Windows 10: How to detect which graphics adapter has monitors connected

Discus and support How to detect which graphics adapter has monitors connected in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; We have an issue with some Dell Wyse thin clients running W10 2019. The devices are fitted with an onboard Intel UHD 605 display adapter with full size... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by PRF96, May 24, 2021.

1. PRF96 Win User

How to detect which graphics adapter has monitors connected

We have an issue with some Dell Wyse thin clients running W10 2019. The devices are fitted with an onboard Intel UHD 605 display adapter with full size display port outputs and an AMD Radeon E9173 with mini DP outputs. Most have their monitors connected to the dedicated AMD display adapter but some are cabled to the onboard display adapter. The issue is that when using the AMD card a 3rd "ghost" monitor appears in display settings (which the user has no access to). Disabling the Intel adapter fixes the issue and I can easily do this with powershell, however I need to know which machines have monitors connected to the Intel and which to the AMD. Looking in Windows Advanced display settings it says "Display 3: " (with no model) and shows it is connected to the intel 605. whereas Display 1 & 2 show the monitor model and that they are connected to the AMD card. I need a way to programmatically get this info. I have hunted through wmi and registry without success. Any ideas please???

:)

PRF96, May 24, 2021
  2. Erika Aro Win User

Windows 10 can't detect my second monitor

Thank you for confirming. We can do the following:

When the second monitor is not detected, we need to isolate if it's the monitor, the cable connecting them, or the port. We suggest that you remove your 1st monitor, then use the 2nd monitor as your 1st monitor. After that, connect the 1st monitor as the
    2nd monitor.

Usually, this it's driver-related. Windows 10 won't be able to detect the 2nd monitor if the monitor driver is out of date or faulty. We recommend, rolling back to the previous installed graphics driver and monitor driver if it updated. Otherwise, update your
    graphics and monitor drivers on the Device Manager. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Type Device Manager in the Cortana search bar and press Enter.
    • When the Device Manager window appears, click the Display adapters and right-click the item below.
    • Select Properties, then Driver tab, and click Roll Back Driver and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • Expand the Monitors, then right-click the second monitor and select Properties.
    • Click the Driver tab, and click Roll Back Driver and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists, update the drivers. You can manually update the driver by visiting the websites of your graphics card and monitor manufacturers to get the fully compatible drivers for Windows 10. You can run the Find
    and fix problems with devices and hardware
    to automatically check for driver updates. Additionally, we'd like to know the make and model of your graphics cards and monitor?

Post back anytime at your convenience.

Erika Aro, May 24, 2021
  3. using a monitor to extend my screen

Hi Lou,

There are several possible reasons why your LCD monitor suddenly stopped working. It could be that the graphic driver is outdated or could be the cable used is already damaged.

For us to isolate this problem, we would like to ask the following information:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you installed any updates?

In the meantime, please try the following suggestions and see if your laptop will detect the LCD monitor:

• Update the graphic card driver. Check out Update drivers in Windows 10 for the steps.
    • Use another cable. Try using another VGA cable to connect the LCD monitor to the laptop.
    • Connect the LCD monitor to another computer. To help us isolate the issue, try connecting the LCD monitor to a different computer.

Please let us know how it goes. We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 24, 2021
  4. How to detect which graphics adapter has monitors connected

Windows 10 can't detect my second monitor

Thank you, Kind Sir, whoever you are. I have a technician coming in on Thursday morning, so I will leave all that to him, and report back to you thereafter, hopefully with his help.

Ian ( - Ivan is the Russian for John/Ian and the other is Dad's patronymic)

Ivan Stuartovich, May 24, 2021
Thema:

How to detect which graphics adapter has monitors connected

1. How to detect which graphics adapter has monitors connected - Similar Threads - detect graphics adapter

2. Graphics adapter is AMD 7750 with 6 ports. Windows detects all 6 monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics adapter is AMD 7750 with 6 ports. Windows detects all 6 monitors: Graphics adapter is AMD 7750 with 6 ports. Windows detects all 6 monitors but i can extend the desktop to only 4. Monitors 5 and 6 remain black but show they are detected. When trying to extend an error occurs.I have tried extending and duplicating monitors to no avail. I...
  3. Graphics adapter is AMD 7750 with 6 ports. Windows detects all 6 monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics adapter is AMD 7750 with 6 ports. Windows detects all 6 monitors: Graphics adapter is AMD 7750 with 6 ports. Windows detects all 6 monitors but i can extend the desktop to only 4. Monitors 5 and 6 remain black but show they are detected. When trying to extend an error occurs.I have tried extending and duplicating monitors to no avail. I...
  4. Graphics adapter is AMD 7750 with 6 ports. Windows detects all 6 monitors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. 3rd Monitor detect but not connecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3rd Monitor detect but not connecting: Hi, I use windows 11 & trying to get my 4th monitor following to last 2 monitors, however the problem is, It shows as 4th monitor 2 monitors + 1 laptop but I get the only choice to use it as duplicate monitor. I check with my Dell laptop which confirms that this is not...
  6. 3rd Monitor detect but not connecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3rd Monitor detect but not connecting: Hi, I use windows 11 & trying to get my 4th monitor following to last 2 monitors, however the problem is, It shows as 4th monitor 2 monitors + 1 laptop but I get the only choice to use it as duplicate monitor. I check with my Dell laptop which confirms that this is not...
  7. Setting up multiple monitors on different graphics adapters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting up multiple monitors on different graphics adapters: My Windows 10 PC has an Intel HD 4600 graphics co-processor with dual DisplayPort outputs, but DisplayPort #2 is not working. I believe it is a hardware problem. So I have added a NVIDIA GeForce 210 graphics card for the second display.Display Manager / Display Adapters shows...
  8. Graphics adapter not detected in windows but can be detected if a different hard drive is...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Graphics adapter not detected in windows but can be detected if a different hard drive is...: So I recently formatted and installed a new hard drive and installed windows into it. After I finished setting up windows I tried to install a GPU update for my NVIDIA 1060 but instead, it gave me an error stating that my pc isn't compatible. So I checked to see if my GPU was...
  9. How to tell which graphics adapter is active

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to tell which graphics adapter is active: I am working on a laptop with 2 graphics adapters, the on processor Intel 3000, and an Nvidia 610M. Is there a quick and easy way to see which adapter is actually being used in windows? 170761
  10. Which adapter?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Which adapter?: I recently installed a video card in my pc and need advice on where to find an adapter to connect mu VGA cable to the sound card. photo attached.