Windows 10: How to disable recent files in search box

Discus and support How to disable recent files in search box in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Further to Duavago's question and solution here where he found how to disable the app history within the search box, I have discovered this only works... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by David Bulloch, Jun 26, 2021.

1. How to disable recent files in search box

Further to Duavago's question and solution here where he found how to disable the app history within the search box, I have discovered this only works for Pro versions since gpedit.msc is completely absent in Home versions. I did a bit of digging and found a solution as follows:1 I found the Microsoft reference spreadsheet for Group Policy Settings here2 Doing a Ctrl-F allowed me to search the document for the policies I wanted, in this case 'do not keep history'.3 On line 3273 I found the entry for 'Do not keep history of recently opened documents' and it's registry key.4 Win-R regedit.ex

:)

David Bulloch, Jun 26, 2021

2. Recent File List

that's all off already dude lol, I'm really surprised there is no fix for the recent files list/MRU in the file menu of programs haha

I appreciate the help, MS really needs to implement a Group Policy or a string that can do that for all programs installed

eidairaman1, Jun 26, 2021
  3. 95Viper Win User
    95Viper, Jun 26, 2021
  4. slozomby Win User

How to disable recent files in search box

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jun 26, 2021
Thema:

How to disable recent files in search box

1. How to disable recent files in search box - Similar Threads - disable recent files

2. How to disable the display of recent searches in Windows 10's Search Box

in Windows 10 News
    How to disable the display of recent searches in Windows 10's Search Box: When you run a search on Windows 10, you can do so using the Start Menu or the dedicated search box if it is displayed. Both search options use the same Windows Search component to display search results to the user, but the front page of the services differ. The Start Menu...
  3. How do I clear the recently opened file in windows search box ?

in Cortana
    How do I clear the recently opened file in windows search box ?: [ATTACH] I have already tried the "clear device search history" in "permissions & history" but it still there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-clear-the-recently-opened-file-in-windows/0a5a06c0-b120-484f-a0e9-9ccf3620f31d
  4. How to disable or delete recently closed or recent activity in search window

in Cortana
    How to disable or delete recently closed or recent activity in search window: [IMG] Data persists even when I delete programs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-or-delete-recently-closed-or-recent/8256dbdc-6b3a-4b2e-ab5c-7e2a32716d29"
  5. File search box

in Windows 10 Support
    File search box: The file search box keeps stopping. Most of the time it is OK, then it wont let me type anything into it in any file. I have run the search and index troubleshooter with no results. It is set to start at startup and run automatically. It will be OK at the next PC startup...
  6. How to disable Top Apps in the search box

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable Top Apps in the search box: Is there a way to disable the top apps from the Windows 10 search box? It isn't even accurate, it leaves apps up there I've used once. I'm not trying to be negative, but I believe there is no way to disable it. I've tried through the registry and using Powershell scripts....
  7. How to Disable Recent in Search

in Cortana
    How to Disable Recent in Search: Hi...how can i disable this recent item?[ATTACH] [Original Title: start menu] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-recent-in-search/4619b729-aa89-4db7-b505-e8d3bdb36d3a"
  8. How to clear recent files list in search box result?

in Cortana
    How to clear recent files list in search box result?: Hello, when I use the "Type here to search" in my task bar to find an app, it always shows a list of recent opened files. I want to learn how can I disable this feature or clear the list, cause there are some files I have deleted but they still appear in the list and I can...
  9. How to disable check box on files

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable check box on files: I'm having an issue with this annoying box that appears at either the top left of a desktop icon or on the left of any file I'm viewing in the File Explorer. Does anyone know how to turn this feature off? [img] [img] 112640
  10. How To Disable Recent Files?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How To Disable Recent Files?: Hello. How to disable that? When i open something (folder, files, pictures, etc....) it's automatic added to the recent files. And i saw everytime when i right click folder icon at taskbar. Any1 know the solutions? Thanks. Edit: After the updated 10586. I disabled...