Windows 10: How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows

Discus and support How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The next Windows 10 version may group files automatically in open dialogs. When you use the open option to load files in Windows 10 version 1809 or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 29, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows

The next Windows 10 version may group files automatically in open dialogs. When you use the open option to load files in Windows 10 version 1809 or earlier currently, e.g. to open an image in an image editor or an archive, you get a single list of files sorted by recency.

Microsoft's next version of Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1903, and newer versions may change the default behavior.

Instead of listing files in a single list, it may group files by date-based criteria. The screenshot below shows an open dialog with the three groups "today", "yesterday", and "earlier this week".

How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows windows-open-dialog-disable-groups.png

Groups are not a new feature in Explorer. I talked about them back in 2008 in Windows Explorer Tip: Show In Groups already, and they have been a part of Explorer for some time before that.

While that may be useful at times, especially if you know when a file was modified the last time, it is problematic if you don't have that information but just the file name.

Since files in each group are sorted individually, you'd have to go through each group to locate the file or files. An alternative to that would be to use the search option to find the file that way, but that might delay the operation further depending on the number of files in the folder.

You may notice that there is no View menu available to disable the grouping of files. There is still an option to do so, but it is hidden from sight.

All you need to do is right-click on a blank space in the file listing, e.g. on the right to select Group By > (None) from the context menu to disable the automatic grouping of files in open dialogs.

How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows view-group-by-open-dialog.png

Windows disables grouping immediately after you select none. You may browse a single file listing again just like before after doing so.

The context menu displays other options that you may find useful, e.g. to change the sort order or view options. Those are accessible directly in the open dialog window, however.

It is unclear if Microsoft is testing the change currently on select systems or if it will be the new default for all users when Windows 10 version 1809 is released.

Now You: Do you prefer file groups or a single file listing?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 29, 2019

2. how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?

Hi, AshimShrestha,

File dialog box is necessary when:

• Opening a file. This is so one may select the file they wish to open.
    • Save As. This is necessary when clicking Save As because you may then give the file a Name or a Different Name before saving. (I do not see it appear upon clicking Save)
    • Allows you to select a different Location to Save Files
    Using Group Policy - Look for the option here:

Group Policy at the User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager node.

Smittychat., Mar 29, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 29, 2019
  4. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Mar 29, 2019
Thema:

1. How to disable file groups in Open dialogs in Windows - Similar Threads - disable file groups

2. Completely disable file grouping, always, everywhere, in all windows, dialogs, everything!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Completely disable file grouping, always, everywhere, in all windows, dialogs, everything!: File grouping is degrading my productivity. It is constantly getting between me and my work. What I need to do is prevent Windows from grouping files - EVERYWHERE. Not just in Windows Explorer, but in application file dialogs. That is, file Open and Save dialogs. That is the...
  3. Completely disable file grouping, always, everywhere, in all windows, dialogs, everything!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Completely disable file grouping, always, everywhere, in all windows, dialogs, everything!: File grouping is degrading my productivity. It is constantly getting between me and my work. What I need to do is prevent Windows from grouping files - EVERYWHERE. Not just in Windows Explorer, but in application file dialogs. That is, file Open and Save dialogs. That is the...
  4. How to permanently disable Group By in File Explorer Windows

How to permanently disable Group By in File Explorer Windows: Exact same question, still occurring in Windows 11 for a long time now. The only reply in that thread didn't help, so I'm asking for more help."I would like to permanently disable or remove the "Group By" option in the "View menu" of "File Explorer" in Windows. I can not...
  5. Completely disable file grouping, always, everywhere, in all windows, dialogs, everything!

Completely disable file grouping, always, everywhere, in all windows, dialogs, everything!: Hello,File grouping is degrading my productivity. It is constantly getting between me and my work.I am aware of the methods to disable file grouping within individual folders. Please do not tell me how to do this, I already know.I am also aware of the method that is supposed...
  6. Completely disable file grouping, always, everywhere, in all windows, dialogs, everything!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Completely disable file grouping, always, everywhere, in all windows, dialogs, everything!: Hello,File grouping is degrading my productivity. It is constantly getting between me and my work.I am aware of the methods to disable file grouping within individual folders. Please do not tell me how to do this, I already know.I am also aware of the method that is supposed...
  7. Completely disable file grouping, always, everywhere, in all windows, dialogs, everything!

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. How to disable Downloads group by inside File Open dialog?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable Downloads group by inside File Open dialog?: I know how to turn off inside regular Windows Explorer but not inside File Open dialogs. This seems to only affect Downloads folder too. submitted by /u/mycall [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mpezvg/how_to_disable_downloads_group_by_inside_file/
  9. File based dialogs are grouped

File based dialogs are grouped: I finally was able to get rid of Groups in File Explorer but they persist in File Dialog boxes. How do I get rid of this in the dialogs? I have to spend extra time looking for the folder I want....
  10. how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?

how to disable common open file dialog box in windows 10?: How do i disable file dialog box when i cleck Open, or Save as from any applications in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-common-open-file-dialog-box-in/5a99bb2f-8e30-4468-b7e6-e712e3febdd8"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ungroup file by date in file explorer popup dialog in windows 10

2. nu vot

3. how to change grouping in open file box