Windows 10: How to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus while keeping ability to update it?

Discus and support How to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus while keeping ability to update it? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello. I would like to: 1.) Disable Microsoft Defender real-time protection 2.) Disable all Microsoft Defender automatic scans 3.) Keep Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DocLuis, Mar 5, 2020.

1. How to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus while keeping ability to update it?

Hello. I would like to:

1.) Disable Microsoft Defender real-time protection

2.) Disable all Microsoft Defender automatic scans

3.) Keep Microsoft Defender updatable because the anti-malware engine has been shown to be an attack surface.

I have numbers 1 and 3 taken care of. I'm not so certain how to take of number 2. I'm running Build 19041 aka Windows 10 2004 Education.

Thanks.

Edit: I think I found it. I'm deleting the task "Windows Defender Scheduled Scan" in Task Scheduler. It might return after a reboot.

submitted by /u/DocLuis
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DocLuis, Mar 5, 2020

2. Windows Defender disables itself

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing the issue on Windows defender.

I will certainly help you with this.

I would like to inform you that if you have other antivirus on your computer, so Windows defender automatically

disable itself.

If you don’t have any other antivirus on computer then I would suggest you to check the services for Windows defender:

Steps:

• Close all application and program and reboot the computer.

• Press Windows key+R.

• Type services.msc and press enter.

• From the list, you will see two services for Windows defender.

• Right click on both the services one at a time.

• Click on properties.

• Under general tab, select automatic from startup type.

• Click on start and then click on apply and then ok.

• Reboot the computer and check if it helps.

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Mar 5, 2020
  3. afornal Win User
    Defender AntiVirus

There are 4 options under Defender. Two refer to AntiVirus; AntiVirus Network Inspection Service & AntiVirus Services. Under Startup Type these two are listed as manual and the Status column said Inspection Service is running. When I clicked on the Start
    button in Properties, I got an immediate message: "Win.. Def.. Anti.. Serv.. on local comp.. started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

afornal, Mar 5, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

How to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus while keeping ability to update it?

What the hell, windows defender?

Correct. This leaves me wondering if the update superseded gpedit settings, because these updates tend to reset a bunch of shit, or if the update broke/ignored that gpedit setting because there was some change to Windows Defender which doesn't respect gpedit changes.

Right. I'm a pretty careful user, and know how to avoid getting viruses. That's not to say I'm invulnerable or something unexpected might not happen sometime, but for me, it's more convenient to disable antivirus software than it is to have one running that constantly thinks my miner is a virus...

@Bill_Bright My problem with Microsoft is that I just want my computer to function the way I want it to. If I change settings, disable stuff, or even make changes Microsoft may think aren't particularly wise, such as disabling Defender, not using another antivirus software, and disabling UAC, I should be able to expect that it will function the same way tomorrow and 10 years from now, provided I don't make any changes myself.

Thema:

How to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus while keeping ability to update it?

1. How to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus while keeping ability to update it? - Similar Threads - disable Microsoft Defender

2. Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Keep updating...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 Keep updating...: It seems that Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 is keep updating every day and it eats up my C drive storage by 1Gb per day, So will it stop automatically one day or is there anyway for me to stop the update process manually Without...
  3. How do I disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus: I know by now, that gpedit does not work. What I have found is that third party software antivirus can disable Microsoft Defender using its API.I need to disable it without the obligation to run third party software.Right now, the only to pieces of software that is malware on...
  4. How do I disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus

How do I disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus: I know by now, that gpedit does not work. What I have found is that third party software antivirus can disable Microsoft Defender using its API.I need to disable it without the obligation to run third party software.Right now, the only to pieces of software that is malware on...
  5. How do I disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Microsof Defender Antivirus Disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsof Defender Antivirus Disabled: Windows 10 Home 22H2. Microsoft Defender Antivirus became disabled somehow while I was troubleshooting a GPU problem. At present, I cannot reactivate Windows Defender Antivirus. The on-off switch is grayed out under "Real time Protection" in Virus Threats and Protection...
  7. Microsof Defender Antivirus Disabled

Microsof Defender Antivirus Disabled: Windows 10 Home 22H2. Microsoft Defender Antivirus became disabled somehow while I was troubleshooting a GPU problem. At present, I cannot reactivate Windows Defender Antivirus. The on-off switch is grayed out under "Real time Protection" in Virus Threats and Protection...
  8. Microsof Defender Antivirus Disabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Defender Antivirus is disabled by IT admin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Antivirus is disabled by IT admin: Hi i have a problem where I cant access the protection against viruses part of defender and it says that it was disabled by IT admin but I am the admin. What should i do?...
  10. How to Disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to Disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus in Windows 11: Microsoft Defender Antivirus is the default antivirus solution of Microsoft's Windows 11 operating system. It is turned on by default, unless another security solution is installed that is recognized by the operating system as such. Previously, it was known as Windows...