Windows 10: How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

Discus and support How to delete $Windows.~BT folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have spent a lot of time trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my three year old Dell Inspiron desktop, but cannot do so. I'm no techie, but it seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by StevenSpring, Jan 5, 2017.

1. How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

I have spent a lot of time trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my three year old Dell Inspiron desktop, but cannot do so. I'm no techie, but it seems to me that it is a $Windows.~BT folder that is preventing me from doing so. From what I have read, Windows should have done so ten days after I upgraded from 8.1.

I have tried everything that I found online to do so, but nothing works. I was however, able to remove the $Windows.~WS folder. The $Windows.~BT folder appears to be empty, however, when I try to just delete it, I receive the dreaded "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder" error message, even though I am the only person assigned to the computer. I tried to change the administrator setting, but again, nothing seems to work.

I got so frustrated that I bought a new Inspiron a couple of weeks ago. I've been wanting another computer as to have a backup and to run Media Player, freeing up the new Dell for my photography. It seems that Media Player slows down both Photoshop and Picasa programs.

I've reinstalled Windows many times over the years, and never had any problems (ok, not many) until Windows 10 came along. Is there a simple way to remove this troublesome folder so I can reinstall 10?

Thanks!!!
    Steven

:)

StevenSpring, Jan 5, 2017
  2. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums!

That is normal behaiour. Any action that requires admin privileges will trigger that prompt. That is because (for safety) most of the time you are running processes as a standard user, even if your account is an administrator. Just click 'Continue' and the action will go ahead with admin rights. If you are only a standard user, clicking 'Continue' will bring up a UAC prompt asking for the password of an administrator account, type it and click 'Yes' to complete the action. Either way, $Windows.~BT can be deleted, I've done so myself many times.

If you don't get the UAC prompt with a 'Yes' button, then it means you have no administrator accounts on your PC, which could explain the trouble you are having.

You should always have at least one administrator account on a PC for maintenance purposes. Some users have thought it 'safer' to change their login account to a standard user, not realising that if it's the only account on the PC they'll no longer be able to manage their PC effectively. Is that what you have done?

Bree, Jan 5, 2017
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    Ummm......if you want to re-install Windows 10 then you boot the computer from a Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or a DVD, select the custom install option, select each partition on the hard drive one by one and delete each one until you end up with an unallocated space. (If you have a separate partition created for your data files only then you keep that one.) Then you highlight the unallocated space and click next. No folders, including $Windows.~BT, on the C: drive will interfere with that because you are deleting the entire partition at the drive level.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2017
  4. How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

Bree, thank you so much for replying so quickly to my post. You're right in that I was the only account created on the computer. I was able to figure out how to change the setting to the hidden administrator. At least I thought I did. It shows me as the administrator in the start menu and I have a different desktop (a blue/purple (I'm colorblind) screen with the Windows logo with a light shining through it). I first tried running disk cleanup, but I did not get the "clean up system files" option. I ran it again with the same results.

I then tried to delete the folder via file explorer but I get a "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder" error message.

Did I not get signed in as the hidden administrator, or is this folder just being difficult?

Steve

StevenSpring, Jan 5, 2017
  5. I do believe if you run the Media Creation Tool, to download an ISO or create Windows 10 install media, it will create that folder. It uses it as storage for the files needed to create the ISO or bootable thumb drive. It's never been an issue for me, I just ignore it. I do as NavyLCDR does. I delete all partitions (except my data partition) and install into the unallocated space.

alphanumeric, Jan 5, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have to do two things, and you can do both of these from your standard user account with administrator privileges. 1. You have to take ownership of the folder, and click the check box that says apply changes to subfolders and files. Then 2. Add a permission to the folder for your own user account and assign it full rights, also checking the box for assigning the permissions to subfolders and files.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2017
  7. Lieutenant Commander, thank you for trying to help me with my problem. Properties shows that I have Full Control for Authenticated Users, SYSTEM, Administrators & Users. The Owner of $Windows.~BT is listed as SYSTEM, so I changed it to Administrators. But again, it will not allow me to delete the folder.

Something that I have noticed was that the folder was listed as Read Only, which I unchecked and applied the changes. However, every time I open Properties, Read Only is always checked.

Could this possibly be the problem? If so, any idea on how to fix it?

Thanks!!!
    Steve

StevenSpring, Jan 6, 2017
  8. SIW2 Win User
  9. I wanted to thank every one who tried to help me with my problem. Nothing worked. I had to give up because, as a life-long sufferer of depression, I had to quit before something terrible happened to my computer. Or to me.

Thanks for all your help!!!
    Steven

StevenSpring, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

1. How to delete $Windows.~BT folder - Similar Threads - delete $Windows ~BT

2. $windows.~bt folder will not delete and is not deleted by disk cleanup run as administrator.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    $windows.~bt folder will not delete and is not deleted by disk cleanup run as administrator.: The $windows.~bt folder has never been a problem but after an inplace upgrade to cure a failed update this week, the folder and 16 gigs of data would not delete! All the techs are telling me it is an essential part of the OS. But unless something changed in the terrible...
  3. $WINDOWS.~BT Folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    $WINDOWS.~BT Folder: Hello, I noticed that there is $WINDOWS.~BT 20kb disk size Folder and ESD folder which i have deleted because its empty on my system? Is it created because i ran the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool? Is it safe to delete since I'm done downloading the Windows 10 ISO?...
  4. $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    $Windows.~BT folder: After upgrading mother board windows changed the file system on all drives not the boot drive to $Windows.~BT folder. How do i get my data back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windowsbt-folder/4a350342-ad66-4f02-af41-4090c3dfb7fa
  5. how to delete Windows BT folder ??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to delete Windows BT folder ??: I am trying to do a fresh windows install via Refresh Tool and cant because it says couldn't start please try after pc reboot.After quite a bit of google-ing i found out that i need to delete the Windows BT Folder, but i can't even in safe mode because it says that i need...
  6. Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT

Can we safely delete folder $WINDOWS~BT: I read an article that this file is actually a older version of window 10 than I'm currently using. My first question is why doesn't my C: drive show the size of any folder? Can we see theirs size some how? There is also a file folder called PerfLogs on my C: drive. I...
  7. What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?

What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?: In my C: drive, there is a folder that's called $WINDOWS.`BT. I don't really know what it is. From the looks of it, it's doesn't have anything important. Is it safe to delete it? Or is it important?...
  8. How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS

How to delete $WINDOWS. ~BT and $WINDOWS. ~WS: I'm having a hard time deleting these. Can you help me with it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-windows-bt-and-windows-ws/f8114f56-c673-427c-b203-04d69552d0ea"
  9. windows bt folder

in Windows 10 Support
    windows bt folder: I've just noticed this; a $WINDOWS.~BT folder has showed up in my local disk (C drive). It's dated 9/11/2017. I've never seen one in there before....so why is it in there now? 94083
  10. Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows~BT folder before upgrade: Hi, I have downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO using Media Creation Tool and I wanted to know if it is safe to delete the Windows~BT folder before doing the upgrade. Will it cause some mess with the upgrade process if I delete it or just to leave it intact? Thanks,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to empty $WINDOWS.~BT