Windows 10: How to determine what network activity is preventing sleep?

Discus and support How to determine what network activity is preventing sleep? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So after DAAAYS of troubleshooting, i did what i should have done first. Disabled my ethernet adapter. PC will now sleep. (it would sleep fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Apr 19, 2019.

1. klepp0906 Win User

How to determine what network activity is preventing sleep?

So after DAAAYS of troubleshooting, i did what i should have done first.

Disabled my ethernet adapter. PC will now sleep. (it would sleep fine manually, but wouldnt go to sleep on its own).

I thought it was my nvidia shieldtv's doing something over the network that kept it awake, but i turned those both off and the pc still will only sleep when i disable the network adapter.

Turning off "allow this device to wake the computer" would be a workaround, except I need Wake on Lan to function so thats no bueno.

Plus this was never an issue until the last month or so. Something has changed.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction?

:)

klepp0906, Apr 19, 2019

2. Preventing sleep on laptop/monitor

Hi Tricia,

In order to help you with your concern about preventing your Windows 10 not to go to sleep mode, may we request you to answer the following questions first:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer system prior to getting this issue?
    • What is the current Build and Version of your Windows 10 PC? To know these information follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R.
    • Type Winver.
    • Press Enter.
    • A small box will appear showing the current Build and
      Version
      of your PC.

(Should you need to update your PC, you may click on this
    link
    . This will also show you the update history for Windows 10.)

• Are you getting any error messages? If yes, kindly post it here.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

You may utilize the troubleshooting suggestions from the post of
    Aleksandr 10 in this thread, to remedy the
    automatic sleep that your device is displaying. This link has been helpful to a lot of Community members who had the same concern and may also be helpful in the issue at hand.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Apr 19, 2019
  3. philc43 Win User
    which processes prevent sleep?

Well there are no obvious processes listed as preventing your system from sleeping. Have you tried leaving your PC on overnight or for several hours to see if it eventually completes any running tasks and finally goes to sleep?

philc43, Apr 19, 2019
  4. How to determine what network activity is preventing sleep?

I need to monitor network activity

I've raped Google on how to's for monitoring network activity and can't find anything that suits my needs. I simply want to do one thing. I want to see the URLs of sites that people on my network are going to. I've tried wireshark but all it shows is a bunch of code and jibberish, makes you work really hard and dig too much to find an actual URL. I just want a program to actively list URLs that are being visited on my network. Can someone help?

stayplation3, Apr 19, 2019
Thema:

How to determine what network activity is preventing sleep?

1. How to determine what network activity is preventing sleep? - Similar Threads - determine network activity

2. What determines the display number.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What determines the display number.: Does windows determine the display number based on on which port the various monitors are connected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-determines-the-display-number/f17cb8ff-7bd4-4e7d-8d16-6f1d5a45843a
  3. What determines the display number.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What determines the display number.: Does windows determine the display number based on on which port the various monitors are connected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-determines-the-display-number/f17cb8ff-7bd4-4e7d-8d16-6f1d5a45843a
  4. Determining what PUA's are

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Determining what PUA's are: I got gifted the game Disgaea for my birthday a while ago, but the game needs a LOT of grinding. I am not a kid with a summer vacation to blow on this anymore, so I wanted to cheat some XP to eliminate the boring grinding. However the save files are encrypted, so I'm looking...
  5. How to prevent active VPN network on ONE of the windows 10 accounts?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to prevent active VPN network on ONE of the windows 10 accounts?: Hi, Issue is that I have 2 Windows 10 usersuser1 and user2. I am using Nord VPN. I need user1 to have VPN service as soon as it connects to the network, but user2 do not have access to VPN network. At the moment as long as I set VPN in one of the accounts other account has...
  6. Determining what monitor to get

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Determining what monitor to get: Hey everyone, I have a MSI bravo 15 laptop and I was wanting to get a nice monitor to game on. I have done a bit of research and found I need to size the monitor with my GPU and operating system. So I was wanting to know if there were any suggestions on what I should look...
  7. how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage: hi, I'm temporarily without my fairly high spec laptop and using a lower spec laptop which is really struggling. I tend to have around 8 apps open and task manager shows disk activity at 100% I don't want to close any more than I have to, but how can I determine which app is...
  8. how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Support
    how to determine what's causing 100% disk usage: hi, I'm temporarily without my fairly high spec laptop and using a lower spec laptop which is really struggling. I tend to have around 8 apps open and task manager shows disk activity at 100% I don't want to close any more than I have to, but how can I determine which app is...
  9. How to determine what is stopping an software from launching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to determine what is stopping an software from launching: Hi guys! I hope this is the right thread. I recently had a problem with my CS:GO not launching from Steam. I tried uninstalling the game and restoring a backup copy from my laptop (which runs it) to still no avail. I tried reinstalling Steam downloading CS:GO again but it...
  10. How do I prevent going to sleep with certain program active?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I prevent going to sleep with certain program active?: Hello -- I am new to this forum, but I would like to ask for help. I have been with you all since Seven Forums. I am using a program that is no longer being further developed or supported by the developer. It is called PS3 Media Server and is basically the best program...