Windows 10: How to delete a MBR when partition has already been deleted

Discus and support How to delete a MBR when partition has already been deleted in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was using external drive and was using Macrium Reflect to clone my primary drive once a week. I decided to use a different drive for the cloning and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xpac5896, Aug 9, 2017.

1. xpac5896 Win User

How to delete a MBR when partition has already been deleted

I was using external drive and was using Macrium Reflect to clone my primary drive once a week. I decided to use a different drive for the cloning and decided to delete the partitions on the original drive I was using. I successfully deleted the first two partitions and combined them., the third partition is a different story as I didn't know that it was and MBR Partition and deleted the partition but it is being considered in Disk Management as UNALLOCATED space. I cannot combine this space with the rest. I have two Questions.
    1. Can I use DISKPART CLEAN ALL? Will this remove the partition or
    2. Do I need to use something like EaseUS Partition Master to delete or merge the partition?

Thanks in advance

Windows 10 Version 1703
    OS Build 15063.540

:)

xpac5896, Aug 9, 2017
  2. Linney Win User

Clean installing windows 10

I think Windows chooses what it needs and wants if the hard drive has already been "Initialised". If it is a brand new hard drive that has not been "Initialised" then you may get a choice. MBR Disks are the "old way" and GPT the "new boy on the block".

My advice is try it aiming for an overwrite of a single partition and see if you can get it to install, it will immediately object if it can't. I have found clicking on "New" in the options provided at Setup (in relation to targeting a partition) can help.
    It is only when progress is stymied that you go for deleting all partitions on a hard drive option.

I hope that the above make sense but hard drive and partition formatting is not a daily experience for normal users like you and me so instructions may appear a bit vague.

Whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive

What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?

mbr v gpt - Recherche Google

Linney, Aug 9, 2017
  3. tjmoes Win User
    Win10 Installed 32-bit not 64-bit?

that was a good link but it seems if i delete the partition it turns out its the recovery partition that has the mbr and if i change to the c-drv part. as active partive windows wont start its looking for the mbr

tjmoes, Aug 9, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Aug 9, 2017
  5. xpac5896 Win User
    I was afraid someone would respond with the DISKPART CMD, reason is because the hard drive that has this partition is a 3TB drive. Now you understand why I was hoping not to have to use it but that's ok. That's easier than having to buy a program to do the dirty work.
    I appreciate your response and hope you have a great day. Now it's off to see the wizard and about a day and a half of running Diskpart.

xpac5896, Aug 10, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    MBR isnt a partition its the boot sector that loads the o/s

Samuria, Aug 10, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Yes, well, the other alternative was to simply format it, but that really doesn't wipe the disk. Not sure if there's 3rd party to skip any unwritten sectors and just wipe written ones to use for a disk that big. That's huge! *Shock

You have a great day as well. *Smile

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

No need to spend days *Wink

The diskpart clean command only destroys the partition table - the underlying data remains and is (theoretically) recoverable. It will take a fraction of a second. Conversely clean all will take forever as it writes zeros over the whole disk.

Unless you want to make the old data unrecoverable then all you need to is in diskpart (as in the tutorial linked above)

select drive 1 (or whatever number)
    clean (not clean all)
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick (notice the word "quick" here - this again means it doesn't bother writing 0 over everything and so only takes seconds)

9. Tony K Win User
    Much better answer. Thanks for that, lx07. *Smile

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
  10. xpac5896 Win User
    Granted CLEAN is much faster but when you have bunches of hard drives and want to get rid of the CLEAN ALL is much better. I used CLEAN, in fact I had to use it twice in a row to get the disk cleaned. For some reason the first time I got an error message but the second time it worked. Now all is well in the world (tongue in cheek). Thanks guys, appreciate your help

xpac5896, Aug 10, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. Yes, clean all is better. Depends on what you want to accomplish.

Just curious as to how long it took on 3TB drive?

Tony K, Aug 10, 2017
  12. xpac5896 Win User
    Well, actually it took some time and the reason for it was because I kept getting an I/O error. So I just got sick and tire of it and called WD. A few thing happened. First he told me to us the CLEAN and needless to say we got the I/O error. After that we got into Disk management and it said we had to Initialize the drive which we did and the it wanted to format the drive which you have either MBR or something else, I can't remember what it was but the WD guy said to use the second option which I did but it didn't work. So we deleted the partition, initialized again and tried it again and it still didn't work. So I said lets try rebooting the computer and see what happens. So I rebooted and tried CLEAN and it worked, in fact it worked so fast I hadn't even gotten my finger off the enter key. More than likely it had already cleaned the drive but just got stuck some where. So the disk is fine now. So I'm guessing that if you run into the I/O error after using CLEAN just reboot your computer and use it again and it should work? Who knows, at least it worked here.

xpac5896, Aug 11, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

Cool! Glad you got 'er done. Another day > another thing learned. Now if I can only retain it. Good luck to you.

Tony K, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to delete a MBR when partition has already been deleted - Similar Threads - delete MBR partition

2. how to delete partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to delete partitions: helloi delete my ssd hard with diskpart and get all hard as unlocated space, when i tried to create my first partition suddenly the old 3 partition show up again and can't install windows on any partition...
  3. how to delete partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to delete partitions: helloi delete my ssd hard with diskpart and get all hard as unlocated space, when i tried to create my first partition suddenly the old 3 partition show up again and can't install windows on any partition...
  4. how to delete partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to change an email that has already been deleted

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change an email that has already been deleted: A few months ago I deleted my email and now I forget to change the email for my Microsoft account. When I am trying to change it is says a verification code has been sent but I can not access it since the email has been deleted and there is no other verification method that I...
  6. How to change an email that has already been deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change an email that has already been deleted: A few months ago I deleted my email and now I forget to change the email for my Microsoft account. When I am trying to change it is says a verification code has been sent but I can not access it since the email has been deleted and there is no other verification method that I...
  7. How to change an email that has already been deleted

8. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT: Hello everyone,I am attempting to convert windows 10 installation from MBR to GPT using the MBR2GPT.EXE tool. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptThe documentation states:MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record MBR to the GUID...
  9. how to delete partition

how to delete partition: hi there, a virus attacked my pc few days ago, a did a clean installation today and I choose windows not to keep any file. but I partitioned my hard drive, so I realized one side was still left untouched. I was hoping the clean installation would wipe everything off my hard...
  10. Desktop has been deleted

Desktop has been deleted: I ran an automatic windows update and on restarting my laptop the entire desktop has gone. All I jave is a blank screen with a Recycle bon in the top left hand corner. Any advice please?...