Windows 10: How to disable "Let Windows manage my default printer". Not every time time the user logs...

Discus and support How to disable "Let Windows manage my default printer". Not every time time the user logs... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am a apprentice in the field of IT. I work at DTU (Denmarks Technical University). It is a quite big university, with numerous institutions. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by vicmrp, Aug 8, 2019.

1. vicmrp Win User

How to disable "Let Windows manage my default printer". Not every time time the user logs...

I am a apprentice in the field of IT. I work at DTU (Denmarks Technical University). It is a quite big university, with numerous institutions. I am working in one of these institutions. All the institutions is centralized, under one head IT department, and i am working in a sub IT department. All the departments gets Windows 10 through SCCM. And as far as i am concerned, there is only one image, which is meant to fit all institutions. So i cannot change the image for my needs, i can only tweak it after it has been installed (if that's possible).

So when i make a new PC and install Windows 10, then i want, to set a default printer automatically. But only once.

The hurdle is this Windows setting "Let Windows manage my default printer". I cannot figure out how to turn it off properly. I tried with GPO, but then every time the user logs in again, then it resets the policy. Which is a problem if a user actually wishes to have this setting turned on. Also i don't like the idea of pushing out a GPO affecting all PC's already on site! I only want to configure new PC's. Therefore i resolved to Powershell. With Powershell you can run a script containing two commands, does not even need admin rights. The first command install the printer. The second command sets the printer default. SO HERE IS THE PROBLEM. In order for the script to work you need to first disable the Windows setting "Let windows manage my default printer". Which is tied to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER in regedit. And if you run a PW script whit admin rights (what another admin account) then the changes in reg editor HKEY_CURRENT_USER, will be changed to the admin account running the script, which is not the goal.

Any suggestions to automatically set the default printer settings (only once) on a PC after it has been installed (Changing the image is not an option i believe)?

My approach, is to install a script on the computer (i believe i can do that automatically), that runs a PW job. That awaits when the intended user logs in. Then it install the printer by it self, then terminates when succeeded. The problem is just that i don't know how to disable "Let windows manage my default printer" setting.

How do i disable "Let Windows manage my default printer"?

:)

vicmrp, Aug 8, 2019

2. How to disable the "Let Windows Manage my default Printer"

Hi Dharmendra,

I suggest you to refer to the steps provided below which helps you to disable the Default print management.

• Sign into your account as
      Administrator

• Open Settings, and click/tap on the
      Devices icon.

• Click/tap on Printers & scanners on the left side, and turn on (default) or off
      Let Windows manage my default printer for what you want on the right side. (see screenshot below)

• When finished, you can close Settings if you like.
    Once you have turned off this feature, it will get reflected for all the other users.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Aug 8, 2019
  3. tremore Win User
    Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

Hi to all.

I am having an annoing problem with shared printers.

The user that share a printer lose the default printer in any case when another user print on this shared and it turn immediatly default printer only for the user that share the printer.

The printer shared is a label printer without network port and all was working very well before this , in my opinion, unusefull improve.

All user have the " not manage default option" , win 10 pro but seems that "default option" do not effect at all with shared printers.

It is clear that is a very bad working for the sharing printer user that have to check every time what the actual default printer.

any suggestion or is it a win 10 bug ?

ciao

tremore, Aug 8, 2019
  4. davidhk Win User

How to disable "Let Windows manage my default printer". Not every time time the user logs...

Default network printer randomly defaults to the adobe PDF printer

Start button > Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners >click at your printer > click Set as Default > click at Microsoft Print to PDF > click Remove device > click Yes to confirm >
    I would suggest that you enable Let Windows manage my default printer option. That way, your default printer will be the last printer used.

davidhk, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

1. How to disable "Let Windows manage my default printer". Not every time time the user logs... - Similar Threads - disable Let manage

2. Group Policy - Disable Let Windows Manage My Default Printer AND prevent Re-Enable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Group Policy - Disable Let Windows Manage My Default Printer AND prevent Re-Enable: I know that I can navigate to:User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printersand enable:Turn off Windows default printer managementbut this does not prevent users, applications, things from re-enabling it.Is it possible to prevent this setting from...
  3. Group Policy - Disable Let Windows Manage My Default Printer AND prevent Re-Enable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Group Policy - Disable Let Windows Manage My Default Printer AND prevent Re-Enable: I know that I can navigate to:User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printersand enable:Turn off Windows default printer managementbut this does not prevent users, applications, things from re-enabling it.Is it possible to prevent this setting from...
  4. Group Policy - Disable Let Windows Manage My Default Printer AND prevent Re-Enable

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Want to automatically log in every time

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Want to automatically log in every time: I don't want to type my password every time my pc shuts off.I know there is something, which can be found using a command on 'run',that uses microsoft username and password to automatically log in everytime. But I forgot what that is. Can someone tell me what that is?...
  6. Log in every time

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Log in every time: Hi, I have a windows 10 desktop. I have been able to log into my accounts without any trouble. Recently I have had to have someone call or send me a text with a password so I can log on. It gets to be a pain. These are sites I use every day, and I am the only one who uses...
  7. Let Windows Manage my Default Printer not working

Let Windows Manage my Default Printer not working: We have several Surface Laptop 2's with Win 10 Enterprise installed. On all of them, the "Let Windows Manage my Default Printer" option in Settings does not work. You can check the box but Windows will not change the default printer as it should. Same image is on all of our...
  8. my PC creates a new temporary user every time I log in

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my PC creates a new temporary user every time I log in: hey, for some reason, every time I log into my user in my PC, a new temporary user is created. i cant think of anything that triggered it. [ATTACH] so my questions are: 1) does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? [yes, i tried restarting] 2) is there a...
  9. Default app will be reset every time

Default app will be reset every time: Hello dear friends, I tried many way(safe mode, set default app by right click on each file,...) but unfortunately every time after restart windows default apps change to default unfortunately I can't restore windows to original one because of many app that installed! So...
  10. Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off: Hi, We have a bunch of people that their printer keeps switching from a defaulted network printer, printing from a print server on a domain controller to a locally installed printer. We use group policy preferences to add the printer to the user profile and let windows...