Windows 10: How to disable apps and files from automatically opening in full screen mode?

Discus and support How to disable apps and files from automatically opening in full screen mode? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Getting so tired of this, who wants this feature? Hard to understand why when you open and app or even a file, it automatically opens in fullscreen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by WinonaAzure, Aug 1, 2020.

1. How to disable apps and files from automatically opening in full screen mode?

Getting so tired of this, who wants this feature? Hard to understand why when you open and app or even a file, it automatically opens in fullscreen mode. If you are multitasking, which I imagine every single computer user alive is doing, having everything open in fullscreen mode is very annoying. It covers all of your other work and focus. For example, I have an extra wide monitor and when I simply open a photo in Photos app, it opens fullscreen. So the tiny 300x200 px image is in the center, and the entire rest of the screen is covered with gray. I mean really, who would ever want this?

Here are the things I've tried:

1. Disable the arranging of windows when you drag a window to the edge. Yep, tried it. I'm asking about when you open though, so there is no dragging being done. This works great if I do want to drag windows though.

2. Right-click on app icon, go to properties, go to the compatibility tab, check the box "Disable fullscreen optimizations". Yep did it, does not solve my problem. I don't think it has anything to do with opening an app or file, just has to do with images perhaps? Anyway, it did not work.

Anyone know a fix? Since all apps and most all files open like this, I'm guessing it's a system setting, but no idea which one. Thank you for your help.

:)

WinonaAzure, Aug 1, 2020

2. How to disable the "Soap Opera Effect" when playing full screen videos in Edge and other Windows 10 apps?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

For the ‘Films and TV’ app, follow these steps:

• Open the app.
    • Click/tap on the ‘More options’ (3 dots) button at the top right corner, and click/tap on Settings.
    • Under Playback, toggle the slider to off for Always start videos in full screen
    For the Edge browser, follow these steps:

1. Press ‘Win+Shift+Enter’ to enable full screen mode: use F11 to exit.
    2. Click the ‘Settings and More menu’ and click the ‘full screen mode icon’ to enter full screen; press ‘Win+Shift+Enter’ to exit.
    3. Press F11 to enter full screen; press ‘Win+Shift+Enter’ to exit.
    4. Click Settings and More to enter full screen; press F11 to exit.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking 'Yes' or 'No'.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Notepad automatically opening when ABA file downloaded

Hi Fiona,

We suggest that you follow these steps to uncheck the Always open this type of file:

• Right click on an ABA file.
    • Hover your mouse cursor on Open with and select Choose another app.
    • Uncheck the Always open this type of file and click on
      OK
    Let us know how it goes.

Nathaniel Mon, Aug 1, 2020
  4. Jetster Win User

How to disable apps and files from automatically opening in full screen mode?

Jetster, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

How to disable apps and files from automatically opening in full screen mode?

1. How to disable apps and files from automatically opening in full screen mode? - Similar Threads - disable apps files

2. How to disable automatic full screen of windows that touch the screen border in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable automatic full screen of windows that touch the screen border in Windows 10?: Hi,Please indicate how to permanently disactivate automatic full screen whenever we slide a window to the border of our screen. This option is no longer available in Properties > Mouse.Please provide an easy means for doing so without using Regedit.Thanks....
  3. How to disable automatic full screen of windows that touch the screen border in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable automatic full screen of windows that touch the screen border in Windows 10?: Hi,Please indicate how to permanently disactivate automatic full screen whenever we slide a window to the border of our screen. This option is no longer available in Properties > Mouse.Please provide an easy means for doing so without using Regedit.Thanks....
  4. How to disable automatic full screen of windows that touch the screen border in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. disable full screen mode for nook app

disable full screen mode for nook app: disable full screen mode for nook app https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-full-screen-mode-for-nook-app/9f4d37f6-d3b0-48fd-b7ef-cc032dc51cef
  6. Apps opening File Explorer full screen

Apps opening File Explorer full screen: Win 10 1909 18363.836 Recently two apps that I use frequently, WhatsApp for PC and Thunderbird, have started opening File Explorer full screen, with no Minimise or Resize options visible. I believe this problem occurred following a recent Win update. I have made sure that I...
  7. Disable Windows full screen mode

Disable Windows full screen mode: How can I get an app out of full screen mode, and prevent it from entering full screen mode in the future. I do not want any software on the PC to be able to enter full screen mode...
  8. How to disable Photos from automatically opening pictures?

How to disable Photos from automatically opening pictures?: Every time I download a picture from the internet, the Photos app insists on automatically opening it and displaying it to me. If I download many photos, it opens many times. How do I disable photos from automatically opening pictures that I download? If I want them opened,...
  9. How do I DISABLE Ctrl-F11 full screen mode in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I DISABLE Ctrl-F11 full screen mode in File Explorer?: I have another app I often press Ctrl-F11 for, and I do this almost instinctively. I end up maximizing File Explorer when I don't want to because I hit Ctrl-F11 and it maximizes by File Explorer. How do I disable FULL SCREEN MODE in File Explorer, or just disable Ctrl-F11,...
  10. How to Open Fresh Paint in Full Screen Mode

How to Open Fresh Paint in Full Screen Mode: Hello, I tried searching all the forums and from google but can't find how to view Fresh Paint in full screen. I'm using Surface Pro 3. Is there a way i'm missing to do this ?...