Windows 10: How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to.

Discus and support How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've tried Sysinfo32, CPU-Z, HwMonitor and Diskpart. I have 3xM.2's in a PC. They are all 970 Pro 1TB. I am continuously having to remove drives and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wobitancrawfodi, Nov 25, 2020.

1. How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to.

I've tried Sysinfo32, CPU-Z, HwMonitor and Diskpart.
    I have 3xM.2's in a PC. They are all 970 Pro 1TB.
    I am continuously having to remove drives and power up the PC to see which drive I just removed. Bit of a pain when one is under the GPU.

I'm upgrading one of the 1TB drives to a 2TB. I will use the MSI M.2 Expander on my Creator X299 motherboard to install the new drive so I can copy over the contents of the oldest drive I am removing. I just don't know which one it is.

Diskpart gives me this for the four drives (3xSSD, 1xHDD)

Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1700)#ATA(C02T00L00)
    Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1D00)#PCI(0000)#NVME(P00T00L00)
    Location Path : PCIROOT(B2)#PCI(0200)#PCI(0000)#NVME(P00T00L00)
    Location Path : PCIROOT(B2)#PCI(0300)#PCI(0000)#NVME(P00T00L00)

This first is the HDD
    Looking at the manual, it seems the second is from the chipset and the other two are from the CPU

Can I tell from that which M.2 port a drive is connected to?

Is there some other way without having to remove the heat sink, then each drive in turn until I happen upon the correct one?

:)

Wobitancrawfodi, Nov 25, 2020

2. M.2 slot .

1-Is there any m.2 sata or nvme slot available in HP Pavilion AU620tx laptop?

2-Is the DVD slot is slower than the HDD slot ? I want to add an HDD there so I don't know

about is there any speed difference between HDD slot and DVD slot.

MD Danish Khan, Nov 25, 2020
  3. RainbowPride, Nov 25, 2020
  4. Raniel V. Win User

How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to.

M.2 slot .

Good day! I'm Raniel, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

Upon checking some forums, it appears that HP Pavilion AU620tx doesn't have an m.2 SATA slot:

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/upgrade-hp...

I suggest coordinating this with HP since it is more related to a hardware concern.

Regarding your other concern, the DVD drive slot would give the same speed as a normal HDD slot would, and will be dependent on your HDD's rpm.

I hope this helps.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly
    research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Raniel V., Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to.

1. How to determine which M.2 slot a SSD is connected to. - Similar Threads - determine slot SSD

2. How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?: Ive got a problem. Ive currently got 1 SSD operational with around 450 GB. However, i've got 1 other SSD Which is unallocated and I dont know how to activate it and an M.2 which isnt even showing up. Not only that but I can now figure out the Disk Manager....
  3. How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install SSD / M.2 SSD?: Ive got a problem. Ive currently got 1 SSD operational with around 450 GB. However, i've got 1 other SSD Which is unallocated and I dont know how to activate it and an M.2 which isnt even showing up. Not only that but I can now figure out the Disk Manager....
  4. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  5. How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to migrate OS from M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD - but only have one M.2 SSD slot.: Hi community,I currently have my Windows 11 Home OS Dell digital license installed on my single M.2 NVMe SSD slot 256GB 2242 BC711_NVMe_SK_hynix.I am now running out of room to install other applications and so I purchased a new Crucial 2TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD fully compatible...
  6. regarding m.2 slot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    regarding m.2 slot: i have dell vastro 3568 i3 laptop. Now i want to upgrade it and install a ssd. i would like to know that is there m.2 nvme support in it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/regarding-m2-slot/ff39fa00-188a-4c59-aa25-05785d6bb97e
  7. Which M.2 SSD Fits My Motherboard?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Which M.2 SSD Fits My Motherboard?: I have the ASUS Z97-A MB and honestly I was in such a hurry when I built this PC about 5 years ago I didn't notice it had M.2 SSD support but then again people weren't really talking about M.2 drives 5 years ago, not that I remember. I want to make use of it now and after...
  8. M.2 slot .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    M.2 slot .: 1-Is there any m.2 sata or nvme slot available in HP Pavilion AU620tx laptop? 2-Is the DVD slot is slower than the HDD slot ? I want to add an HDD there so I don't know about is there any speed difference between HDD slot and DVD slot....
  9. ?M.2 or ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  10. M.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...