Windows 10: how to disable powershell

Discus and support how to disable powershell in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I unticked it in windows features, but if I type "powershell" in search box, I get two versions of it, and they both execute. So how do I disable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shmu26, Aug 14, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

how to disable powershell

I unticked it in windows features,
    but if I type "powershell" in search box, I get two versions of it, and they both execute.
    So how do I disable this thing?

While we are at it, how can I disable other exploitable processes that the standard Windows user doesn't need?

:)

shmu26, Aug 14, 2016

2. Disable PowerShell

Hello all.

Is there a way I can completely uninstall the Windows PowerShell feature on my machine?

And if yes, will it affect normal system functionality?

I have already tried to disable this in the Windows Features but the program is still there and can be opened/used.

Thank you.

LaurFlorin, Aug 14, 2016
  3. Disable PowerShell

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

Please be informed that Windows Power shell is an inbuilt feature which comes with Windows you can disable it in Windows features but you cannot remove it. Hence if you search in Windows search it will show Windows PowerShell.

Hope this information was helpful.

Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Aug 14, 2016
  4. how to disable powershell

I disable it by Taking Ownership and removing all users from those folders. You can easily re-enable it by adding a user.

C:\Program Files (x86)\WindowsPowerShell
    C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell
    C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell

I used to remove it, but some windows updates re-install it.

You definitely have to disable Windows Script Host (used for executing scripts via .JS, .JSE, .VBS, .VBE)
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script Host\Settings" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

POC: A closer look at the Locky ransomware

TairikuOkami, Aug 14, 2016
  5. shmu26 Win User
    thanks
    how to add those reg entries?

shmu26, Aug 14, 2016
  6. Just open CMD as admin and copy/paste/enter.

7. shmu26 Win User
    thanks
    and how to remove all users? I think I did it wrong. I removed access for all users, but powershell still executes...
    windows 10 x64

shmu26, Aug 14, 2016
  8. how to disable powershell

Sorry, it seems, that I was wrong, very wrong. It still has to be removed in order to prevent it from running. *Mad
    I guess I should thank you, without you, I would have never found out. Now to check time to time, if it is still out.

9. shmu26 Win User
    no problem, now I got everything set up. the two powershell exe files are renamed, and windows script host is disabled through registry.
    the malware is going to be very disappointed if it visits me.

shmu26, Aug 14, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    What do you mean by "exploitable processes"? It's nor more exploitable than the command prompt. In fact, it has significant security above and beyond what Command Prompt offers to prevent exploits.

Are you just trying to remove the ability for users to run it? If so, that can be done from Group Policy.

Mystere, Aug 15, 2016
  11. shmu26 Win User
    I am trying to make it harder for malware to do damage to my system, by disabling windows processes that are commonly abused by malware, and are not normally needed by a standard user. A prime example of this is powershell.

shmu26, Aug 15, 2016
  12. shmu26 Win User
    could you explain how?

shmu26, Aug 15, 2016
  13. how to disable powershell

PS can be disabled via ExecutionPolicy, but that can be easily bypassed via, you can guess, via PS. *chuckle

https://blog.netspi.com/15-ways-to-b...ecution-policy

Actually majority of malware use WSH or PS to infect, especially ransomware and exploits without user intervention.

Malware Created with Microsoft PowerShell Is on the Rise

https://securelist.com/blog/research...rshell-malware

Powershell or WSH are completely useless for common users, so there is no reason to keep it available.

Today: https://threatpost.com/latest-window...ecution/119887

TairikuOkami, Aug 15, 2016
  14. Mystere Win User
    Except that it is a requirement for many new kinds of maintenance a regular user might have to do. For instance, you can't uninstall and reinstall many apps without powershell.

Still, it's easy to disable it via group policy.

How to Block an Application or .EXE from Running in Windows

Mystere, Aug 15, 2016
  15. shmu26 Win User
    it seems that there are ways around this simple form of blocking
    PowerShell - One Tool to Rule Them All
    but with Process Lasso, you can automatically terminate any powershell process or script interpreter.
    under the options menu you have "configure disallowed processes", and and after adding your list of processes, you should put a tick in "match wildcards"

shmu26, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

how to disable powershell

1. how to disable powershell - Similar Threads - disable powershell

2. PowerShell Script to find out Inactive users for 90 days and disable and move them to the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PowerShell Script to find out Inactive users for 90 days and disable and move them to the...: Hi Guys, I want to automate the following process with a PowerShell script in the Domain Controller, Windows Server 2019.1. Find out all the users who have not logged in using the AD account in the last 90 days, disable them, and move them to the disable OU.I ran the...
  3. PowerShell Script to find out Inactive users for 90 days and disable and move them to the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PowerShell Script to find out Inactive users for 90 days and disable and move them to the...: Hi Guys, I want to automate the following process with a PowerShell script in the Domain Controller, Windows Server 2019.1. Find out all the users who have not logged in using the AD account in the last 90 days, disable them, and move them to the disable OU.I ran the...
  4. PowerShell script to disable/enable usb storage in windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PowerShell script to disable/enable usb storage in windows: Hello,can someone please help me with a PowerShell script, which will disable usb storage.requirements:1 everything should be done through PowerShell script2 already installed usb should not be accessible 3 not ready to install any 3rd party application4 Restarting pc is not...
  5. PowerShell script to disable/enable usb storage in windows

PowerShell script to disable/enable usb storage in windows: Hello,can someone please help me with a PowerShell script, which will disable usb storage.requirements:1 everything should be done through PowerShell script2 already installed usb should not be accessible 3 not ready to install any 3rd party application4 Restarting pc is not...
  6. PowerShell script to disable/enable usb storage in windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Disable UAC using powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable UAC using powershell: Hi team, I have a script that runs via task scheduler for the script to run it has to open powershell as adminso the issue is when the script runs during the schedule, there is a popup that wants the user to click ok to open powershell as adminis there a script that i can add...
  8. Disable UAC using powershell

Disable UAC using powershell: Hi team, I have a script that runs via task scheduler for the script to run it has to open powershell as adminso the issue is when the script runs during the schedule, there is a popup that wants the user to click ok to open powershell as adminis there a script that i can add...
  9. Disable UAC using powershell

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Windows Powershell keeps trying to activate despite being disabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Powershell keeps trying to activate despite being disabled.: I have very recently been having the issue of Windows Powershell starting up when I turn on my laptop and it attempts to pop up about once every 10 minutes there after. I have tried disabling it with a restart but it still persists, and prompts a win unasom w/e warning from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 1903 disable windows defender powershell

2. disable security and maintenance using powershell

3. Disable Windows Script Host and Windows PowerShell