Windows 10: How to DISABLE Hidden Items in File Explorer - View

Discus and support How to DISABLE Hidden Items in File Explorer - View in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I need to remove the ability of students 'poking' around in File Explorer. I want to DISABLE their ability by DISABLING the Hidden Items checkbox on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SSN651, Sep 10, 2020.

1. SSN651 Win User

How to DISABLE Hidden Items in File Explorer - View

I need to remove the ability of students 'poking' around in File Explorer. I want to DISABLE their ability by DISABLING the Hidden Items checkbox on the View command tab.

I've tried this, but does not lock them out:
    Code:
    :)

SSN651, Sep 10, 2020

2. How To Disable "Show/Hide Hidden Items" Box In View Tab In File Explorer

Hello,

I am an Administrator of a PC and I have one User. I have some hidden folders and files and want to hidden these from user. So I want to disable the "Hidden Items" Box, so the users cannot unhide the hidden files.

How is it possible without 3rd Party Tools? In Windows 7, I do this through Group Policy but here I am applying the same policy and it works and it is preventing users from unhide the file through "Folder Options". But In Windows 10, Users can simply unhide
    the files through go to the "View" tab and then Tick On the "Hidden Items" Box.

How to Hide or Disable "Hidden Items" Box or "View" tab in File Explorer..?

Thanks In Advance.

Syed Ali ImamJafri, Sep 10, 2020
  3. How do I disable the view tab in file explorer with the group policy editor?

It gives you the option to disable folder options, but the user can still turn file extensions and hidden items on to see them from the view tab in File Explorer. This makes disabling the folder options quite redundant in some ways. How can I stop the
    user from using the view tab? Or at least stop them from enabling file extensions and hidden items.

Verified✔5, Sep 10, 2020
  4. WilliamDz Win User

Hide file bypassing show hidden items?

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is William. I'm a Windows technical expert. I'll be happy to help you out today.

You may already be aware but I will toss this in to clarify the issue: there are two attributes that determines a file's ability to be seen. The first is the hidden attribute. The ability to see these is applied from File Explorer > View > Hidden items check
    box. The other is the system attribute. Files with the system attribute are exposed by going to Options in File Explorer > un-checking the option to "Hide protected operating system files." If the hidden attribute is checked and grayed-out for a given file's
    properties, then it is a system file, otherwise it only a hidden file.

And therein lies the problem. In order for you to work with system files without seeing all the other unwanted system files, you need to remove the system attribute for the files and then you check the option to "Hide protected operating system files" while
    still keep the Hidden items option checked in explorer.

Assuming you are working with some static files, then you can remove the system attribute using the attrib command with -s.

As far as 3rd party solutions go, you would need to look into the a various file explorer alternatives for Windows. There are plenty available and some may offer the option to limit view to not include some file types like .ini.

Here is a small list of file explorer alternatives.

WilliamDz, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

1. How to DISABLE Hidden Items in File Explorer - View - Similar Threads - DISABLE Hidden Items

2. File explorer view

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer view: I'm having a dummy problem. I don't "think" I have changed anything but the view I am seeing when I open File Explorer is different. I understand quick access - but previously I had my most used folders in the lower half of the left hand column. Things that were user specific...
  3. File explorer view

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer view: I'm having a dummy problem. I don't "think" I have changed anything but the view I am seeing when I open File Explorer is different. I understand quick access - but previously I had my most used folders in the lower half of the left hand column. Things that were user specific...
  4. File Explorer views

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer views: Is there a way to save a "view" in file explorer? I prefer to see the items in a folder as a List, but every time I open a folder it has defaulted to Details so I have to change it to List.Can the List view be saved as the default?...
  5. How to disable Compact View in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable Compact View in File Explorer in Windows 10: [IMG]The Compact view is a new feature in File Explorer that you can use to decrease or increase space between items. The recent Insider release of Windows 10 has received this unique feature that uses a new layout with extra padding in the File Explorer – It will soon be...
  6. File explorer and view

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer and view: I have created a map and set the view as Small icons. When I try to follow instructions and define a view for this map it will beset for all other views. I do not like to see other maps as View > Properties not as small icons. It is very annoying. How to manage view...
  7. cant view items in zipped file

cant view items in zipped file: items on desktop are zip files and can not open them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-view-items-in-zipped-file/83d40d9c-61f6-4638-aad9-4d73ec79e9c7"
  8. Hidden Files Can't be changed to "View Hidden Files"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hidden Files Can't be changed to "View Hidden Files": Hello I have Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.523) I noticed that my hidden files could not be viewed, and after exhausting multiple options I just created a new User Profile. Now this new User profile has the issue, and I do not want to keep on creating new...
  9. Unable to click hidden items in file explorer

Unable to click hidden items in file explorer: I have been wondering why i cant click show hidden items in file explorer. It has been a problem for a while now and i do not know how to make it work. It started working again one time but then stopped working again....
  10. Viewing file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Viewing file explorer: I can only see one folder in file explorer. The button to allow we to reverse the folder to the previous size has vanished so I seem to be stuck on maximum...