Windows 10: How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer

Discus and support How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft launched its Windows 10 operating system in 2015, it merged the local search functionality with the digital assistant Cortana and also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 5, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer

When Microsoft launched its Windows 10 operating system in 2015, it merged the local search functionality with the digital assistant Cortana and also Bing Search.

Cortana has since been revamped completely and cut from many parts of the operating system, but Bing Search is still integrated. Run a search for something, and you may get local and remote results. There has never been an option to switch the search engine.

Some users may like the feature, as it may speed up certain look-ups or operations; others dislike it, as the local input is submitted to Microsoft servers. Bing is also not the best of search engines outside of the United States, and especially for non-English speaking countries.

How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer windows-10-web-search-start.png

Tip: if you rely on local results, check out this guide to manage search index locations in Windows 10. If you run into troubles, use Microsoft's Windows 10 Search Indexer Diagnostics app.

The remote functionality of Windows 10 Search's was the cause for several issues in the past. Users ran into CPU spikes in 2019, and saw a blank box only for some time in 2020.

Up to Windows 10 version 1909, administrators could set a Registry key, BingSearchEnabled, to turn off Bing Search functionality in Search. Microsoft removed the Registry key in Windows 10 version 2004. According to Windows Latest, a new option is now available to disable the Web Search functionality of the Windows Start Menu.

Disable Bing Search in Windows 10

How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer windows-registry-disable-internet-search-windows-10.png

1. Note that you need to have elevated rights to edit the Registry.
    2. Create a backup of the Registry just in case.
    3. Open the Start Menu, type regedit.exe, and load the Registry Editor result that is displayed to you.
    4. Go to the Registry key Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
    5. Check if a subkey Explorer exists.
      1. If the key exists, go to 6) below.
      2. If it does not exist, right-click on Windows, select New > Key, and name it Explorer.
    6. Right-click on Explorer and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
      1. Name it DisableSearchBoxSuggestions.
      2. Double-click on it and set its value to 1
    7. Restart Windows, sign-out and on again, or kill the Search process in the Task Manager to complete the process.

Yoou can restore Web search functionality by deleting the Dword DisableSearchBoxSuggestions using the Registry Editor.

When you run a search now on Windows 10, you should get local results only. The quick search suggestions, e.g. to run a search for weather, are also no longer listed when you open the Start Menu on the system.

How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer windows-10-disabled-bing-search.png

Disabling Bing Search in Windows 10 has several benefits: it is better for privacy, and it eliminates a cause for search issues on the system.

Now You: What is your take on the integration of web searches in Windows Search?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 5, 2020

2. how to remove bing

Hi NCA666,

My name is Roger W, an independent advisor trying to help. Let's try with the following suggestions, please:

Step 1:

Steps for removing Bing from search bar:

1. In Search type “Cortana & Search Settings” and hit enter.

2. You will have to find “Search online and include web results” feature and toggle the switch to disable it.

Note: Set the switch to “Off” state.

3. Reboot the Windows 10 device and your Bing search bar should be disabled.

Step 2:

Steps for removing Bing from the Browser.

Open Internet Explorer and click on the Gear icon.

Click on the ‘Manage add-ons’ option.

Click on ‘Search Providers’ which is on left pane.

Right click on ‘Bing’ where is listed under the ‘Name:’ column.

Click on ‘Remove’ from the drop-down menu.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

RogerWaltes98, Oct 5, 2020
  3. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Oct 5, 2020
  4. How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer

delete bing from win 10

Hi Bill,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

Step 1:

Steps for removing Bing from search bar:

1. In Search type “Cortana & Search Settings” and hit
    enter

2. You will have to find “Search online and include web results” feature and toggle the switch to
    disable it.

Note: Set the switch to “Off” state.

3. Reboot the Windows 10 device and your Bing search bar should be disabled.

Step 2:

Steps for removing Bing from the Browser.

• Open Internet Explorer and click on the Gear icon.
    • Click on the ‘Manage add-ons’ option.
    • Click on ‘Search Providers’ which is on left pane.
    • Right click on ‘Bing’ where is listed under the ‘Name:’ column.
    • Click on ‘Remove’ from the drop-down menu.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Oct 5, 2020
Thema:

How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer

1. How to disable Bing Search in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer - Similar Threads - disable Bing Search

2. Disable Bing Search in Windows 10 v1909 (build 18363.1016)?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable Bing Search in Windows 10 v1909 (build 18363.1016)?: Does anyone know if this is possible? I will never in my entire life use Bing to search, and I don't want web results from my start menu search function. I have found a number of posts showing Cortana settings or a registry edit to disable this, but the setting doesn't exist...
  3. Disable Bing in cortana search

in Cortana
    Disable Bing in cortana search: When trying to search in the search bar, if I mistakenly click on any of the questions, it automatically brings up Edge/Bing. I've removed it from any defaults that I can find, but it's infuriating that I can't remove/disable this thing entirely. It's not a good web browser,...
  4. Search Problem Windows 10 Version 1909 - 2004

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search Problem Windows 10 Version 1909 - 2004: A few weeks before I updated from Win 10 1909 to 2004, Windows Explorer started to have problems... I went to search something using the search bar at the corner of the explorer window. but the search bar would not respond to anything.... I click it, nothing happens... i...
  5. Disable Bing Search on Windows 10 2004 (May 2020 Update) (Easiest Method!)

Disable Bing Search on Windows 10 2004 (May 2020 Update) (Easiest Method!): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheFlairGun [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h0stez/disable_bing_search_on_windows_10_2004_may_2020/
  6. How do you disable Bing from the taskbar search?

How do you disable Bing from the taskbar search?: I had this disabled previously through an old registry edit I had found, but with the Cortana change in 2004, typing in the search bar brings up Bing search results again. I was going to post this in the weekly question thread, but there isn't one for some reason. submitted...
  7. How to I disable Cortana in version 2004?

How to I disable Cortana in version 2004?: So I installed the newest update yesterday, so far so good. Except now Cortana is forced on me? Even though it's not available in my region? Anyways, it's annoying because I alt+tab a lot, and everytime I do that, instead of changing windows it brings up Cortana. Thanks in...
  8. How to disable Bing on Windows 10 Startup?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable Bing on Windows 10 Startup?: How do I disable Bing on Windows 10 startup. I don't want it launching automatically. * Original title: Bing * Moved from Bing ***Modified title from: How do I disable Bing on Windows 10 startup. I don't want it launching automatically.***...
  9. Disable BING as default search engine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable BING as default search engine: How do I disable BING from my browser? It pops up on start-up as the default search engine. It's so frustrating. I've gone into menu setting to change, tried the Cortana search settings fix, and it still defaults back to Bing. Have searched the internet over the months...
  10. How to disable Bing web search results in Windows 10 Start Menu

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Bing web search results in Windows 10 Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 v1903 has separated Cortana and Windows Search. The search looks a lot better, but it still shows Bing web search results in the results. Usually when using Windows 10 computer, many don’t like this. In this post, we [...] This post How to disable...