Windows 10: How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification

Discus and support How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had windows 8 in the first place. Then I upgraded it to windows 10. It worked well and I encrypted some of my files. After two years, having had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by elahegharouni, Mar 31, 2020.

1. How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification

I had windows 8 in the first place. Then I upgraded it to windows 10. It worked well and I encrypted some of my files. After two years, having had problems with my windows 10, I decided to update it. However, my drivers stopped working. Therefore, I formatted my C Drive and installed a new windows 10, but I forgot to decrypt my encrypted files or create a certificate. After installing my new windows 10, I faced some problems with some software I installed. Then I had to repeat formatting and installing. Finally, it worked, but I found my encrypted files do not recognize my new windows 10. Now, I really need my files, which were encrypted in my old windows 10.

I tried to recover files in a windows XP in another system, but it didn't work and my files are still encrypted. Also, I installed Advanced EFS Data Recovery software, which could not help me. What can I do to recover my files?

Thank you

:)

elahegharouni, Mar 31, 2020

2. Windows 10 Encryption/Decryption of Folders/Files 'Certificate'

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

To understand the issue better, I suggest you to answer the below question.

• Were you able to Encrypt the data?
    • Did you get any error message?
    • What exact issue are you facing with Encryption and Decryption?
    Note: The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate.
    If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup,
    you won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 31, 2020
  3. Samuria Win User
    URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

have you tried To decrypt a file or folder:

1. From the Start menu, select Programs or All Programs, then Accessories, and then Windows Explorer.
    2. Right-click the file or folder you want to decrypt, and then click Properties.
    3. On the General tab, click Advanced.
    4. Clear the Encrypt contents to secure data checkbox, and then click OK.
    When you decrypt a folder, you must decide whether to decrypt the folder only or to decrypt the folder and all files and subfolders contained within it. If you choose to decrypt the folder only, the files and subfolders within the folder remain encrypted. However, when you add new files and subfolders to the folder, they will not be automatically encrypted.

Samuria, Mar 31, 2020
  4. Till Win User

How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification

URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

Dear community

This is very urgent and i can't come up with a solution by my own. I'm getting scared that the mess i created isn't fixable.

A while back i created an EFS encryption for my Laptop. As i'm not really an IT expert, i didn't really know what i was doing so i was surprised that now all files i create on my computer were automatically encrypted. What i actually wanted was to encrypt specific files. But i left it for quite a long time because i didn't find a solution to reverse it. It really started to annoy me that i had to decrypt my files every time i wanted to transfer them to another computer. Today i was so annoyed that i tried again to find a solution. I googled and found an instruction on how to delete the encryption certificate. Without really thinking i assumed that by deleting the thing i created some time ago, all the files would decrypt and my problems would be solved. So i didn't hesitate and deleted the certificates. Now all my files are s encrypted, but i can't decrypt them separately anymore.

All my files from university are on this computer and i can't access or decrypt them anymore.

Does anyone have an advice on how to solve this?

Thank your for your help

Thema:

How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification

1. How to decrypt encrypted files created in an old windows without certification - Similar Threads - decrypt encrypted files

2. Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Decrypting\Regaining access to encrypted files from old PC?: Hi,I have some files from my old PC on my secondary HDD that are encrypted by Windows 10. I formatted my primary SSD and my secondary HDD moved to another PC. Now I lost access to those files. Is there any way of regaining access to them or decrypting them?...
  3. Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Decryption of an encrypted file without certificate.: I wanted to format my device since it was a lagging and I was lazy to clean off all the apps, so I simply formatted it and updated it to the new windows 21H1. I was previously on 20H2, and I had some compressed files, which I added a password to encrypted and before...
  4. File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Encryption and Decryption Problem With Certificate Private Key: Hi, so recently i had to do a backup and reset for my laptop and it is just after the reset that i realised that some of my files were encrypted. I had by luck been able to backup the certificates but cannot get access to the files still. It says that the private key is...
  5. Random files deleted, Encrypting File System certificate created

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Random files deleted, Encrypting File System certificate created: Hi all, so TLDR: Files randomly deleted (maybe somehow hidden?) at around 16:39 today. Here's some of the info: Windows version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Microsoft Visual Studio 2019, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, Android Emulator were all running when this...
  6. How to decrypt files that were previously encrypted on windows 7. Misplaced the 'certificate'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to decrypt files that were previously encrypted on windows 7. Misplaced the 'certificate': Hi, My name is Gregory. I encrypted my files using the advanced attributes - encrypt content to secure data, while I was using windows 7. I later formatted my PC and installed windows 10 before decrypting my files. I don't have the 'certificate' to decrypt the files? what can...
  7. URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate: Dear community This is very urgent and i can't come up with a solution by my own. I'm getting scared that the mess i created isn't fixable. A while back i created an EFS encryption for my Laptop. As i'm not really an IT expert, i didn't really know what i was doing so i was...
  8. URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate

in Windows 10 Support
    URGENT!! Decrypt files after deleting encryption certificate: Dear community This is very urgent and i can't come up with a solution by my own. I'm getting scared that the mess i created isn't fixable. A while back i created an EFS encryption for my Laptop. As i'm not really an IT expert, i didn't really know what i was doing so i was...
  9. How Decrypt, Encrypt file?

How Decrypt, Encrypt file?: I saved my Photos in D:Drive. And Encrypt same personal photos by this way{Choose a photo->Right click on it->then properties->Advances option in General->Then choose "Encrypt file to secure data"}. But now I can't open my encrypted photos. And can't Decrypt it. So Please...
  10. Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key

Help Decrypting EFS encrypted files without the backup certificate/private key: I had a windows 7 laptop in which I had stored all the photographs EFS encrypted, without really knowing how it helps or otherwise. I stored these important files in an external hard disk. Subsequently, the laptop stopped working and I have trashed it and bought a new laptop...