situation?

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

The reason VBox works with Hyper-V role enabled is because they changed their program to make use of the Windows Hypervisor Platform API released in 1809. When VT-x is unavailable VBox will try to fallback to use the Hyper-V framework (a.k.a. NEM or Native Execution Manager). See VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Android Emulator has also been updated to use this but apparently VMWare hasn't yet although according to this blog they are developing it.

Comparing Hyper-V with KVM is difficult as they work differently. Whether it is a type 1 or type 2 (or even if such a distinction makes sense any more) is debatable. See Is KVM a type 1 or type 2 hypervisor?

Thema:

How to deal with the WSL2 and VMware/VBox situation?

1. How to deal with the WSL2 and VMware/VBox situation? - Similar Threads - deal WSL2 VMware

2. How to deal with these?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to deal with these?: I had a bad resetting experience after - the following apps doesn't work and unusable:> Wordpad> MS Store> PaintMoreover, opening text and making batch files, as long as creating things from Paint are all impaired activities.There's a error saying:What to do?...
  3. How to deal with these?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to deal with these?: I had a bad resetting experience after - the following apps doesn't work and unusable:> Wordpad> MS Store> PaintMoreover, opening text and making batch files, as long as creating things from Paint are all impaired activities.There's a error saying:What to do?...
  4. VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset: Hi folks Does anybody here know of the specifications of the VMWare and Vbox virtual Bios and the emulation chipset they use. It must be pretty universal as the paravirtualised hardware works on most devices without issue -- i.e you can copy / move VM's more or less at will...
  5. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  6. WSL2 & VMWare compatibility issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL2 & VMWare compatibility issues: After upgrading to WSL2 (which seems to enable Hyper-V features through the "Virtual Machine Platform" features, even if "Windows Hypervisor Platform" is left unchecked), I haven't been able to run VMWare, getting the error "VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are...
  7. HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently: Hi Windows Gurus I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs. I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and...
  8. Vmware / VBOX Linux guests anyone got bridged networking

Vmware / VBOX Linux guests anyone got bridged networking: Hi folks on WINDOWS 10 Hosts - current 1903 or later builds has anyone got a Linux VM with any kernel > 4.15 to run in Bridged mode with either VBOX or VMWARE. NAT works fine but I need Bridged as these VM's need to be acessible from the whole network Pity it's Bridged...
  9. VMWARE / VBOX etc - Boot VM from USB drive to install GUEST OS

VMWARE / VBOX etc - Boot VM from USB drive to install GUEST OS: Hi there Most VM programs allow you to boot from an ISO image -- useful when installing the Guest OS for the first time. Since now DVD's are going the way of the DODO isn't about time these Virtual Machine software manufacturers such as VMWARE and ORACLE(VBOX) to allow...
  10. W10 on VBox

W10 on VBox: [img] Got a quick fix for that?Latest version of VBox installed... 2024