Windows 10: How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app

Discus and support How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have an app called Far manager where you need to press Fn + 4 key to edit a file, and when I used it my laptop went to sleep. How do I disable this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by aze_vara, Oct 13, 2021.

1. aze_vara Win User

How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app

I have an app called Far manager where you need to press Fn + 4 key to edit a file, and when I used it my laptop went to sleep. How do I disable this behavior in Windows and "customize" the shortcut keys?

:)

aze_vara, Oct 13, 2021

2. FN key always on

Are you sure it is not a mechanical issue with the key's switch?

Check also the notebook's "Accessibility" features. These make the Fn key a "sticky" key so folks with disabilities don't have to press the Fn key and another key simultaneously. This may be in the BIOS but it may also be in notebook's own software that loads at boot. And the OS itself will have some "accessibility" functions. On my Toshiba, the default is for the "Sticky Fn" key to automatically unstick after a couple seconds but there is an option in the menu to disable the automatic unstick feature - meaning it stays "pressed" indefinitely.

Last, if this notebook's OS has been updated, you might check the notebook's webpage for driver updates.

Bill_Bright, Oct 13, 2021
  3. FN key always on

To clarify, I was saying "Accessibility" features maybe be controlled via the BIOS, not the Fn keys. And one of the Accessibility features makes the keys "sticky". This allows folks with some disabilities to press, for example, the Ctrl key, then the Alt key, and then Del in sequence instead of all at once. Same with the Fn key. The sticky feature would let you first press the Fn key, and then the F9 key (for example) and not Fn + F9 at the same time to enable/disable whatever Fn + F9 does with that notebook (it is the touchpad on my Toshiba).

Bill_Bright, Oct 13, 2021
  4. How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app

FN key always on

A friend of mine daughter has an Asus Transform book that I'm interested in buying. There's only one problem: the FN key is always active. Pressing the key does not turn it off. I went into to BIOS to see if it can be disabled in the but there's no option. Is there a way to disable the key from Windows? Like a registry hack or something? It's something that I want, but the FN key is driving me crazy!

GoFigureItOut, Oct 13, 2021
Thema:

How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app

1. How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app - Similar Threads - disable default shortcut

2. How to avoid unwanted Fn Key Shortcut Guide?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to avoid unwanted Fn Key Shortcut Guide?: Using WIndows 11 Home version 22H2, most every time I press the Fn key an unwanted Fn Key Shortcut Guide appears. How do I get rid of that annoying guide? I simply want to use the function key without the distracting guide popping up ever....
  3. How to disable fn keys on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable fn keys on windows 11: Hi! I just got a new laptop and I don't know how to disable the fn keys on it I use the fn keys in a bunch of games and it's getting annoying when I press the fn keys it just opens a help page or mutes my volume...
  4. How to disable fn keys on windows 11

How to disable fn keys on windows 11: Hi! I just got a new laptop and I don't know how to disable the fn keys on it I use the fn keys in a bunch of games and it's getting annoying when I press the fn keys it just opens a help page or mutes my volume...
  5. fn keys default mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fn keys default mode: i have a windows 10 desktop with a rog mother board and a keyboard with fn keys that do volume up down play pause stuff like that I want to change it so I don't have to press the fn button for those and when I look stuff up its says use windows mobility center but that is...
  6. fn keys default mode

fn keys default mode: i have a windows 10 desktop with a rog mother board and a keyboard with fn keys that do volume up down play pause stuff like that I want to change it so I don't have to press the fn button for those and when I look stuff up its says use windows mobility center but that is...
  7. How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app

How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app: I have an app called Far manager where you need to press Fn + 4 key to edit a file, and when I used it my laptop went to sleep. How do I disable this behavior in Windows and "customize" the shortcut keys?...
  8. How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable default Fn shortcut keys for an app: I have an app called Far manager where you need to press Fn + 4 key to edit a file, and when I used it my laptop went to sleep. How do I disable this behavior in Windows and "customize" the shortcut keys?...
  9. FN keys broken - how to permanently disable fn secondary functionality?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    FN keys broken - how to permanently disable fn secondary functionality?: I have a 2015 Lenovo Ideapad. The function keys (as well as arrow keys, the real killer here) are overloaded with functionality like screen brightness, volume, sleep, etc. Something is wrong with the FN key and it acts as though it is permanently depressed, making the f and...
  10. Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working: Shortcut Key FN+F5 Not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-key-fnf5-not-working/ca917718-6d6a-404b-b643-a4398d3f0842