Windows 10: How to delete large folder >500 MB with thousands of files fast?

Discus and support How to delete large folder >500 MB with thousands of files fast? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Win10, I have tried windows explorer and all the suggestions on the internet about this and it doesn't work. I have tried cmd/powershellAdmin with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pran105336, Apr 7, 2020.

1. How to delete large folder >500 MB with thousands of files fast?

In Win10, I have tried windows explorer and all the suggestions on the internet about this and it doesn't work. I have tried cmd/powershellAdmin with commands such asDEL /F/Q/S *.* > NUL and it doesnt appear to work. When I use explorer, it takes hours to delete a large folder 500 MB? on my external drive. I sometimes backup my Win10 hard drive to an external drive and would like to erase multiple backups but each backup takes hours to delete......What does Microsoft engineers and coders do to delete large folders....they certainly do no wait hrs to delete one large folder? For example, Ive used this link to try to use the cmd and also a batch file methods.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/18/how-to-delete-large-folders-in-windows-super-fast/

The above would just look at me for > hr....so I didn't know if was working or not...So need to go to the source, Microsoft, and ask them what do your

engineers do to erase files quickly without formatting the whole drive.....so surgically I want to delete large folders on my external drive.......what is a sure bet way of making it so.....Thanks in advance.

:)

pran105336, Apr 7, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused How to delete large folder >500 MB  with thousands of files fast? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well How to delete large folder >500 MB  with thousands of files fast? :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Apr 7, 2020
  3. Files & Folders View as medium or large Icons

To assist you better, we would suggest that you try to follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large or any icon you wanted to use. Alternatively, you can use the following shortcut keys on the keyboard to
      change your View settings:
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 1 Extra Large
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 2 Large icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 3 Medium Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 4 Small Icons
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 5 List
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 6 Details
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 7 Tiles
    • CTRL + SHIFT + 8 Content
    3. Once you have the view set, you can make it the default view for

every folder.

4. Click Apply, then click OK.

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Apr 7, 2020
  4. SamPesner Win User

How to delete large folder >500 MB with thousands of files fast?

Purged deleted folder

I deleted a large folder by accident. It was apparently too large for the recycle bin and was purged. I need it back. My backup to a Seagate external drive does not find the most recent version of the folder intact (as a separate entity) but instead shows
    thousands of individual files, many of which are unreadable. Any suggestions?

SamPesner, Apr 7, 2020
Thema:

How to delete large folder >500 MB with thousands of files fast?

1. How to delete large folder >500 MB with thousands of files fast? - Similar Threads - delete large folder

2. Thousands of files in bizarre C:\ folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thousands of files in bizarre C:\ folder: I'm running Windows 11 Home on an HP laptop with 500GB of space, but only have 50GB left. This is odd as I only have about 100GB of documents and not many apps.I was reviewing my usage and the thing that takes up most space 250GB! is a folder in C:\Jau[ovXS= full name covered...
  3. Thousands of files in bizarre C:\ folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thousands of files in bizarre C:\ folder: I'm running Windows 11 Home on an HP laptop with 500GB of space, but only have 50GB left. This is odd as I only have about 100GB of documents and not many apps.I was reviewing my usage and the thing that takes up most space 250GB! is a folder in C:\Jau[ovXS= full name covered...
  4. how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?: I have a folder full of subfolders which themselves are full of subfolders with images, I want to delete the folders themselves but keep the images. I've been trying to use the search:*kind:picture tool to do it but there are so many images that file explorer keeps crashing...
  5. how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?

how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?: I have a folder full of subfolders which themselves are full of subfolders with images, I want to delete the folders themselves but keep the images. I've been trying to use the search:*kind:picture tool to do it but there are so many images that file explorer keeps crashing...
  6. Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file: My computer takes a long time to download a small filesmall file = around 200Mb, but it takes a short time to download a large filelarge file = 10Gb...
  7. Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file: My computer takes a long time to download a small filesmall file = around 200Mb, but it takes a short time to download a large filelarge file = 10Gb...
  8. Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file

9. Deleted a folder containing thousands of files; canceled during delete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted a folder containing thousands of files; canceled during delete: I deleted a folder containing over 15,000 small wave files. I canceled while my computer was moving the files to the Recycle Bin. All of the contents in the folder have disappeared. Where did these files go?...
  10. deleting thousands of ransomware ruined files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    deleting thousands of ransomware ruined files: I have about 12,000 data files that were ruined by the RSA-2048 ransom ware. I want to get rid of these useless files quickly and easily. I need a program or batch file to delete these files. I am not going to pay them for a key. Any suggestions? Paul...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how ro delete large files from hdd quickly