Windows 10: How to delete errant files in System Restore with stubborn permissions

Discus and support How to delete errant files in System Restore with stubborn permissions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I found out today that some glitch in System Restore resulted in a almost 50GB of files that can not be deleted due to permissions. I've tried a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Intoxicus, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Intoxicus Win User

How to delete errant files in System Restore with stubborn permissions

I found out today that some glitch in System Restore resulted in a almost 50GB of files that can not be deleted due to permissions. I've tried a few things I googled and so far only was able to delete part of them. What's the best way to change permissions of the files in a way where I can finally delete them? It's a Windows Apps folder and the files are related to XBox Game Pass games. If you need more information let me know what you need please. Thank you.

:)

Intoxicus, Jun 14, 2021
  2. Scoka Win User

File permissions to delete file

I am trying this, but it's taking a very long time.

Scoka, Jun 14, 2021
  3. Hydrate Win User
    File permissions to delete file

Windows is extremely confusing in its permissions and file ownership.*Sad

If Taking Ownership of the files does not work, then the ACL and permissions are misconfigured.

Permissions precedes the ownership, you can have ownership but incorrect permissions in accordance with the ACL Access Control Lists (Windows).

Microsoft - How Permissions Work

I suggest that you open powershell (Search > type powershell > Right click > run as admin) and execute this command:

Code:
    This command restores permissions to default for all files contained within C:\ quietly.

Followed by this command once completed:

Code:
    This command restores full permissions to the Administrators on the computer, which I presume you are an Administrator.

And reboot the computer, and finally attempt to delete the file after attempting to retake ownership.

If that does not work, then I suggest using a third party utility known as UnlockIT:
    Downloads - UnLock IT

And download, install. Ensure you select customized installation.

Right click the folder that contains the files or the files individually that you would like to delete, and follow as here:

How to delete errant files in System Restore with stubborn permissions wrqPMO6.png

Then this should delete all files you right clicked upon after restarting the system.

You should not run into issues regarding permissions after this, and if you do, post again and I'll look into it.

Side note: often times malware tends to hijack a system and fluff itself in permissions that benefit itself.

Hydrate, Jun 14, 2021
  4. suraswami Win User

Deleted file restore software.

Shute I never thought about system restore. But its been more than a week now, don't know if I can go back that far. But even then will it put back user files?

suraswami, Jun 14, 2021
Thema:

1. How to delete errant files in System Restore with stubborn permissions - Similar Threads - delete errant files

2. How to acquire permission to delete files which are restricted by SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to acquire permission to delete files which are restricted by SYSTEM: I recently found that my system is consuming more than 15GB of extra space without my knowledge. I updated Windows and some Intel graphic drivers. I used a third party app and found this:I have deleted this type of folder multiple times but this time it can't be deleted! It's...
  3. How to acquire permission to delete files which are restricted by SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to acquire permission to delete files which are restricted by SYSTEM: I recently found that my system is consuming more than 15GB of extra space without my knowledge. I updated Windows and some Intel graphic drivers. I used a third party app and found this:I have deleted this type of folder multiple times but this time it can't be deleted! It's...
  4. Delete Stubborn Desktop Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete Stubborn Desktop Icon: I need help please deleting the following Desktop Icon. If I right click on the Icon the following short menu pops up, but there is no "Delete" Option. If I select "Properties" from the menu I receive the following message. How do I remove this unwanted Icon ?...
  5. Are system restore files deleted automatically?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Are system restore files deleted automatically?: I wanted to ask that can widows delete system restore files automatically?.....<original title - Pls help me only want to ask one doubt> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-system-restore-files-deleted-automatically/20eb73cf-c6ab-4568-bdb4-984ad1f06abe
  6. System Restore - Deleting user files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore - Deleting user files.: Hi there, My computer keeps freezing every couple of months and I need to format it. I have a lot of software that I need for my work and they take a long time to download. I want to use System Restore to go back to when I formatted and installed the software. I know System...
  7. System restore is stubborn: error code: 0x80070017

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System restore is stubborn: error code: 0x80070017: around at 1:00pm I went into the BIOS settings and made these changes "virtualization technology" , "Battery remaining time" and "Network boot". I was trying to restore an old HP laptop that is 2016 or 2015 but after i did all the changes it would not let me onto my account...
  8. How to Restore Deleted Files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Restore Deleted Files?: I transferred photos and videos from my iPhone to a newly created folder iPhone Pics 6 on my laptop. Then by mistake, I pressed some keys maybe ctrl + z, then the iPhone Pics 6 folder disappeared. I tried to undo what I did, then in a flash a window opened saying 1770 files...
  9. permission in system to delet a old file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    permission in system to delet a old file: I am trying to delete windows old and it says I must get permission in system. Can someone tell me how?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-in-system-to-delet-a-old-file/37288221-5ac2-4f1d-b943-5ef798ac8c36"
  10. Require SYSTEM permission to delete this file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Require SYSTEM permission to delete this file: So I have having issues with Windows defender sucking up my RAM. I was attempting to remedy this issue but every time I go to try to do anything that requires administrator permission I get told that I need system permission to do it. I am logged in on an Administrator...