Windows 10: How to disable a keyboard shortcut which is restarting my PC?

Discus and support How to disable a keyboard shortcut which is restarting my PC? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! Here's what's happening. I'm using Classic Shell for the classic look of my Start button. When I want to open Paintbrush I press on the Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bellzemos, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Bellzemos Win User

How to disable a keyboard shortcut which is restarting my PC?

Hello!

Here's what's happening. I'm using Classic Shell for the classic look of my Start button. When I want to open Paintbrush I press on the Start button, then enter pbrush (very quickly) in the Search field and press Enter. Quite often this results in restarting my PC instead of opening up Paintbrush.
    I suspect I do it too fast and instead trigger a keyboard shortcut for rebooting the PC. How could I disable that shortcut? It's very distracting when PC reboots like that and closes all the programs I have opened and whatnot.
    Thanks in advance!

:)

Bellzemos, Jan 27, 2021

2. Disabling laptop keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you follow the steps below and check if that helps:

• Press Windows + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.
    • Find Keyboards in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand it.
    • Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable. If there is no Disable option listed, click
      Uninstall.
    • Click File>Exit. Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.
    Note: If you had to choose Uninstall instead of Disable in step 4, the keyboard will be automatically detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new hardware for some reason. If that happens you’ll need to repeat this procedure
    in order to uninstall it again.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jan 27, 2021
  3. coffent1 Win User
    Disable Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts

I want to turn off all Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts. Following others' suggestions, I right-clicked on the Desktop and followed the menu through graphics options to hotkeys and chose "Disable". However this hasn't helped. At least some remain. One
    example among many: {WindowsKey + I} still opens Settings. How can I disable this and all other Windows shortcut keys?

coffent1, Jan 27, 2021
  4. How to disable a keyboard shortcut which is restarting my PC?

How to create a shortcut for a keyboard shortcut.

Hi Marcos,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are willing to create Keyboard shortcut on Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

I suggest you to follow the steps in the below Microsoft article to create
    a keyboard shortcut for an app.

Create keyboard shortcuts to open desktop apps

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above link are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 as well.

Refer below article for more information on Keyboard shortcuts.

Keyboard shortcuts

Please post back with above information and we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Vinodh_Kumar V, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

How to disable a keyboard shortcut which is restarting my PC?

1. How to disable a keyboard shortcut which is restarting my PC? - Similar Threads - disable keyboard shortcut

2. Accidental keyboard shortcuts - how to disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidental keyboard shortcuts - how to disable: I have a Windows 11. I accidentally brushed over the keyboard with my arm and pushed a lot of buttons at once - not hard and none are stuck. However, noe everytime I press either . or , the simple buttons alone without ctrl or windows logo key, it activates the search...
  3. Accidental keyboard shortcuts - how to disable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidental keyboard shortcuts - how to disable: I have a Windows 11. I accidentally brushed over the keyboard with my arm and pushed a lot of buttons at once - not hard and none are stuck. However, noe everytime I press either . or , the simple buttons alone without ctrl or windows logo key, it activates the search...
  4. Which option disabled the keyboard shortcut for File Explorer -> View ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which option disabled the keyboard shortcut for File Explorer -> View ?: Hello.I consider myself a power user and therefore I changed quite a few options to adjust my Windows 11 to my liking. As a result, it seems that some features tend to break unintendedly. E.g., I disabled the shortcut to move the current window to another screen Win key +...
  5. Which option disabled the keyboard shortcut for File Explorer -> View ?

Which option disabled the keyboard shortcut for File Explorer -> View ?: Hello.I consider myself a power user and therefore I changed quite a few options to adjust my Windows 11 to my liking. As a result, it seems that some features tend to break unintendedly. E.g., I disabled the shortcut to move the current window to another screen Win key +...
  6. Disable keyboard shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable keyboard shortcut: Hi, I rely on the Accessibility / Ease of Access functions, one of which is the mouse pointer location using the expanding concentric circles. In Windows 8.1 this was operated with the Ctrl key. However, under Windows 11 the Ctrl keyboard shortcut also brings up the Start...
  7. Disable keyboard shortcut

Disable keyboard shortcut: Hi, I rely on the Accessibility / Ease of Access functions, one of which is the mouse pointer location using the expanding concentric circles. In Windows 8.1 this was operated with the Ctrl key. However, under Windows 11 the Ctrl keyboard shortcut also brings up the Start...
  8. How to disable certain Windows keyboard shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable certain Windows keyboard shortcuts.: Hi all. My Windows 10 version has keyboard shortcuts enabled which change the orientation (see here). Does anyone know how to disable these? Is updating my Windows to a new version the only way? Or can I perhaps edit the registry or something to do this? The reason I ask is...
  9. How to disable windows keyboard shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable windows keyboard shortcuts.: Hi i had an issue with my color but it was from pressing a keyboard shortcut and its now fixed. But i was wanting to know if there was any way to disable the keyboard shortcuts so i didnt run into this problem again. Any help is greatly appreciated!...
  10. How to disable Windows+P keyboard shortcut?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable Windows+P keyboard shortcut?: I need to disable Windows+P keyboard shortcut because it provides with project options but this PC is in the classroom setting. Any help? I run Windows 10, 1803....