Windows 10: How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive?

Discus and support How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Newbie question... I have an EXT3 formatted drive. Whilst using Linux Reader I can copy files from this drive to my desktop PC. All fine. Linux... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tfwul, Oct 15, 2019.

1. tfwul Win User

How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive?

Newbie question...

I have an EXT3 formatted drive. Whilst using Linux Reader I can copy files from this drive to my desktop PC. All fine.
    Linux Reader, being a 'reader', obviously does not allow deleting files.
    Gave ext2fsd a try, but the delete option is greyed out for some reason.

Then I activated WSL (in Windows Features)
    Installed ubuntu from the Microsoft store.
    Got as far as the Linux command prompt.
    Entered username, password.
    Okay so far.

Now from this point on, I would like to:
    a. have a list of the drives (let's say similar to: "diskpart" + "list disk")
    b. change drive/select drive to the external drive
    c. delete the file, which consists of multiple words with spaces (like: rm "this file should be deleted.txt")

Am not a Linux user, probably never will be.

Did check out some sites (with basic commands for beginners) but regretfully could not find the commands to perform a. and b. above.

Deleting some files is the only thing I need to do.

Thanks.

(Windows 10 x64 v1903)

:)

tfwul, Oct 15, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

How to delete contents of a Linux formatted external disk?

Here is a perfect solution for what you want to do even thought some features will not be available with free version.
    Download the Free, Portable version of Partition Manager Guru, unzip and run.

How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive? [​IMG]

1. Don't need to know any Linux commands
    2. Don't need to create Linux Live CD
    3. Don't need to install any drivers
    4. Run as portable program in Windows (no installation required).
    5. Read/write/delete file(s) from and to ext2/ext3/ext4
    6. Double click on the image/media file will open the internal player for preview.

Here's an example: Reading Linux Mint partition->Home->User->Pictures folder:

How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Oct 15, 2019
  3. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Oct 15, 2019
  4. How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive?

CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

I had the very same problem and this worked perfectly!!!

PaulMisener, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive?

1. How to delete files from external EXT3 formatted drive? - Similar Threads - delete files external

2. Deleting files from external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting files from external USB hard drive: This Windows 11 is something else. Not sure if this was a smart thing to do. But the damage is done.I am trying to delete some folders and all files on an external usb drive. The system is telling me I need administrator permission to do this. What am I supposed to do....
  3. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  4. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  5. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to delete hidden files in D formatted drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to delete hidden files in D formatted drive?: i formatted D Drive Completely and its empty. But when im using defraggler theres a files 117.9 MB files are still there. how to delete them? [ATTACH] 173930
  7. deleting files from external hard drive

deleting files from external hard drive: trying to delete and getting error code 0*80070570, what does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-files-from-external-hard-drive/8390b5f9-4abf-4ff3-aa8d-29caf58d76e1"
  8. Deleted external drive files

Deleted external drive files: I tried posting in the technical community but no one replied. Windows 10 was updating and seemed to add my external WD drive to a Storage Spaces. When I tried to recover it using a restore tool it turned the files into something it doesn't recognize when I try to open...
  9. HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES

in Windows 10 Customization
    HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES: HOW TO CLEAN UP AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM DELETED FILES OR DEFREGMENT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-clean-up-an-external-drive-from-deleted/f46dc7ce-95ca-4db4-97cc-37f1ddb52a7f
  10. My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4: Hi hope this is the right place and someone can help. I had to convert my external hdd to ext3 ext4 in order to use with a zgemma box but I now want my hdd back to normal by formating it but my PC doesn't recognise it I done a long search on Google but no joy so I would...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. linux reader delete files