Windows 10: How to disable memory caching and the standby memory in Win 10

Discus and support How to disable memory caching and the standby memory in Win 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have been noticing that my laptop stutters and plain does the hour-glass thing on many occasions. I have been too busy to investigate until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cyberGotama, Dec 27, 2020.

1. How to disable memory caching and the standby memory in Win 10

Hi,

I have been noticing that my laptop stutters and plain does the hour-glass thing on many occasions. I have been too busy to investigate until now. What I found is that practically all my memory appears to be permanently utilized and when I try to trace what process is using up the memory it cannot be determined. Eventually, I found out that Windows 10 itself is actually doing this via its memory caching and standby memory facilities. I am sure if you are running Win 10 on an up-to-date CPU and with loads of physical RAM these features work fine. But on an old i7 with 16Gb RAM it just makes things worse. Worse still, there does not appear to be any way to TURN THESE FEATURES OFF... this is so frustrating. RAMMap allows you empty some of these areas in memory - bit immediately after clearing the memory you can see it building up again. This is nothing more than a glorified memory leak.. worse still it is also hammering my CPU to perform the required compression operations and additional memory manipulations hence the drop in performance.

Would someone please tell me how to disable these features? Else, tell me how I can escalate this issue to the point where what I am asking for can be addressed in a future update of Windows 10.

:)

cyberGotama, Dec 27, 2020

2. How to Disable memory caching/standby memory in windows 10?

Okay I know this is going to sound strange and I know Im going to get people that will tell me how I dont want to turn off standby memory.

SHUSH

yes I do. don't tell me I dont.

I have been having several stability and preformance problems related to standby memory slowly growing and taking up space during a usage session, noticeably impacting performance and causing response time lags and even stutters.

When my system is freshly booted up and the standby memory is hardly taking up any space on my ram at all, my system is lightning fast with no performance issues at all, but as the standby memory grows i start getting audio stuttering, video stuttering, and
    even mouse response lag.

When I clear the standby memory that all goes away.

Please can anyone tell me how do I 100% turn off standby memory/memory caching in its entirety? Meaning yes there will be empty space in my RAM unless an application decides to fill it. meaning applications also dont have to wait for the standby memory to be
    unloaded to replace the adress with its own memory. As far as I'm concerned at this point Standby memory in windows 10 is just a fancy kind of memory leak.

Technificent, Dec 27, 2020
  3. How to Disable memory caching/standby memory in windows 10?

Hello,

We understand that you are aware on how it works with the memory caching and the standby memory. However, the feature to completely turn off standby memory or memory caching is not yet available. To better assist you, we suggest that you post your query
    to our Feedback Hub. From there, you'll be able to submit a new issue where Microsoft developers will cater it.

We encourage you to submit your issue using the
    Feedback Hub
    . You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly
    receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

• On a Windows 10 device, search for Feedback Hub in Cortana
      search, then launch the app.
    • Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
    • Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.

Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or
      Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
    • Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
    • Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
    • Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
    • Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
    • Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like
      Redirection Tools<unique link>).

Let us know if this information was helpful to you.

Jennifer Bri, Dec 27, 2020
  4. EdKiefer Win User

How to disable memory caching and the standby memory in Win 10

Releasing Standby memory

This is the first I have heard of any issues with Standby list memory causing issues outside of games.
    I know there were a lot of reports around 1809 of games having issues where the standby list didn't release memory and games would stutter. There are a few programs that can clear up this issue. I have used both and they do work but I only used it for games, never noticed any issues in windows applications.
    ISLC (Intelligent standby list cleaner) by Wagnarsoft and Processlasso by Bitsum can clear the standby list automatically.

EdKiefer, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

How to disable memory caching and the standby memory in Win 10

1. How to disable memory caching and the standby memory in Win 10 - Similar Threads - disable memory caching

2. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Standby Memory: Hello community! I've had a recurring issue exactly like the one stated in this article. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-staterepository-state-repository/a2fc48f9-bdb1-4f33-9692-3750dc7d79f5?page=1. While trying to find information about the...
  3. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Standby Memory: Hello community! I've had a recurring issue exactly like the one stated in this article. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/explorer-and-staterepository-state-repository/a2fc48f9-bdb1-4f33-9692-3750dc7d79f5?page=1. While trying to find information about the...
  4. Standby Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to clear memory cached files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clear memory cached files?: I'm developing in C++ and C# and working with larger files tens to hundreds of GB and performance is a major issue. However, once a file has been read it is cached in memory and subsequent reads no longer go to disk. This makes it difficult to gauge the performance. For...
  6. How can I limit standby/cache memory in windows 10

How can I limit standby/cache memory in windows 10: HiWhen my PC starts up there is 7GB of memory set aside as cache/standby. As I use my PC through the day and over the course of a couple of days this goes up until there is around 25GB cached. When it gets to this point starting an application that requires a lot of memory...
  7. Releasing Standby memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Releasing Standby memory: Windows 10 Pro, 32GB memory, 970 GTX GPU. Ordinary boring, but previously very capable desktop. I'm running a couple Adobe tools. Needless to say, they are total pigs. And it appears they've gotten WORSE in the current version. When the Adobe products are up and running,...
  8. Memory Standby High

Memory Standby High: For some reason, my standby memory is really high, and when I empty it using RamMap it comes back like a 100 megabytes a second. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-standby-high/3a6a7a74-f99f-435d-a9da-59d139caf7ff
  9. Memory Cache

Memory Cache: I have over 3 GB in cached memory on my laptop, and my system is running very slow. Should I clear this and how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-cache/21e6386b-7e09-4237-9c40-22e40271175d
  10. standby memory not releasing

standby memory not releasing: Windows 10 ver 1903 standby memory not releasing, have to use Rammap all the time. All drivers are up to date, no malware or virus, any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/standby-memory-not-releasing/e5341242-acc1-4a88-927d-bf7842fd3a54