Windows 10: How to Disable Cortana after its been disabled ??

Discus and support How to Disable Cortana after its been disabled ?? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So after turning off Cortana in settings, I see its still running in the Task Manager, right click to end task and it starts right back up. So how do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DTG1, Aug 8, 2015.

1. DTG1 Win User

How to Disable Cortana after its been disabled ??

So after turning off Cortana in settings, I see its still running in the Task Manager, right click to end task and it starts right back up. So how do you disable it completely? *really

found this...

After playing around with it a bit, and I think I found a method.

Open Task Manager and have it show More details. Right click on Cortana and select Open file location.

How to Disable Cortana after its been disabled ?? [​IMG]

Now find the Cortana folder, right click it, and select Rename. I would recommend just adding ".bak" to the end of the folder name so you can find it easily if you want to restore it back to it's original status.

If you attempt to rename, it will tell you that the folder is in use.

This is when you want to go back to Task Manager, right click on Cortana, and select End task.

Right after the task ends, switch back to the Folder In Use window and click Try Again. The folder should be renamed and the Cortana task will not start again.

:)

DTG1, Aug 8, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Aug 8, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Freezing randomly [SOLVED]

Hi,

I solved this problem by disabling Cortana. I now have the Search Windows box instead of Ask Cortana. This does involve a registry change.

Instructions are here

How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10

or

How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10

If Cortana reappears after a win10 update you will need to make the change again.

Cortana was also making Word and Excel 2007 extremely slow to start.

I never used Cortana.

G

SkySurferG, Aug 8, 2015
  4. Bazz Win User

Solved This is How to permanently Disable Cortana - Windows 10 Forums

Bazz, Aug 8, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    Unfortunately, this disables the Search function, too.

6. Bazz Win User
    Yes it does mate that's the only downside, I can live without the search function.

Bazz, Aug 8, 2015
  7. DTG1 Win User
    The advantage is for desktop users, if MS doesnt want close a program we want closed, we find another way. IMHO Cortana is a privacy issue that is sending your info back to MS.

Oh, and F-bing.

DTG1, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Bazz Win User

Yep I don't want Cortana or need Cortana so I'm thinking about deleting the whole folder, it will give me 64mb's of extra space.

Bazz, Aug 8, 2015
  9. DTG1 Win User
    I wonder if MS will force you install it again.

DTG1, Aug 8, 2015
  10. TeknoBug Win User
    Add AllowCortana with the value of 0 in Windows Search under Policies/Microsoft/Windows in regedit . I no longer have that 25-30MB Cortana process

TeknoBug, Aug 8, 2015
  11. DTG1 Win User
    hklm? Hkcu? I dont see a Windows Search there.

in [ HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search ] there is a key for "CortanaMUID". I dont know what this value is, yet.

12. rem 0 - Disable Cortana in Taskbar search
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search" /v "CortanaEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM 0 - Disable Cortana, Bing Search and Searchbar
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

TairikuOkami, Aug 10, 2015
  13. Aanderzz Win User

Hey all, I'm new here, and I followed this advice some time ago when I first got windows 10 and didn't like Cortana. however now I would like to have the search bar back......is there anyway to reverse this process? I simply tried to walk it back, but it wouldn't let me. HELP!

Aanderzz, Nov 20, 2015
  14. TairikuOkami, Nov 20, 2015
  15. Mackarus Win User
    I just wanted to bring attention to other duplicates of Cortana in the C:\Windows\WinSxS cache folder under the

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-c..sktop.appxmain.root_%uniquehashgoeshere% folders. A lot of the files are almost identical, should they also be deleted?

Note that TrustedInstaller prevents even an admin from deleting or renaming any of the folders.

Mackarus, Dec 4, 2015
Thema:

1. How to Disable Cortana after its been disabled ?? - Similar Threads - Disable Cortana been

2. how to disable cortana

in Cortana
    how to disable cortana: how to disable cortana. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-cortana/a68b20be-a29d-4b1e-b9f5-15ba5454db6c
  3. disable Cortana

in Cortana
    disable Cortana: Unless Microsoft can provide the kind of user interface that enables folks to STOP Cortana and STOP updating Defaults, it will be the last time I purchase a system with Windows; I will move to the superior OSes of some version of Linux. You folks should be ashamed and you...
  4. Disable Cortana

in Cortana
    Disable Cortana: Cortana has taken over my laptop and I can not do anything. I need this pathetic product disabled or removed. Please advise how I do this this a Windows 10 Home version. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/a7ec5941-7d8a-4721-a6e6-6edc9aabda4c
  5. disable Cortana

in Cortana
    disable Cortana: How do I disable Cortana in WIndows 10? I don't use it. When I click on "end task" in the task manager, it does NOT stay off. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/1e6d20dd-06a1-4365-86cb-d11a28c89742
  6. how to disable cortana?

in Cortana
    how to disable cortana?: i noticed a few weeks ago that every time i go where i used to be able to search files i get the cortana voice. How do it get back file explorer and disable cortana? TY...
  7. Disable Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana: How do I disable Cortana. I have unchecked everything in settings but the darn thing carries on to interrupt! Win 10 Home version 1903. Simple and detailed instructions please. 161565
  8. disable cortana

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable cortana: how can I disable cortana completely when I play a game it pops up in task manager and takes a little cpu and it hangs my game a little https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-cortana/d7fd4128-6c0d-438c-a556-34ca7b7c38ed
  9. Cortana Partially Appearing After Disabling. How to Disable Cortana Completely?

in Cortana
    Cortana Partially Appearing After Disabling. How to Disable Cortana Completely?: Hello, I am trying to disable cortana in my new laptop Windows 10 system, which I am still configuring things. I followed some steps in regedit and set a flag to 0. Source: https://www.hows.tech/2019/04/disable-cortana-in-windows-10.html But it is still showing up the...
  10. Disable Cortana??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Cortana??: How do you disable this?? I used a registry hack but still no good. I want to be able to search without this This is after the new 1607 update. 58467