Windows 10: How to disable automatic update reboots in Windows 10?

Discus and support How to disable automatic update reboots in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.523) Even if you have pause updates, Windows 10 installs security updates. That is reasonable. However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by petrula, Feb 13, 2019.

1. petrula Win User

How to disable automatic update reboots in Windows 10?

Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.523)

Even if you have pause updates, Windows 10 installs security updates. That is reasonable. However, it is not reasonable that Windows asks you if you want to delay the update and does not wait for an answer. Specifically, say you are backing up something and go away from the computer for awhile. Windows may ask if it should delay the update. If you are not there to immediately answer, Windows will just start installing the update and reboot. Thereby, destroying your backup. Windows should just wait for your answer no matter how long it takes.

Is there anyway to make Windows do this?

Thanks in advance.

:)

petrula, Feb 13, 2019
  2. Ubersonic Win User

Microsoft Decreasing Windows 10 Updates Downtime in Fall Creators Update

Businesses should really be using Windows 10 Pro not Home, that way they can disable either the automatic downloading of updates or the automatic rebooting (or both).

Ubersonic, Feb 13, 2019
  3. _JP_ Win User
    Microsoft Decreasing Windows 10 Updates Downtime in Fall Creators Update

Businesses are using Enterprise. It allows for more than that. *Smile How to disable automatic update reboots in Windows 10? :)

4. Mussels Win User

[Guide] Disabling Windows 10 Automatic updates and "spyware"

the flaw to that tool is that it doesnt let you stop them in advance - only after they've been attempted at least once.

so in the example of a bad video card driver, you'd have to rollback the driver, reboot, run that tool and block it before it installs again (same for a regular update)

Mussels, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

1. How to disable automatic update reboots in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - disable automatic update

2. How to disable Windows 11 automatic reboots?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Windows 11 automatic reboots?: Hi,I have browsed this forum but found so far no real solution:It has happened to my now several times that I was running tasks over extended periods of time only to come back to my PC the next morning to find Windows 11 had done an automatic reboot! So not only the tasks...
  3. How to disable Windows 11 automatic reboots?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Windows 11 automatic reboots?: Hi,I have browsed this forum but found so far no real solution:It has happened to my now several times that I was running tasks over extended periods of time only to come back to my PC the next morning to find Windows 11 had done an automatic reboot! So not only the tasks...
  4. Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled: I am at my last straw. This problem appears around community multiple times and no real solution has been given. OP`s usually just disappear. I have tried all suggestions. From driver updates, fresh installs, PSU swap, UPS swap, power cable swap, even replaced CPU cooler.PC...
  5. Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled: I am at my last straw. This problem appears around community multiple times and no real solution has been given. OP`s usually just disappear. I have tried all suggestions. From driver updates, fresh installs, PSU swap, UPS swap, power cable swap, even replaced CPU cooler.PC...
  6. Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to Disable Windows 10 Automatic Updates!: Yes, apparently it IS possible.I didn't know either, and believe me I've scoured the web. This came directly from a Microsoft support rep. Heres the chat between us I've cut out the insignificant parts:Ive looked through the settings but it doesnt seem like I can COMPLETELY...
  8. How to disable windows automatic updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable windows automatic updates?: What is the best way to disable windows 10 from automatically restarting for updates in 2020 without risk of losing data or other things? I tried disabling windows updates in services. I have a windows home, so no using group editing policies to stop updates, which was one...
  9. Disable automatic reboot for updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable automatic reboot for updates: Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing...
  10. Disable automatic reboot for updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable automatic reboot for updates: Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing...