Windows 10: How to determine DHCP range?

Discus and support How to determine DHCP range? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows Version: 20H2 I try to keep my PC and my laptop connected on a Windows 10 wired home network, via an ARRIS TG862G Router supplied by my ISP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CluelessInSeatl, Jul 20, 2021.

1. How to determine DHCP range?

Windows Version: 20H2 I try to keep my PC and my laptop connected on a Windows 10 wired home network, via an ARRIS TG862G Router supplied by my ISP (Comcast/Xfinity). I say "I try," because the performance of my home network is spotty at best. Sometimes the laptop can see the PC, but not vice versa. Sometimes the PC can see the laptop but not vice versa. Sometimes the PC and laptop can't even see themselves on the network. An acquaintance on a local BBS has suggested that I try assigning fixed IPs to the devices on my network, and specified that I "fix the addresses to a value which isn't in the DHCP range." I've taken a look at the router settings, and can't find where it shows the DHCP range. I'd be grateful if someone here could help me figure this out. Will in Seattle a.k.a. "Clueless" P.S. I just found this on the Xfinity User Forum : "I understand we cannot have static IP addresses with xfinity residential accounts. Is this correct? If we can't do this can we at least specify a range of IPs to exclude from the DHCP pool? How would I go about doing this?" "Correct. Only Business Class subscribers can get a statically assigned WAN / public IP addy. " Does that mean that I won't be able to assign fixed IP addresses to the devices on my home network?

:)

CluelessInSeatl, Jul 20, 2021
  2. Kanata Win User

DHCP question

You would need to access your router's DHCP configuration to see what range of addresses it uses for distribution.
    If you set static addresses within the DHCP range then DHCP issues an identical address, you get duplicate address errors and associated problems from that.

Kanata, Jul 20, 2021
  3. Barman58 Win User
    How to detect LAN item; not recognised by DHCP

Alan, that should work without any issues,
    I suggested that you reduce the DHCP range as I was not certain of the way that the Apple devices were set up, if they are currently set manually you should use addresses outside the DHCP range if not then leave them as is - it's actually quite normal to manually assign IP addresses for "Network Infrastructure devices" such as extenders and sub routers as these are better found if the IP is fixed.

If the extenders are manually set for IP, (back to the Airport Router), then you need to bear this in mind and allocate IPs from the non DHCP range

I personally tend to use pre allocated DHCP IP addressing, which forces the IP through DHCP, rather that manual method, as this gives me better centralised control, (single change of the router settings changes everything without having to change individual items) - but I digress manual allocation is simple enough to do in a home network rather than the systems I have worked with where you can have hundreds or thousands of devices

Barman58, Jul 20, 2021
  4. Roohi_Taj Win User

How to determine DHCP range?

The DHCP Server service terminated without a valid clue

Hi Chhetri Suman,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol): Every device on TCP/IP needs unique IP address to access the network. DHCP controls the allotment of IP addresses. However, if
    you can access internet, DHCP should work fine. But if there is some issue with the internet, you can follow these steps and resolve the DHCP error.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows and
      R key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Control and hit enter.
    3. Click on Network and internet > click on Change adapter settings
      on the left pane.

How to determine DHCP range? 09619031-1f13-4ca0-a6dd-259b95a37c89?upload=true.png

4. Right click on the Ethernet connection you are using and select properties.

5. Select Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPV4) and click on properties.

6. Check the following radio boxes:

• Obtain an IP address automatically
    • Obtain DNS server address automatically

How to determine DHCP range? 234a8777-d812-4c80-9703-8d6b427e49d2?upload=true.jpg

7. Now windows 10 will retrieve the IP address automatically.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Jul 20, 2021
Thema:

How to determine DHCP range?

1. How to determine DHCP range? - Similar Threads - determine DHCP range

2. DHCP Filter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DHCP Filter: Hello everyone, i need to block unknown MAC addresses from using my network, i can sofar only block known MACs from getting to my network but i dont know if there is a possibility that i can block any unknown MAC if the person puts the right IP configuration when the MAC...
  3. DHCP Filter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DHCP Filter: Hello everyone, i need to block unknown MAC addresses from using my network, i can sofar only block known MACs from getting to my network but i dont know if there is a possibility that i can block any unknown MAC if the person puts the right IP configuration when the MAC...
  4. DHCP server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DHCP server: Ik ben al een poosje op zoek naar een DHCP server, hoe kom ik daaraan? En welke kan ik veilig downloaden of staat hij al op Windows10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dhcp-server/7a23e6b2-1268-43bd-a917-9c41ece58bb2
  5. How to determine if a VPN is working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to determine if a VPN is working: Or how good it is at doing what it claims it does. Supposedly it keeps my internet activity private. But how is this measured? 163057
  6. dhcp

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dhcp: what am i supposed to do? "dhcp lease expires july 5, 2019" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dhcp/a345fed5-e602-4535-9e73-4eea0c79fb91
  7. DHCP

DHCP: The IP address lease 192.168.1.3 for the Network Card with network address 0xD89EF326F842 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message). Need an explanation on this error...
  8. Miracast and dhcp

Miracast and dhcp: using Miracast to project from a laptop to a projector and it does work but there are problems - originally the laptop used dhcp (ip v4) on the network, and whilst mirror screens was on it could browse the internet. However once you stop mirroring the desktop and...
  9. How extend range of wi-fi

How extend range of wi-fi: I'd like to know what the options are to extend my wi-fi signal range. I have extra routers if that help and I'm hoping to not spend a lot of money. Thank you. 98411
  10. DHCP question

DHCP question: What does it mean when it's said, "set your IP addresses as reserved (fixed) IP addresses outside of the routers DHCP address pool?" I have an Asus RT-AC87U and have set up a few devices for static IP's but I'm not sure which addresses would be considered outside of the DHCP...