Windows 10: How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely?

Discus and support How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; First of all: Sorry to bring this up again, I'm sure this question probably gets asked a lot. But somehow I haven't found a working solution (or done... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Gexxys, Nov 23, 2020.

1. /u/Gexxys Win User

How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely?

First of all: Sorry to bring this up again, I'm sure this question probably gets asked a lot. But somehow I haven't found a working solution (or done something wrong). What I want is to completely prevent my PC from automatically restarting, only restart when I explicitly say so.

What I've considered/tried so far:

- setting active hours is obviously useless for me because it can only covers 18h per day

- I played around with local group policies. I tried e.g. "don't restart when a user is logged in" (I'm the only user, so I'm always logged in, except I just started the PC) and some others that sounded useful, but it ended up not working. To make things worse almost all group policies in the WindowsUpdate folder are gone now (I don't know what caused it) and I can no longer access them. However in settings>Windows Update it still says there are group policies in effect that I don't have/see anymore.

- I wanted to do the renaming of "Reboot" to "Reboot.old", but didn't dare to mess with it because I have two of those files called "Reboot_AC" and "Reboot_battery". I already ruined a windows system some time ago by accidentally renaming the wrong file to "something.old", so I was a little hesitant.

- I deactivated the "Reboot_AC" and "Reboot_battery" (had to use PSTools) in the task scheduler. They still say they are deactivated, however just some minutes ago I returned to my PC, just to witness it automatically restarting.

I hope I've found the correct words to describe my issues as my system language isn't English, but I think I can reach more people in English. I hope I've posted to the right place and someone can help me or give some hints.

submitted by /u/Gexxys
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Gexxys, Nov 23, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 23, 2020
  3. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Nov 23, 2020
  4. jbunch07 Win User

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Resolution Suggestion:

# To resolve this problem, make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started..

A simple solution but one that works in most circumstances!

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x80070422.html- source *Smile How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely? :) hope that helps.

jbunch07, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

1. How to disable automatic restarts after updates completely? - Similar Threads - disable automatic restarts

2. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Other users have called Windows Update a cancer and there is no better word to summarize it. This morning I opened my laptop and found it had restarted. Every single thing I had been working on the for the past two weeks is gone. IDE closed, reference docs closed, data files...
  3. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Other users have called Windows Update a cancer and there is no better word to summarize it. This morning I opened my laptop and found it had restarted. Every single thing I had been working on the for the past two weeks is gone. IDE closed, reference docs closed, data files...
  4. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I completely disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I completely disable automatic updates?: Hey, it's me again. No issues this time. This is more of an inquiry. How can I disable automatic updates for good? I have them paused right now because of that faulty security update, and I would like to permanently halt automatic updates. I don't trust them anymore and they...
  6. How do I completely disable automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I completely disable automatic updates?: Hey, it's me again. No issues this time. This is more of an inquiry. How can I disable automatic updates for good? I have them paused right now because of that faulty security update, and I would like to permanently halt automatic updates. I don't trust them anymore and they...
  7. How do I completely disable automatic updates?

8. Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates

Disable Automatic Restarts After Windows Updates: I need a way to disable automatic restarts on Windows 10 Home. Setting active hours does not work. I have engineering programs that run on my system 24/7 and I'm tired of losing data because I come back in the morning to find that my computer randomly restarted during the...
  9. Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates: Is there any REAL way to disable this cancer feature? This is not the first time i have lost unsaved work due to this annoying function, that almost every Windows user hates. I'm trying to behave, but it is really hard to keep calm after loosing unsaved work multiple...
  10. Will RTM allow completely disabling automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will RTM allow completely disabling automatic updates?: Right now, you can't disable automatic updates in Windows 10. You will get all updates eventually. In some environments, this won't work. Some environments need to keep computers static. And it's undesirable to disable the Windows Update service because we may need, for...