Windows 10: How to defragment and move unmovable files?

Discus and support How to defragment and move unmovable files? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I want to "consolidate" (put together) all unmovable files (all those whose names start with $) in the very beginning of C: and then close to that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BrY0n, Jul 2, 2020.

1. BrY0n Win User

How to defragment and move unmovable files?

Hi, I want to "consolidate" (put together) all unmovable files (all those whose names start with $) in the very beginning of C: and then close to that piece I want to put pagefile.sys.
    The thing is that no program I know not only offers to MOVE them but also DOES it. Disktrix for example refused to do anything to pagefile.sys, and AusLogics Disk Defrag Ultimate (offline defragmentation) only DEFRAGMENTED some of the $-files but never even tried to move it to the beginning, and also failed to defragment pagefile.sys (access denied). I mean, those tiny unmovable files are everywhere within the first 1/3 of the disk (i.e. in the fastest area!) so there's no way of putting pagefile.sys there without it being fragmented, so first I need to move together and to the beginning of the disk those weird $-files.

If you have done it - suggest me how to successfully do it, please.

:)

BrY0n, Jul 2, 2020
  2. BrY0n Win User

Hi, I want to "consolidate" (put together) all unmovable files (all those whose names start with $) in the very beginning of C: and then close to that piece I want to put pagefile.sys.
    The thing is that no program I know not only offers to MOVE them but also DOES it. Disktrix for example refused to do anything to pagefile.sys, and AusLogics Disk Defrag Ultimate (offline defragmentation) only DEFRAGMENTED some of the $-files but never even tried to move it to the beginning, and also failed to defragment pagefile.sys (access denied). I mean, those tiny unmovable files are everywhere within the first 1/3 of the disk (i.e. in the fastest area!) so there's no way of putting pagefile.sys there without it being fragmented, so first I need to move together and to the beginning of the disk those weird $-files.

If you have done it - suggest me how to successfully do it, please.

BrY0n, Jul 2, 2020
  3. defrag will not open up in windows 10

Hi Fionna,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better please provide us more information.

• Do you received any error message?

• How are you exactly trying to open defragment? Please elaborate the steps.
    • Which drive are you trying to defrag?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple steps and check if you are able to open the defragment. Follow the below steps.

• Go to file explorer and right click on the drive select Properties.
    • Click on Tool tab and click on Optimize and check if you are able to open defragment.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 2, 2020
  4. How to defragment and move unmovable files?

Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

1. How to defragment and move unmovable files? - Similar Threads - defragment move unmovable

2. does windows 10 automatically defragment files when moving them to a different partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does windows 10 automatically defragment files when moving them to a different partition?: I have a bunch of fragmented files and folders on my external hard drive which has several partitions, if I move these files to another partition do they get defragged in the process or will the files remain fragmented?I am using veracrypt on all of these partitions so I...
  3. does windows 10 automatically defragment files when moving them to a different partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does windows 10 automatically defragment files when moving them to a different partition?: I have a bunch of fragmented files and folders on my external hard drive which has several partitions, if I move these files to another partition do they get defragged in the process or will the files remain fragmented?I am using veracrypt on all of these partitions so I...
  4. File Tree / How to move a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Tree / How to move a file: So is there a "Move File" button in the file explorer or can we just not do that anymore? As a student, I have many files to organize so I've made lots of folders to organize them. Is there a convenient way to move several documents anymore or do I just have to drag each file...
  5. File Tree / How to move a file

File Tree / How to move a file: So is there a "Move File" button in the file explorer or can we just not do that anymore? As a student, I have many files to organize so I've made lots of folders to organize them. Is there a convenient way to move several documents anymore or do I just have to drag each file...
  6. How to defrag a computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to defrag a computer: Does anyone know how to defrag the computer. It's been a long time and I'm not certain where tostart. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-defrag-a-computer/b7e1f0a6-cf1c-47df-838f-bc89189232f9
  7. How to defrag a computer

How to defrag a computer: Does anyone know how to defrag the computer. It's been a long time and I'm not certain where tostart. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-defrag-a-computer/b7e1f0a6-cf1c-47df-838f-bc89189232f9
  8. Volume not shrinking due to an unmovable file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Volume not shrinking due to an unmovable file: My laptop has 512GB SSD. I want to shrink my C: drive. It has over 300GB free but I can only shrink upto 91,508 MB . I have disabled system restore, hibernation and stopped page files from being created. I checked the Application logs to see which file caused defrag...
  9. unmovable files while shrinking

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unmovable files while shrinking: hi im trying to shrink my c drive but because of unmovable files i cant shrink beyond 6GB i have already disabled page files, hibernation and system restore and did the cleanup but still i cant go beyond 6GB.thank you....
  10. Dll missing files , especially defrag files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dll missing files , especially defrag files: Can I check Dll files and fix the missing windows files online, throw Microsoft servers???????ER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/dll-missing-files-especially-defrag-files/db550124-8b60-4162-b902-048a59fe3cb6