Windows 10: How to determine offset for creating new EFI partition?

Discus and support How to determine offset for creating new EFI partition? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ok, so, here's the whole story. I did a new clean install of windows 10 pro a few weeks ago, and I installed the newest version at the time, 1809 build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joe123456, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Joe123456 Win User

How to determine offset for creating new EFI partition?

Ok, so, here's the whole story. I did a new clean install of windows 10 pro a few weeks ago, and I installed the newest version at the time, 1809 build 17763.316. However, now there is a newer version, 17763.348. And I've been getting the update KB4482887 from windows update, but every time it fails with error 0x800F0922. I've tried many different things - sfc /scannow, dism restore health, disabling secure boot, disabling all security software including my firewall, making sure my efi system partition has enough space (currently 83 mb free out of 96 shown in explorer), downloading the kb installation file from microsoft's catalog directly, making sure I have .net framework activated from optional features, I tried .net framework repair tool, cleaning the software distribution and catroot2 folders (even tho I don't think this should matter when using the catalog installation file), deleting registry keys as shown here Full Fix: Update error 0x800f0922 on Windows 10, 8.1, 7 and restoring them after it failed, cleaning my temp folder. I have the latest servicing update KB44704788 installed as well, so Idk what to do anymore... I read that extending the system partition might solve it, mine is only 100 mb, shows as 96 mb in explorer. Then I searched how to do that, and since I use GPT and UEFI, turns out it's a bit harder, I found this How do I restore w10 bootloader? dual boot with ubuntu on separate hdd Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums and there it says that if I have unallocated space, which I must have if I want to make a bigger efi partition right? then I need to set an offset for the new efi partition, but it doesn't say how big that offset must be and how to determine it, my current offsets are like this:

How to determine offset for creating new EFI partition? [​IMG]

And this is my unallocated space:

How to determine offset for creating new EFI partition? [​IMG]

Anyone can help me with what to do, other that clean install again?

:)

Joe123456, Mar 4, 2019
  2. Saltgrass Win User

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME after creating new EFI System Partition

I would probably have booted to a Windows install or recovery media to create the

EFI system partition by using Diskpart and the create par efi command with any modifiers necessary to make it fit in the correct location.

I know Linux can use a Microsoft EFI partition but I do know if Windows can use a Linux version.

Yes, the bcd listing which shows the boot manager and OS loader.

It may have been easier to use a third party partition manager to change the size of the EFI partition.

If you might need it, here are the details of an EFI partition from Diskpart.

Partition 2

Type : c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b

Hidden : Yes

Required: No

Attrib : 0X8000000000000000

Offset in Bytes: 524288000

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

* Volume 3 FAT32 Partition 99 MB Healthy System

Saltgrass, Mar 4, 2019
  3. Saltgrass Win User
    UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME after creating new EFI System Partition

My question would be, how are you booting the two OSes? When I was doing that I had both installed as UEFI and used the boot device menu to switch between the bootable OS. Of course, I had mine on separate drives but it should work with both on one drive.

I don't see how you filled up your UEFI partition since it only adds a small amount of data to the partition.

How did you create the new EFI System partition?

Are you able to get a Bcdedit listing?

Saltgrass, Mar 4, 2019
  4. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile How to determine offset for creating new EFI partition? :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Mar 4, 2019
Thema:

1. How to determine offset for creating new EFI partition? - Similar Threads - determine offset creating

2. How can the EFI System Partition and the Recovery Partition be mirrored or created?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can the EFI System Partition and the Recovery Partition be mirrored or created?: I have a desktop computer running windows 10 Pro. The partition containing C can be mirrored, but the EFI System Partition and the Recovery Partition cannot be mirrored. I want to make the disk created by mirroring bootable.Another computer is also running Windows 10 Pro, and...
  3. How can the EFI System Partition and the Recovery Partition be mirrored or created?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can the EFI System Partition and the Recovery Partition be mirrored or created?: I have a desktop computer running windows 10 Pro. The partition containing C can be mirrored, but the EFI System Partition and the Recovery Partition cannot be mirrored. I want to make the disk created by mirroring bootable.Another computer is also running Windows 10 Pro, and...
  4. How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?: Hi i'm limon i need help, how to create recovery disk with efi partition?the reason i want this bc my computer is installed with non factory OS...
  5. How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?: Hi i'm limon i need help, how to create recovery disk with efi partition?the reason i want this bc my computer is installed with non factory OS...
  6. How to create Recovery disk with efi partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. MBR2GPT Failing To Create EFI Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MBR2GPT Failing To Create EFI Partition: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB with 173 GB free space perfectly healthy according to Samsung MagicianI've been battling away with this for days now and it's driving me crazy- trying to convert an MBR system drive to GPT. In the end I performed a repair...
  8. Creating Recovery and EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Creating Recovery and EFI System Partition: Hello,I've just installed Windows 10 on my new SSD and formatted the HDD that had Windows 10 on it before. I just realized in Disk Management that the old HDD has the Recovery and EFI System Partitions. How would I go about adding those to the SSD instead?Thanks....
  9. Creating an EFI partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating an EFI partition: Hi, On Win 10 machine I have a 1TB SSD which I used to boot Windows and it has an EFI partition. I purchased a 2TB installed Windows on it and migrated data as a primary drive. I realised that it does not have an EFI partition (but has Boot, Page, File, Crash Dump on it)....
  10. Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?: I have a few different drives in my computer, and recently installed Linux Mint (an OS I have used quite a bit) onto an nVme drive I salved from my Surface Pro 4 (dog ate it...). Anyway, for a while I've had a weird issue when starting Windows, where it would give me two...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. proplem with efi partition offset