Windows 10: How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?

Discus and support How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My laptop would go into connected standby mode after some time Event ID 506. Normally this would not be a problem, but it sometimes does this when my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ChiNoel, May 15, 2023.

1. ChiNoel Win User

How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?

My laptop would go into connected standby mode after some time Event ID 506. Normally this would not be a problem, but it sometimes does this when my laptop is doing some real work like rendering and the system would enter the said connected standby mode which might cause a WHEA error that crashes the system. My power config is set to never sleep, and yet it still does this.Spec:CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7735HGPU: RTX 4060 LaptopRAM: 8GB*2 DDR5 4800MHzI simply want a way to sort of customize the trigger of connected standby.

:)

ChiNoel, May 15, 2023
  2. benoitvm Win User

Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ?

I have a freshly installed workstation and have changed the power setting to sleep=never while plugged in.

Yet, after some time, the system goes to 'connected standby'.

In the event log, I see:

'The system is entering connected standby

Reason: Idle Timeout.'

Is there a way to completely prevent the system from going to sleep ?

benoitvm, May 15, 2023
  3. Fcis_M Win User
    Task scheduler On Idle task not triggered Windows 7

Windows 10: I've just tested on windows 10 and set the task idle time to be 5 mins, but it
    still triggered after 4 mins only, I've manually timed it 3 times and always triggers after 4 mins not 5 mins, any idea why?

Windows 7: Isn't the task triggered because Windows 7 does not admire the 4 minute idle timer as
    according to Microsoft Windows 7 checks if the system is idle every 15 minutes? if so then shouldn't it work if the task idle time is set to 20 mins for example?

UPDATE : I just tested it and manually timed it twice on my Windows 7 machine and it always triggers after 15 mins of Idle time even if I am setting the Idle task to 20 mins. Also my
    application doesn't start although the task is triggered but instead of my application running a screensaver starts running although I am setting screensaver to off on my machine. Any explanations or advice please?

WMI suggestion: Could you advise with the steps step by step to follow to do you WMI suggestion
    please?

Fcis_M, May 15, 2023
  4. ChrisT2 Win User

Idle Time Out

My plugged in system goes into 'connected standby' for the reason as shown in the
    Event Viewer

The system is entering connected standby

Reason: Idle Timeout.

How do I prevent my system from entering connected standby? Please note I have the following settings in
    Power & Sleep settings Sleep

On battery power, PC goes to sleep after

4min

When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after

Never

Is it possible to increase or disable the Idle Timeout for going into connected standby?

***Modified title from: Idle Time Out***

[Mod Edit: Changed title from "How to disable Connected Standy?]

ChrisT2, May 15, 2023
Thema:

1. How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout? - Similar Threads - disable connected standby

2. How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?: My laptop would go into connected standby mode after some time Event ID 506. Normally this would not be a problem, but it sometimes does this when my laptop is doing some real work like rendering and the system would enter the said connected standby mode which might cause a...
  3. How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable connected standby triggered by idle timeout?: My laptop would go into connected standby mode after some time Event ID 506. Normally this would not be a problem, but it sometimes does this when my laptop is doing some real work like rendering and the system would enter the said connected standby mode which might cause a...
  4. How do you disable "modern standby"??

How do you disable "modern standby"??: My laptop keeps turning on in my backpack and cooking itself to death. I just took it out of my backpack two hours after putting it in and it's burning hot with the battery drained to around 20 percent. I know I can use hibernate instead but I shouldn't have to. Hibernate...
  5. Monitors Standby Timeout Limited to 30minutes or less.

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitors Standby Timeout Limited to 30minutes or less.: The issue I have is my Monitor Standby period is limited to 30mins max. If I set it to a higher timeout period it will just keep running my screensaver perpetually....monitors do not enter standby. Any timeout for standby 30minutes or less and this issue is not present....
  6. Windows tool to prevent standby mode using triggers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows tool to prevent standby mode using triggers: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Junaid0005 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g7qany/windows_tool_to_prevent_standby_mode_using/
  7. Prevent laptop from entering Modern Standby i.e. due to Idle Timeout when plugged into AC...

Prevent laptop from entering Modern Standby i.e. due to Idle Timeout when plugged into AC...: I need to prevent my laptop from entering Modern Standby when plugged in to AC power My plugged in system goes into 'connected standby' for the reason as shown in theEvent Viewer "The system is entering connected standby" Reason: Idle Timeout. How do I prevent my system...
  8. Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ? reboot

Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ? reboot: Hi I would like to revive these two threads: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/running-processes-suspended-when-display-goes-off/233c8fed-836f-46da-b92f-51530b340d28?tm=1551434342298...
  9. How to disable touchscreen when in standby mode?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable touchscreen when in standby mode?: Hello everyone, as in the subject my issue is related with the touch screen as in standby mode. Until now, when I activated this mode even if I touched the screen, the screen remained sleeping. But now, maybe for some updates, it's no more working in that way and...
  10. Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ?

Sleep set to never, yet system enters 'connected standby' due to 'idle timeout' - why ?: I have a freshly installed workstation and have changed the power setting to sleep=never while plugged in. Yet, after some time, the system goes to 'connected standby'. In the event log, I see: 'The system is entering connected standby Reason: Idle Timeout.' Is there a...