Windows 10: How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work

Discus and support How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot delete a file with a long filename, the standard technique find the 8.3 filename with DIR /X doesn't work.DIR /x yields05/01/2021 08:08 AM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gmj2, May 1, 2021.

1. gmj2 Win User

How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work

I cannot delete a file with a long filename, the standard technique find the 8.3 filename with DIR /X doesn't work.DIR /x yields05/01/2021 08:08 AM 487,828 MAN Manu Koenig - I am elated that the Nissan dealership on 41st Ave has been canceled. The developer withdrew their approved application for the dealership on the corner of 41st and Soquel. The cost of the project and required infrastructure investments .pdfNote that the command doesn't give a usable 8.3 filename to use in the delete command.Thanks!P.S.

:)

gmj2, May 1, 2021

2. Delete file with long filename "command window method does not work"

Dear all,

I need help to delete a .jpg file with long filename. It came in when I extract .rar.

Tried using cmd method (found on web) to delete it but does not work. while typing "dir" to check the list, it does not show "shortname" for the file.

Tried to type the full name to delete it also don't work. when I type the full name. it returns could not find the file as the filename contain space,

Tried delete the whole folder via cmd and powershell also do not work.

Please help me. Thank you very much.

Hanson Moh, May 1, 2021
  3. Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Thread necro...

When in doubt, use CMD.

1. Run CMD
    2. Use CD <path> to navigate to the directory where the file exists.
    3. Use the DIR command to get the list of files. DIR will likely abbreviate the ridiculously long named file with NAME~1.
    4. Use the MOVE <source> <destination> to give the file a new name. For example: move "NAME~1" "MyShortName"
    5. ...
    6. PROFIT!

CMD is always the answer. *Wink How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work ;)

FordGT90Concept, May 1, 2021
  4. KilluK. Win User

How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work

Impossible to delete a file without DOS-name (short filename) in Windows 10

Hello, please advise how to delete a file from Windows 10. When I try to delete the file (or rename or move it to another folder) I receive error message "The file is no longer located.....". In CDM dir/x I can see that the file hasn't got DOS-name (short
    filename). The file's long name includes weird characters.

Many thanks in advance.

KilluK., May 1, 2021
Thema:

1. How to delete a file with long filename dir /x to get 8.3 file name doesn't work - Similar Threads - delete file long

2. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:"data...
  3. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:"data...
  4. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot delete file with long name

Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:data...
  6. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete file with long name: So I accidentally dragged something from a browser to my desktop which created the following file name:data...
  7. Cannot delete file with long name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Delete files with [TOO] long file names .......

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete files with [TOO] long file names .......: The only post I could find was one from this forum from AUGUST 23, 2017 WINDOWS 7/64, but not Windows 10. That dealt with my problem: DELETING FILES WITH NAMES TOO LONG.The instructions said to: Hi, Windows uses a naming convention called Long Filenames LFN. The LFN system...
  9. Deleting file with long file name

Deleting file with long file name: I have a file, not a folder, on my desktop that exceeds the 256 limit and I have tried everything on line that I can see to delete it but I am unable to do wo. I cannot move it to a folder, I cannot cut and paste it to the recycle bin, I cannot rename it, I cannot Zip it,...
  10. Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot get Long Filenames / directory names to work: Hi folks Anybody been able to get long file names / directory names to work Particularly annoying when downloading music. tagging and copying Music For example this downloaded from BBC R3 (classical music) -- LEGAL BTW !! works fine when I download on Linux server...