Windows 10: How to delay feature updates in Windows 10

Discus and support How to delay feature updates in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The next feature update is just around the corner; Microsoft's twice-a-year schedule for releasing feature updates means that the next upgrade is at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to delay feature updates in Windows 10

The next feature update is just around the corner; Microsoft's twice-a-year schedule for releasing feature updates means that the next upgrade is at the most just six months away.

Microsoft switched to a new servicing model that it calls Windows-as-a-Service when it released Windows 10. Out with the old and in with the new is a proper description of Windows-as-a-Service as Microsoft won't support any one version of the operating system for long periods anymore.

Microsoft's previous operating systems, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 were both supported for ten years. Windows 10 versions are only supported for 18 months on the consumer side and up to 30 months on the Enterprise and Education side. The only exception to the rule is the LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch) edition of Windows 10 for Enterprise customers which is supported for a longer period.

All versions of Windows 10 include options to delay the installation of feature updates. One has to distinguish between professional and "home" versions of Windows 10 though.

Microsoft added options to the user interface of Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, Education and other professional versions of Windows 10 but not to Windows 10 Home.

The following guide describes how you can delay feature updates in every edition of Windows 10.

A short explanation of terms:

• Feature Updates -- Upgrades that install a new version of the operating system, e.g. version 1809 on a system with version 1803 installed.
    • Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) and Semi-Annual Channel -- The core difference between the two is that systems set to Semi-Annual Channel will receive feature updates months after general availability. It is usually a 2 month period and Microsoft refers to this as being ready for wider organizational use.
    Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, Education

All editions of Windows 10 designed for professional use include two user interface options to delay feature updates. Administrators may use the Group Policy Editor or the Settings application to postpone the installation of feature updates.

The Settings app

How to delay feature updates in Windows 10 delay-feature-updates-windows-10.png

The following instructions walk you through the steps of delaying feature updates using the Settings app.

1. Start by opening the Settings app using the Shortcut Ctrl-I. You may also click on Start and select Settings from there if you prefer to use the mouse or touch for that.
    2. Go to Update & Security and select Advanced Options on the page that opens.

The page displays three options to pause or defer updates:

• Pause Updates -- if you select that option, updates are paused for up to 35 days. Updates need to be installed after the period before you may select pause updates again.
    • Branch Readiness Level -- switch the branch readiness level from the default "Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) to "Semi-Annual Channel". The option delays the installation of feature updates until Microsoft deems the update ready for organizational use (usually a 2-month period).
    • Defer feature updates -- Defer a feature update by up to 365 days

The provided options support the blocking of feature updates for up to a year. The "defer feature updates" option gives you full control over the delay; you could set it to 90 or 180 days counting from the day of release.

Group Policy

How to delay feature updates in Windows 10 feature-updates-group-policy.png

The Group Policy Editor offers similar options. Here is what you need to do:

1. Activate the Start button.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and select the result.
    3. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business
    4. Double-click on "Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received".
    5. Set the policy to enabled.

The following options are provided:

• Select the Windows readiness level -- Note that you find preview build options here as well. You can switch to "Semi-Annual Channel" here to defer feature updates; this works identical to setting the Branch Readiness Level in the Settings app.
    • Defer receiving feature updates -- Use this option to defer feature updates by up to 365.
    • Pause Feature Updates -- The option pauses the installation of Feature Updates by up to 35 days.
    All Windows 10 editions (including Windows 10 Home)

How to delay feature updates in Windows 10 windows-10-home-delay.png

Windows 10 Home administrators can't delay updates in the Settings app or using the Group Policy as both options are not available in Home editions.

Feature updates may be delayed in the Windows Registry as well and that option is available in all editions of the operating system.

1. Activate the Start menu.
    2. Type regedit.exe and select the Registry Editor result.
    3. Confirm the UAC prompt.
    4. Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings
      • Note: if any of the keys is missing right-click on the previous one, e.g. WindowsUpdate, and select New > Key to create it.
    5. The Dword BranchReadinessLevel determines if the system's level is set to Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) or Semi-Annual Channel. Set it to 10 for the former and 20 for the latter.
      • Note: if the Dword does not exist right-click on Settings and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    6. The Dword DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodInDays delays the installation of feature updates by the selected number of days.
      • Again, if the Dword does not exist create it using the method described above.

Another option that is available on all Windows 10 editions is to set the connection to metered.

How to delay feature updates in Windows 10 metered-connection.png

1. Open Settings > Network and Internet > Ethernet
    2. Click on any Network connection there one after the other.
    3. On the screen that opens, toggle "Set as metered connection" so that it reads on.
    4. Repeat this for Wi-Fi connections so that all network connections that the PC may make are set to metered.

Feature updates are not downloaded when the PC is connected to a metered connection.

Closing Words

All options may be used to delay the installation of feature updates on a machine running Windows 10. The past has shown, however, that feature updates may get installed anyway even if you set the system to defer them.

Microsoft has upgraded systems forcibly to newer versions even if the PCs were set to defer upgrades to new versions of the operating system.

In any case, it is recommended that you create regular backups of the system so that you may roll back to a previous version when that happens.

Now You: When do you install new feature updates for Windows 10?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to delay feature updates in Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018
  2. MrGenius Win User

Microsoft to make Windows 10 updates mandatory

Well, at the moment at least, you can choose to defer upgrades. Under Settings > Windows Updates > Advanced options you need to check the box labeled "Defer upgrades". What does that do? Good question. The answer I've found might illuminate it to a degree.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/defer-upgrades-in-windows-10

I hear this only applies to Pro and Enterprise editions. But I can't verify that.

MrGenius, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Nov 8, 2018
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. How to delay feature updates in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - delay feature updates

2. How to Disable or Delay Automatic Updates - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Disable or Delay Automatic Updates - Windows 10: My PC is in constant update mode - slowing Word 2021. Can I get very simple directions on how to delay or stop the updates ALL - or do you think it is best to work with Word offline and then try to save in OneDrive without running into this problem?...
  3. How to Disable or Delay Automatic Updates - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Disable or Delay Automatic Updates - Windows 10: My PC is in constant update mode - slowing Word 2021. Can I get very simple directions on how to delay or stop the updates ALL - or do you think it is best to work with Word offline and then try to save in OneDrive without running into this problem?...
  4. How to Disable or Delay Automatic Updates - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Defer or Delay Windows 11 2022 Update or Feature Upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Defer or Delay Windows 11 2022 Update or Feature Upgrades: [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to defer or delay Windows 11 2022 Update or feature upgrades. Microsoft has recently rolled out the Windows 11 2022 Update Version 22H2 and you might already have received it on your Windows 11 PC. If not, you can get the update...
  6. Windows 10 Pro v2004 - Missing Setting for Delaying Feature Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro v2004 - Missing Setting for Delaying Feature Updates: Now that I've updated to v2004, I can no longer delay Feature Updates for my preferred 270-days via Settings/Update & Security/Windows Update/Advanced Options. However, I did find an article at How to Delay Windows 10 Updates PCMag...
  7. I'll be delaying feature updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I'll be delaying feature updates: So the new May 2020 update was released. And I already have some plans related to it. Since I'm on 1909, I won't have the update installed automatically until May 2021 (cool), but I'll still be delaying it just in case. Around the end of June/beginning of July, I'll be...
  8. Delaying Feature Updates

Delaying Feature Updates: I have just installed 1903 (Windows 10 Pro) from an ISO disc and wish to delay feature updates using GPedit I would some help with the following instructions given by MS When Selecting Semi-Annual Channel: - You can defer receiving Feature Updates for up to 365 days. - To...
  9. Feature Update Time Delay Box Grayed Out

Feature Update Time Delay Box Grayed Out: I just updated from Win 10 1709 to 1809 and now the box to delay feature updates for 365 days is grayed out. How can I get access to this again so I can delay feature updates for up to 365 days? This is Win 10 Pro 64 bit. [img] 126456
  10. How to Defer or Delay Windows 10 October 2018 Update or Feature Upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    How to Defer or Delay Windows 10 October 2018 Update or Feature Upgrades: [ATTACH] You can use the Defer Updates option in your Settings, to delay the installation of Windows 10 October 2018 Update v1809 on your computer. Some of you may want to adopt the policy of wait-and-watch and read the reports about [...] This post How to Defer or Delay...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ghacks windows defer feature updates