Windows 10: How to Disable Laptop Keyboard on Windows 10

Discus and support How to Disable Laptop Keyboard on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In order to make laptops lighter and easy to carry, manufacturers have made the keyboards smaller in them. This has made typing difficult on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 9, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

How to Disable Laptop Keyboard on Windows 10

In order to make laptops lighter and easy to carry, manufacturers have made the keyboards smaller in them. This has made typing difficult on the laptops as compared to on the desktop with external keyboards. Now, if you want to disable the laptop keyboard and put an external keyboard on your Windows 10 PC, you can do so. Just follow the tip given in this post.

Though external keyboards create an inconvenience while carrying but it comes with other advantages like sturdy structure, better typing, easy replacement and cheaper as compared to the laptop.

If you want, you can easily disable the laptop keyboard and use external keyboards with the same laptop. There are a variety of external keyboards available in the market with Bluetooth connectivity or USB cable. Let us know how to disable the laptop keyboard on Windows 10:

1. Disable Laptop Keyboard via Device Manager
    2. Disable Laptop Keyboard via Group Policy

Let’s see both the methods in detail:

1] Using Device Manager

To disable the Laptop Keyboard, we recommend you to do using the Device Manager as this method is simple and straightforward. However, one thing you should know that this method doesn’t work on every laptop but you can give it a try, it will not take much of your time. The steps are as follows.

1. Press Win+X and select Device Manager from the list.
    2. Find Keyboards and expand it.
    3. Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable.
    4. If there is no Disable option listed, click Uninstall.
    5. Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.

This method is fine if you want to temporarily disable your laptop keyboard. If you select Uninstall instead of Disable, the keyboard will be automatically detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new hardware for some reason.

2] Disable via Group Policy

If the above method doesn’t work on your Laptop, you can use the Group Policy Editor to enable the device installation restriction. This will prevent your Laptop keyboard from reinstalling when you start up your device. Before you go to the steps, kindly note that this method is only applicable on devices running Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise edition. So, if you want to continue, follow the below suggestions:

1. First of all, open the Device Manager.
    2. Go through the list and expand the Keyboard section.
    3. Right-click on the driver you see there and then select Properties.
    4. Switch to the Details tab.
    5. Click on the Property drop-down menu and select Hardware Ids from the list.
    6. Under the Value section, right-click on the first option and select Copy.
    7. Now open Group Policy Editor.
    8. Then expand the left section as following: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions.
    9. Double click on the Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device instance IDs policy to modify it.
    10. Mark the checkbox next to the Enabled option.
    11. Go to the Options section and click on the Show button.
    12. Inside the Show contents box, under the Value column, double-click the space bar and paste the ID that you have copied in Step 6.
    13. Click the OK button, again click OK.
    14. Right-click on the Start menu and open Device Manager again.
    15. Expand the Keyboard section, right-click on the internal keyboard, and select Uninstall device from the context menu.
    16. If any prompts appear, allow it.
    17. Now close the Device Manager and restart the computer.

If you need, you can now see the above-mentioned steps in detail:

To get it started, open the Device Manager first. Simply right-click on Start and you can select Device Manager from the list.

Once you’re in the Device Manager window, expand the Keyboard section, right-click on the internal keyboard and then select Properties.

How to Disable Laptop Keyboard on Windows 10 [​IMG]

In the Properties window, go to the Details tab. Then click on the Property drop-down menu and change it from Device description to Hardware Ids.

On the same tab, you will see a Value section, right-click on the first option, and select Copy to copy the text.

Now press the Win+R keyboard shortcut to open the Run dialog box.

Inside the text field, type gpedit.msc and hit Enter to open Local Group Policy Editor.

Once you’re in the Local Group Policy Editor window, go to the following location:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions​

After that, move to the right page and search for Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device instance IDs.

Once you find it, double click on it, set it Enabled, and then under the Options section, click on the Show button to open the Show Contents window.

Under the Value column, double-click the space bar and paste the ID that you have copied in the Properties window of the internal keyboard.

Click the OK button, again click OK, and now you can close the Local Group Policy Editor window.

TIP: If your Windows 10 version does not ship with the Group Policy Editor, you can install it on your system.

The next step you need to uninstall the internal keyboard device.

To do so, right-click on the Start menu and open Device Manager. Expand the Keyboard section, right-click on the internal keyboard, and select the Uninstall device option. If a warning message prompts on the screen, click the Uninstall button to confirm.

Once you’re done, your laptop keyboard is disabled. So, close the Device Manager and restart the computer. When you start your computer again, you will see that the native keys of your device are not working anymore.

Hope it helps.

Related: Laptop keyboard not working.

This article How to Disable Laptop Keyboard on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 9, 2021

2. Disabling laptop keyboard

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you follow the steps below and check if that helps:

• Press Windows + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.
    • Find Keyboards in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand it.
    • Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable. If there is no Disable option listed, click
      Uninstall.
    • Click File>Exit. Your laptop’s internal keyboard should now be disabled.
    Note: If you had to choose Uninstall instead of Disable in step 4, the keyboard will be automatically detected and re-installed if you ever have the Device Manager scan for new hardware for some reason. If that happens you’ll need to repeat this procedure
    in order to uninstall it again.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, May 9, 2021
  3. How to disable a laptop keyboard

Hi,BvinR

My name is Erik. I'm an Independent Advisor and I'll be glad to help you today.

I've looked for the details regards about your concern and it will provide you the steps on how to fix the issue.

kindly click this link

I suggest you follow the steps below and check if that helps:

1. Press Windows + X and select Device Manager from the list.

2. Find Keyboards in the list of devices and click the arrow to expand it.

3.Right-click on the internal keyboard and click Disable.

5. Click on Yes in the resulting dialog box to confirm the action and disable the laptop’s built-in keyboard.

6. If you don’t see a Disable option in the resulting context menu, you will see an Uninstall option, and you can click on that to uninstall the drivers for the built-in keyboard instead of simply disabling it.

Take Note:

Windows 10 might automatically update the drivers after detecting the keyboard. If that happens, you will have to make your way back to the Device Manager and uninstall the drivers for the laptop’s built-in keyboard once again.

if these steps did not resolve the issue kindly try this workaround method

click this link

https://thegeekpage.com/disable-laptop-keyboard...

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Regards,

Erik

Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

EriksonBautista24, May 9, 2021
  4. How to Disable Laptop Keyboard on Windows 10

Disable a laptop keyboard (windows 10)

Maybe I need to be more specific. I need someone to tell me the steps I need to take in order to disable my laptop keyboard. I did google it and that lead me to another question on this forum with similar problems I'm having, asking how to disable a laptop
    keyboard, but those steps didn't work.

questingspirit, May 9, 2021
Thema:

1. How to Disable Laptop Keyboard on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable Laptop Keyboard

2. Is it possible to disable laptop keyboard on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to disable laptop keyboard on Windows 10?: I've tried uninstalling the keyboard driver in Device Manager then enable the Device Installation Restrictions in Policy Editor but Windows keeps installing the driver after reboot. I've also tried installing the wrong driver for the keyboard and that didn't work as well....
  3. Disabling of laptop keyboard in windows 10 20H2

Disabling of laptop keyboard in windows 10 20H2: My Laptop's built-in keyboard is an issue of automatic key pressing, since one year I disable it by update the driver with a random manufactures keyboard's driver. But after the latest windows 10 updateversion 20H2 my key board automatically enable and when i again update the...
  4. How to disable Laptop Keyboard Windows 10?

How to disable Laptop Keyboard Windows 10?: After a Windows 10 update, my malfunctioning keyboard came back online and has been holding down the right arrow key periodically. This keyboard is the built-in laptop keyboard. I have tried uninstalling the keyboard, but it automatically reinstalls it upon restart. I have...
  5. Disabling laptop keyboard

Disabling laptop keyboard: Hi, I am trying to disable my laptop keyboard permanently as it is faulty, and I am using an external keyboard. However, I am unable to disable my laptop's keyboard and it is very frustrating when my external keyboard is on top of my laptop. PLEASE HELP. I have tried using...
  6. How to disable a laptop keyboard

How to disable a laptop keyboard: I have a laptop that has a couple of keys that keep pressing themselves, one being the Windows key. I have tried cleaning the keyboard with no success. I don't need the laptop keyboard, as I have an external one. I have Windows 10 home edition and here is what I've tried:...
  7. How to disable laptop keyboard

How to disable laptop keyboard: I need to disable my laptop's built-in keyboard. The keys are broken and it's impossible to type using them, in addition to the fact that the small keyboard space hurts my hands to use. For the longest time I was able to use the wrong driver on the keyboard and was able to...
  8. Laptop keyboard disabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop keyboard disabled: New Lenovo laptop keyboard disabled after initial windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-keyboard-disabled/2e85f6a3-27ec-4a5e-bc7a-9b8442df4d73
  9. Disabling Laptop Keyboard

Disabling Laptop Keyboard: Hi all. I have had an issue with the touchpad and keyboard on my laptop. Solutions to "jumping cursor" have made things worse, so, I am trying the alternative option of using a USB keyboard and mouse. Disabling the mouse is easy. Disable keyboard is greyed out, and the...
  10. How to Disable Laptop Keyboard?

How to Disable Laptop Keyboard?: I have tried: 1. Install an incompatible driver - still works. 2. Disable it through DevManView - gives an error. 3. Uninstalling it - obviously does not work, it will reinstall upon restart. I need it for 2 reasons: for my laptop, so I could put food on my laptop,...