Windows 10: How to disable launching different applications for different users on on Win10 PC

Discus and support How to disable launching different applications for different users on on Win10 PC in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Situation One Win 10 pro 64bit PC configured to be used by three users one is the admin Admin should be able to run any application without... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by LutzBuchholz, Apr 21, 2021.

1. How to disable launching different applications for different users on on Win10 PC

Situation

• One Win 10 pro 64bit PC configured to be used by three users one is the admin
    • Admin should be able to run any application without restrictions
    • One user school kid should not be allowed to start several applications like steam.exe, chrome.exe etc.
    • One user gaming kid should be allowed to start a set of applications like steam.exe, and a set of disallowed applications like chrome.exe

Currently, I am using the Group Policy Editor to manage "disallowed" programs the whole set of applications.

Issue

Unfortunately, these policies are valid for any user working on that specific Win10 PC :- So, the admin cannot run steam.exe ;- without changing the "global" policy.

Request

I would like to configure seperate policies for each user to ensure that e.g. the user "school kid" cannot start several applications in the specific account.

Via Microsoft Family I have configured specific use times for these two users:

• User "schoolkid": this user allowed to use on working days from 8AM to 4PM.
    • User "gaming kid" is allowed to use the Win 10 PC for 1.5hrs per week day Son-Sat between 11AM and 8PM

Unfortunately, Microsoft Family does A only work with an internet connection, and B does not show all installed applications per children account but only the last/most recent used applications, so that I cannot prevent the kid from starting all applications I want to like regedit.exe

I searched the registry after "policies" in HKEY_USERS expecting to find "user-specific policies" - unfortunately, without success.

So, currently it seems to be impossible to block specific applications for specific users AND allow a subgroup to be started only "allow run" and "disallow run" are options; I will still manage the time schedular via MS Family

Does any one has a solution for my request?

Thanks a lot.

.:. lutz

:)

LutzBuchholz, Apr 21, 2021
  2. K2DLS Win User

Launching Application Loads MSI for a Different App

The following issue did not occur on Windows 7 and has occured since upgrading to Windows 10.

I have 2 applications that when launched, first load an MSI for a different program that is already installed. When I get to the prompt stating to insert the disk or browse for the source, I click cancel. I get an Error 1706, no valid source message, click
    ok, the MSI rollsback and then the original application runs.

Checking the shortcuts, both applications are pointing to the right place. I also get the error if I navigate to the Program Files directory and run the exe directly.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Regards,

Dan

K2DLS, Apr 21, 2021
  3. tdehan Win User
    Open With opens with different application then the one selected

Can someone please provide the steps to fix this? This is maddening!

I just upgraded to Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 and now it doesn't even show up in the list of Open With applications.

I don't want Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 to be the default application to open image files as I use numerous different applications to work on my images. I just want it to be an option in the Open With list.

How do I get Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 to show up in the list of Open With applications and how do I confirm that when I select it to open a file it actually opens instead of some different application.

Thanks

tdehan, Apr 21, 2021
  4. JoeO'B Win User

How to disable launching different applications for different users on on Win10 PC

How to move user files to a different partition in win10

How to move user files to a different partition in win10

JoeO'B, Apr 21, 2021
Thema:

How to disable launching different applications for different users on on Win10 PC

1. How to disable launching different applications for different users on on Win10 PC - Similar Threads - disable launching different

2. how to grant access to different users for different subfolders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to grant access to different users for different subfolders?: Hi everyone,Is there a way to give access to multiple users to different subfolders all at once? or automatically?Here's the situation I'm facing: I have 500 users and 500 subfolders for them in our drive, and I need to give each one of them access to their folder only to...
  3. Different windows 10 features on different users

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different windows 10 features on different users: Hello everyone I'm wondering if its possible to have some windows 10 features enable in one user and the same feature disable in another.I need to use Hyper-V ON in my work user account , but in my personal account i need to turn OFF . Its really annoying to reboot and change...
  4. Different applications crashing upon launch on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Different applications crashing upon launch on Windows 10: Apps will exit automatically upon launch. Apps affected: Spotify, Webull, Windows Settings, most apps including installation file, and windows update tool.Apps not affected: Chrome, cmd.Ran sfc, DISM scan restore and component cleanup... didn't help. If anyone knows...
  5. Different Users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Different Users: I have a computer that I own but was used thru Raymond James a Company. I had 3 users Daniel King, Nancy Wiles and Patrick King I had Turbo Tax loaded on for the last 3 years. Under Daniel King, We all left Raymond James, I can get on the computer as Patrick King but I...
  6. Different versions of Firefox for different users?

in Browsers and Email
    Different versions of Firefox for different users?: My PC has three users. Is it possible to run different versions for different users? For example, ESR v52 and Quantum v62 118890
  7. Different behavior of applications on different PC's

Different behavior of applications on different PC's: Hi - I'm running Win 10, the same version on three PC's side-by side and very often I'm running into an issue of different behavior of Windows on different machines. Let me give you simple example: Different order of columns in the command window(Administrator): net user...
  8. Different coloring capabilities with different Win10 versions?

Different coloring capabilities with different Win10 versions?: OK, so we all know Win10's basic look is rather heavily white, and I'm finding that hard to work with. I've learned that, on my own PC, I can to go Settings> Personalization> Colors and add color to window title bars, which helps quite a lot. But that feature is much more...
  9. Different installs - different user names

in Windows 10 Support
    Different installs - different user names: Over time I had a few retail licenses for Windows 7(seven) Pro and one Windows 10 x64 retail. In the Windows Explorer->Help->About, they show different users under licensed to. One old (blabla at hotmail) and one new (blabla at outlook.com) They are both correct. I don't...
  10. Different power plan for different users

in Windows 10 Support
    Different power plan for different users: As the title suggests, is it possible? My brother favors to choose Shut down when I close the Lid, whereas I prefer Sleep mode.If I change, it changes for my brother's account also.I do not want this.I suspect there might be something useful in Group policy>user...