Windows 10: How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?

Discus and support How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We have a DellUltra with ~230 gb hard drive/64-bit, running Windows 10 Home version and subscribe to Office 365. We have less than 1 GB of space left,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MMR_55, Nov 26, 2022.

1. MMR_55 Win User

How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?

We have a DellUltra with ~230 gb hard drive/64-bit, running Windows 10 Home version and subscribe to Office 365. We have less than 1 GB of space left, and using TreeSize it seems most of the ~140 GB in "Other" storage is taken up by older system recovery backup files. documents are only 2 GB, photos about 20. I cannot delete these. In TreeSize it says I need admin privileges. When I tried the Disk Cleanup App with More Options to delete all but the latest backup, that didn't do anything asked if I was sure I wanted to delete them and I clicked Yes but nothing happened. Ideas? Otherw

:)

MMR_55, Nov 26, 2022

2. Windows 10 C://system recovery/Repair/Backup files - can I delete them

Hi Mike,

The files that you found in C://System Recovery/Repair/Backup were backup of your data files or system images created in the past. You can safely delete them by running disk cleanup or by manually deleting them.

To remove the files using disk cleanup, please see
    Disk cleanup in Windows 10.

To manually remove the files, follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Under System and Security, click Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
    • Click Manage space to open Manage Windows Backup disk space page.
    • Under Data file backup, click View backups to view all Data File backups.
    • Delete the backups you do not need.
    • On the Manage Windows Backup disk space page, under System image, click
      Change settings.
    • You'll then find the following options:

• Let Windows manage the space used for backup history
    • Keep only the latest system image and minimize space used by backup.

8. Select the second option. This will delete your earlier system images and keep only the latest ones.

9. Click OK.

Let us know if you need further information.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Nov 26, 2022
  3. Windows 10 C://system recovery/Repair/Backup files - can I delete them

I'm not hesitant at all! I did try your suggestions and they made no differance.

I have now deleted all the files in the C://System Recovery/Repair/Backup folder using Treefree and got my 4GB back. But I cannot delete the C://System Recovery/Repair or C://System Recovery/ folders themselves as there remains one folder C://System Recovery/Repair/Temp
    which is a system file (apparently empty) and I do not know how to delete it so I can get rid of the empty folders entirely.

Mike

Mikecmirador, Nov 26, 2022
  4. Mussels Win User

Data backup and recovery help thread

We get heaps of threads on this, so lets make a nice organised list of programs people can use for backing up, restoring, and recovering data.

For a quick start to this, some pointers.

1. If you formatted a drive and did NOT write to it, recovery is possible. If you installed any data over it (such as windows, or copying files to it) then you need to restore a backup, or accept that you will have lost some, most, or all of your data.

2. Backups are not perfect - for example, a virus that killed your machine could also be in your backup. try and backup your important data first, not your operating system and useless files - and store it in more than one place if possible (for example, an external hard drive AND on DVD)

Now to the programs:

Free Data recovery software
    Piriform Recuva - Highly recommended by TPU users, myself included.

The following were listed by 95viper in another thread, i dont know if he's reccomending them or just listed them.
    Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier A nice one.*Smile How to delete  large, older System Recovery backup files? :)
    UNDELETE 360
    Free File Recovery 1.1
    Glary Undelete
    UndeletePlus[/QUOTE]

Paid Data recovery software

Free backup/restore software

Paid backup/restore software
    Acronis True Image Home
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 2011 (Paid)[/QUOTE]

please people, help me fill in the blanks so i can request this to get stickied. *Smile How to delete  large, older System Recovery backup files? :)

Mussels, Nov 26, 2022
Thema:

1. How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files? - Similar Threads - delete large older

2. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  3. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file history not deleting older backups: For some reason, my file history is not deleting old backups. As a result, my drive gets full. I have to go in and manually wipe them out and start overAny suggestions appreciated?Thanks in advance...
  4. file history not deleting older backups

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?: We have a DellUltra with ~230 gb hard drive/64-bit, running Windows 10 Home version and subscribe to Office 365. We have less than 1 GB of space left, and using TreeSize it seems most of the ~140 GB in "Other" storage is taken up by older system recovery backup files....
  6. How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete large, older System Recovery backup files?: We have a DellUltra with ~230 gb hard drive/64-bit, running Windows 10 Home version and subscribe to Office 365. We have less than 1 GB of space left, and using TreeSize it seems most of the ~140 GB in "Other" storage is taken up by older system recovery backup files....
  7. File history, browse older files form an older backup drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history, browse older files form an older backup drive: Hello! I've been using file history for years, and there was a moment that the external drive was full, by that time file historysuggested to add a new drive, which I did, since I wanted to keep those old files. Since then I am using this new drive. Now I'm searching for a...
  8. How to Delete Backup Files in Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Delete Backup Files in Windows: HOW TO DELETE THIS DAMN PROCESS FOREEVER AND ALSO DRIVE......... I MEAN BACK UP DRIVE PERMINENTALY.............[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-backup-files-in-windows/414eb5ef-1d90-4e07-9694-67fcbfa61d2d
  9. Unable to delete large = 100Gb backup files to recover HDD space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to delete large = 100Gb backup files to recover HDD space: I now using AMOEI products for file backup / partition management, now I have created some backup files differential that are 100Gb I need to delete to recover disk space. When I try to use std Windows delete function I have left for 5 hours and it still says "calculating"...
  10. Create recovery drive with "backup of system files" option.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create recovery drive with "backup of system files" option.: Hello friends! I have a little doubt regarding the creation of a recovery disc.When starting the creation of a recovery unit, if I select the option "Back up system files to the recovery drive", according to the media creation program, I can perform a Windows installation...