Windows 10: How to designate a boot drive.

Discus and support How to designate a boot drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Win 10 I recently put an SSD drive in my computer. Using Paragon I was able to copy from my original drive to the SSD. The new drive worked well as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Marhkco, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Marhkco Win User

How to designate a boot drive.

Win 10

I recently put an SSD drive in my computer. Using Paragon I was able to copy from my original drive to the SSD. The new drive worked well as a C drive. I then hooked up the OLD drive via eSATA. (Direct connection, not a PCB) Even if I select the OLD drive as a startup using F12 ( which brings up the bios boot drive selector in my bios) - I still can't boot from the OLD drive (which was the boot drive before I moved it). The boot process defers to the new drive during the boot process.

So, do I have to switch the internal connections to allow the OLD drive to boot? Or is there a bios selection that I can use?

Thanks

Mark

:)

Marhkco, Sep 6, 2018
  2. JohnCPR Win User

Incorrect Drive Designations

I have a custom made video editing hex core PC with 10 drives of which 8 are used to increase speed by minimizing reads and writes to the same drive at a time.

• 3 are SSD drives
    • 4 are 7200rpm 1 TB HD configured as 2 RAID 0 for speed to reduces capacity cost versus using SSD.
    • 2 are HD external USB backup drives.
    • 1 is USB3 fast PNY memory stick.

In the Optimize Drive listing, most are correctly designated as SSD or Hard disk drives except for 2 problems as follows:

• The USB3 PNY and 1 SSD drive are shown as Hard disk drives.
    • Two additional \\?\Volume(0c25d959-etc.) are shown as Solid state drives.
    How should I deal with the incorrectly designated items in item 1 and the 2 unknown drives in item 2?

JohnCPR, Sep 6, 2018
  3. btarunr Win User
    Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Sep 6, 2018
  4. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

1. How to designate a boot drive. - Similar Threads - designate boot drive

2. How to boot to USB drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to boot to USB drive?: I made a bootable USB drive using Rufus, but can’t find how to boot to it. I’m using a Mac using boot camp, so I don’t have access to the BIOS and when I go to advance startup options and then use USB, the bootable drive I made isn’t listed. I know it’s possible, because I...
  3. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?: I tried to change a drive from F to D. However now it is showing D: F: I tried renaming it, using properties, and a number of other suggestions on the internet but to no avail. How do I get it to just show D: without the F: behind it?...
  4. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?: I tried to change a drive from F to D. However now it is showing D: F: I tried renaming it, using properties, and a number of other suggestions on the internet but to no avail. How do I get it to just show D: without the F: behind it?...
  5. How do I change a drive designation when it now has two designations?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. How to make drive boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to make drive boot: I recently posted a thread where I had "bricked" my PC by messing about with Acronis Disk Director 12.5. I thought I'd lost the BIOS, somehow. I hadn't. The problem now is to get the HDD to boot Win10 with that same PC. When installed, the PC shows no HDD present but, if I...
  7. How to make drive boot

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make drive boot: I recently posted a thread where I had "bricked" my PC by messing about with Acronis Disk Director 12.5. I thought I'd lost the BIOS, somehow. I hadn't. The problem now is to get the HDD to boot Win10 with that same PC. When installed, the PC shows no HDD present but, if I...
  8. How to Boot into a hard drive

How to Boot into a hard drive: Hi, So I installed windows on a hard drive, I just don't know how to boot into that hard drive. I went into boot options, I tried every single option and it just says, "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY." I tried...
  9. How to change boot drive

How to change boot drive: How to change boot drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-boot-drive/ca24decb-8806-4359-bdd6-6cc38d1d4d43
  10. Drive letter designations after Dual Boot install

Drive letter designations after Dual Boot install: Hi, I've installed W10 in my laptop in a dual boot configuration with W7 successfully. I used this tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...ndows-8-a.html I'm setting up to do the same thing in my desktop and have a couple questions about drive letter designation...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to designate boot drive windows 10

2. how to designate a drive status as boot