Windows 10: How to diagnose a hangproblem

Discus and support How to diagnose a hangproblem in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this. I have a... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 8, 2018.

1. How to diagnose a hangproblem

I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this.

I have a .bat file containing a VeraCrypt Mount command. The command prompts for a password, then displays a "This may take a while" type message and runs for about 10 seconds. Several times- 3 or 4 - in the past week the command window has stayed open after the mount has completed. I have had FireFox running each time this has happened, and each time FireFox has hung; it loses focus and cannot be brought to the foreground. Process Explorer shows 4 or 5 Firefox processes. After killing them and restarting Firefox it works as though there had been no problem.

Two basic things I failed to check:
    • I did not check to see if any FireFox processes were using cycles (but I think I would have noticed if one seemed busy).
    • I did not check for any events.

This may be happening on two PCs but I can remember only one for sure. Both PCs are running Win10 1803.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 8, 2018

2. strange mouse cursor pause

Hi Joleen,

In order to further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Strange icon in windows action center!

Hi Desmond,

In order to further diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

How to diagnose a hangproblem

1. How to diagnose a hangproblem - Similar Threads - diagnose hangproblem

2. Need Help Diagnosing Instabilities

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need Help Diagnosing Instabilities: Hello, I have recently been experiencing system instabilies ranging from application crashes to various forms of BSOD. I have done what I know how to in addressing the issues, and have lessened them greatly, but have yet to completely correct the issues. Recently it seems...
  3. Need Help Diagnosing Instabilities

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Help Diagnosing Instabilities: Hello, I have recently been experiencing system instabilies ranging from application crashes to various forms of BSOD. I have done what I know how to in addressing the issues, and have lessened them greatly, but have yet to completely correct the issues. Recently it seems...
  4. Need Help Diagnosing Instabilities

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Help diagnosing potential HW related BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT 101"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Help diagnosing potential HW related BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT 101": Hi,I last couple of weeks, we are seeing BSODs on couple of our systems with our custom SW.We've seen this on both Win10 and Win11. With latest generations of intel processors e.g. Intel Core i7 1265U, Intel Core 13700K.It runs for 3-4 days, then it ends up with something...
  6. Help diagnosing potential HW related BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT 101"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help diagnosing potential HW related BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT 101": Hi,I last couple of weeks, we are seeing BSODs on couple of our systems with our custom SW.We've seen this on both Win10 and Win11. With latest generations of intel processors e.g. Intel Core i7 1265U, Intel Core 13700K.It runs for 3-4 days, then it ends up with something...
  7. Help diagnosing potential HW related BSOD "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT 101"

8. How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep: Hi all,When I click on sleep from the start menu, sometimes my desktop will enter "away mode" according to even viewer instead of going to sleep. This is very annoying as I have to use hibernate instead of sleep which takes a while to wake up from.Once my desktop has been on...
  9. How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep

How to diagnose why desktop is entering "away mode" instead of entering sleep: Hi all,When I click on sleep from the start menu, sometimes my desktop will enter "away mode" according to even viewer instead of going to sleep. This is very annoying as I have to use hibernate instead of sleep which takes a while to wake up from.Once my desktop has been on...
  10. How to diagnose a strange hangproblem

in Windows 10 Support
    How to diagnose a strange hangproblem: I have an occasional wacko problem involving FireFox and VeraCrypt (or maybe any long running command). I have no idea how to debug this. I have a .bat file containing a VeraCrypt Mount command. The command prompts for a password, then displays a "This may take a while" type...