Windows 10: How to Delay Upgrade

Discus and support How to Delay Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Both of my desktops, running Windows 7 Home Premium, wanted me to reboot to start upgrade. I didn't do anything telling it to do this. At least I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tech4, Jul 29, 2015.

1. tech4 Win User

How to Delay Upgrade

Both of my desktops, running Windows 7 Home Premium, wanted me to reboot to start upgrade.
    I didn't do anything telling it to do this. At least I didn't know I did.
    I let it do the upgrade on my computer and everything went good.
    But my wife doesn't want hers upgraded yet, but it says to reboot to start upgrade. Other than to leave the
    computer on forever is there a way to stop the upgrade until I want it to?
    Both of my laptops, with Windows 7 Home Premium, just say click to start upgrade, not do it on its own.

Thanks for any help.

:)

tech4, Jul 29, 2015

2. How to abort or delay upgrade to Windows 10

Follow How to remove the 'Get Windows 10' app from your PC and cancel your upgrade reservation
    | Windows Central

If the above isn't enough then from an Admin account right click Task Bar to open Task Manager, on Processes tab right click GWX.exe to End Process.

Then Take Ownership of
    C:/windows/System32/GWX folder to Delete it.

When ready to upgrade to Windows 10 save a
    System Image Backup
    so you can go back in 20 minutes if necessary, then use the

Media Creation Tool

We will be glad to help you here work out any issues.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 29, 2015
  3. WEM3 Win User
    How to abort or delay upgrade to Windows 10

I have one computer that runs my business. It currently runs Windows 8.1 and all software and apps are fully functional. I have delayed upgrading to Windows 10 because others in my business say that there are compatibility issues with some of our software.
    Today I got the usual pop-up offering a free upgrade to Windows 10. I clicked on install later, and now it tells me that it will be installed sometime in the next five days. I can't seem to find an abort anywhere. I am scared that come Monday, my business
    will come to a screeching halt either because otherwise fully functioning software no longer will work, or much worse, the upgrade causes my computer to crash and I have no others. Please can you tell me how to abort the Windows 10 install or at least delay
    it until I can hire IT support? Thanks.

Thema:

How to Delay Upgrade

1. How to Delay Upgrade - Similar Threads - Delay Upgrade

2. new upgraded parts, CPU cores doing strange things that lead to lag and input delays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new upgraded parts, CPU cores doing strange things that lead to lag and input delays: So i recently upgraded from i7-9700k, asus prime z390a and 32gb of ddr 4 3200 ram to a i7-13700k, msi z790s wifi, and 32 gbb of 5200 ddr5 ram. never had these issues on my old build.i mainly use it for gaming, playing tarkov on my main monitor while using my second monitor...
  3. new upgraded parts, CPU cores doing strange things that lead to lag and input delays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new upgraded parts, CPU cores doing strange things that lead to lag and input delays: So i recently upgraded from i7-9700k, asus prime z390a and 32gb of ddr 4 3200 ram to a i7-13700k, msi z790s wifi, and 32 gbb of 5200 ddr5 ram. never had these issues on my old build.i mainly use it for gaming, playing tarkov on my main monitor while using my second monitor...
  4. Print delay with upgrade to Win11 Pro 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Print delay with upgrade to Win11 Pro 22H2: We recently upgraded to Win11 Pro 22H2 from our Windows 10 Pro. Now when printing we have at least a 5-8 second delay when sending print jobs to our HP Laserjet P1606dn printers. Thinking it could be an energy saving issue as the printers turn off after every print job. Not...
  5. Print delay with upgrade to Win11 Pro 22H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Print delay with upgrade to Win11 Pro 22H2: We recently upgraded to Win11 Pro 22H2 from our Windows 10 Pro. Now when printing we have at least a 5-8 second delay when sending print jobs to our HP Laserjet P1606dn printers. Thinking it could be an energy saving issue as the printers turn off after every print job. Not...
  6. Defer or Delay Windows 11 2022 Update or Feature Upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Defer or Delay Windows 11 2022 Update or Feature Upgrades: [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to defer or delay Windows 11 2022 Update or feature upgrades. Microsoft has recently rolled out the Windows 11 2022 Update Version 22H2 and you might already have received it on your Windows 11 PC. If not, you can get the update...
  7. Microsoft’s Windows 10X upgrade has been delayed again

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Windows 10X upgrade has been delayed again: Windows 10X, which is Microsoft’s new operating system for Chromebook-like lightweight devices, might not be released to the general computing public until almost the second half of the year. Previously, Microsoft was looking at the ‘Spring 2021’ (March-May) launch timeframe...
  8. Upgrading an older Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 and delays along the way

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading an older Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 and delays along the way: Having the various screens delay a long time without any activity. The screen MAKING SURE YOU ARE READY TO INSTALL has run for over 8 hours now, just spinning it's little icon. Is this going to finish or it is reasonable to assume it has failed and will eventually time...
  9. Delay the problematic mandatory upgrade for a month?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delay the problematic mandatory upgrade for a month?: Yes I do not want the new Windows 10 make upgrade until they fix the problems. I am on the road and do not have the time to be trying to fix it after it screws things up. I have disabled and it still starts up. I have prolonged it for a few days and it still appears it...
  10. Compaq CQ5814 long delay to BIOS screen and fails to wake after Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Compaq CQ5814 long delay to BIOS screen and fails to wake after Windows 10 upgrade: (originally posted at lab.remaker.com) Scenario: A Compaq CQ5814 (5800 Series) AMD CPU with the ArrowwoodD motherboard (AMD Hudson D1 Fusion Control Host, AAHM1-B2) running Windows 10 has the following problems. When powering on after shutdown, there is a long 90...