Windows 10: How to delete duplicate system folders?

Discus and support How to delete duplicate system folders? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think I downloaded a .reg file from internet that created double system folders in my computer but I can't remember. They seem to be an extra music,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DavidBergeron, Feb 20, 2016.

1. How to delete duplicate system folders?

I think I downloaded a .reg file from internet that created double system folders in my computer but I can't remember. They seem to be an extra music, videos, documents, pictures and downloads folder but I cannot put any files in the folder. Anyone know how to delete them? There's also a strange name in address bar when I open one of the folders. Also, when I click start and then click a folder liek videos folder then nothing happens.

How to delete duplicate system folders? [​IMG]

:)

DavidBergeron, Feb 20, 2016
  2. Merv-70 Win User

Delete Duplicate System Files

This is for Windows 10 64Bit fully updated

This is a real pain, When I had to revert to an earlier back-up I first copied my C: dive into a temp folder.

After installing the back-up I put the said folder on my C: drive in case I needed any of the files "C:\Temp

I have now tried to delete the Temp folder and everything in it, Most has deleted but I'm left with directories and files I cannot delete.

Directories I cannot delete:

Boot

Program Files

Program Files (x86)

Program Data

Windows

It seems most of the content left is system related.

I am logged on as Administrator, my first error was "you need to get permission from Trusted Installer".

I then tried starting in safe mode but got the same error.

I then tried through Dos with "DELTREE command" It seemed to be working, but when I checked every file had an error "Access denied".

I have tried taking ownership of these files but still no luck. TrustedInstaller has full permissions and all options are greyed out, so I cannot take ownership or stop TrustedInstaller from having ownership.

Even going down to each individual file does not work, this is a total of 9.59GB which is 113.553 files & 24,574 folders

I really need to lose these files as they are doubling the size of my back-ups, also I cannot go back any further or I will lose too much data.

Merv-70, Feb 20, 2016
  3. Merv-70 Win User
    Delete Duplicate System Files

I did in fact fathom this out by myself, after trying many options and disk's that load dos etc. I used "Hirens Boot CD" and after trying several options I loaded a Mini XP system which allowed me to just delete the Whole folder.

Merv-70, Feb 20, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

How to delete duplicate system folders?

philc43, Feb 20, 2016
  5. Thanks for your reply, that link didn't work for some reason. I restarted explorer and restarted computer after using the .reg file but my "this pc" still looks like this:

DavidBergeron, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to delete duplicate system folders?

1. How to delete duplicate system folders? - Similar Threads - delete duplicate system

2. Sort and Delete Duplicate Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort and Delete Duplicate Folders: Hi there!I have about 3500 folders in one directory which I recently renamed with Bulk Rename Utility ....BUT ... I screwed up and now have duplicates of nearly all 3500 folders folder content have been duplicated too.It now looks something like this ...3423 - JOHNSON KS 3423...
  3. Sort and Delete Duplicate Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort and Delete Duplicate Folders: Hi there!I have about 3500 folders in one directory which I recently renamed with Bulk Rename Utility ....BUT ... I screwed up and now have duplicates of nearly all 3500 folders folder content have been duplicated too.It now looks something like this ...3423 - JOHNSON KS 3423...
  4. how to delete a system folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to delete a system folder: How to delete a system folder under This PC which has nothing in it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-a-system-folder/45dd6f83-e577-4e2b-aa84-9e10b13bfcf4
  5. how to delete a system folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to delete a system folder: How to delete a system folder under This PC which has nothing in it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-a-system-folder/45dd6f83-e577-4e2b-aa84-9e10b13bfcf4
  6. Delete multiple duplicate folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete multiple duplicate folders: I dont know where to post this question, but maybe there is a windows trick that would help me with my problem: So I downloaded 3 modpacks and added all in a mods folder, and it summed 3250 mods and assets files, but I see that many of those files are repeated. How do I...
  7. Cannot Delete a Duplicated Folder

Cannot Delete a Duplicated Folder: I used an installer to install a game on my Games folder. The game didn't appear on my folder, and once i moved my original folder to a different location a new games folder appeared and the new installed game was right there. I deleted the game, but the folder could not be...
  8. How to delete Duplicated System Folders from "This PC"

How to delete Duplicated System Folders from "This PC": Hi Team, Good day. In my PC there are some duplicate System Folders created automatically [ATTACH] I have tried to make changes in registry "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" but no use. Kindly advise....
  9. Duplicate System Folders

Duplicate System Folders: This issue has been confusing me for many weeks now and I'm not too sure how to solve it or even ask for help. So basically I'm supposed to have one folder for pictures and one for videos by default. For some reason I have two video folders and none for pictures. The strange...
  10. how to delete duplicate files in the same folder

how to delete duplicate files in the same folder: how to delete duplicate files in the same folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-duplicate-files-in-the-same-folder/bc4d2a1e-02cf-44ef-a9cf-c907c2863472"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to delete duplicate folders on the system files