Windows 10: How to disable screen overlay when using external numeric keypad?

Discus and support How to disable screen overlay when using external numeric keypad? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a user using a touchscreen laptop (if that has any effect) who is also using an external numeric keypad. Every time the user presses or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Orionizer, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Orionizer Win User

How to disable screen overlay when using external numeric keypad?

I have a user using a touchscreen laptop (if that has any effect) who is also using an external numeric keypad.

Every time the user presses or releases a key on the keypad, there's an annoying "123" screen overlay that pops up. It's quite annoying. I've looked in keyboard settings and what I can find of accessibility options, but I can't seem to find out how to disable this.

Does anyone know how you can disable this?

I've attached screenshots of this screen overlay.

Thanks!

How to disable screen overlay when using external numeric keypad? [​IMG]

How to disable screen overlay when using external numeric keypad? [​IMG]

:)

Orionizer, Feb 4, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Numeric keypad for PIN sign-in option

Hi Scott,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

1. Are you referring to onscreen keypad numeric pad?

2. Are you trying to add external numeric pad?

I suggest you to provide the screen shot of the screen where you have only keyboard input available.

Follow the steps given in the link below to provide the screenshot.

How to include a screenshot in your post

How to include a screenshot in your post

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Feb 4, 2019
  3. Numeric Keypad Won't Work! - Windows 10

My numeric keypad only works on the login screen! I searched the internet and I couldn't find the answer. I would try and type numbers using the keypad on other programs, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Netflix, and it wouldn't type any numbers.
    I contacted a support line but they didn't give me a great answer. After some digging, I:

• Open Settings
    • Select "Ease of Access" Settings
    • Select "Mouse" Settings
    • Turn off "Use numeric keypad to move mouse around the screen"
    • Make sure NUMLOCK is turn on or "Locked"

Test it out and I hope it works!

Stephen F._45, Feb 4, 2019
  4. How to disable screen overlay when using external numeric keypad?

Numeric Keypad not working even if NumLock is enabled

Hi Lance,

Having an outdated or incompatible keyboard driver could be a possible reason why you are experiencing an issue with using the numeric keypad. For us to provide an accurate resolution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer settings before this issue occurred?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you are trying to use the numeric keypad?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for devices and hardware. This tool can scan and repair damaged drivers of the peripherals that are connected to your computer. Visit this
    link, click on
    Find and fix problems with devices and hardware and then follow the prompts to successfully run the tool.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Feb 4, 2019
Thema:

How to disable screen overlay when using external numeric keypad?

1. How to disable screen overlay when using external numeric keypad? - Similar Threads - disable screen overlay

2. Numeric keypad problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Numeric keypad problem: I just bought a Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 and a Microsoft numeric keypad to go with it. I have paired the keypad with the laptop but it does not work. When I switch the keypad on, the battery level indicator light flashes on 1. Can anyone please advise what I can do to fix...
  3. Numeric keypad problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Numeric keypad problem: I just bought a Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 and a Microsoft numeric keypad to go with it. I have paired the keypad with the laptop but it does not work. When I switch the keypad on, the battery level indicator light flashes on 1. Can anyone please advise what I can do to fix...
  4. Numeric keypad problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Using ALT codes with a Bluetooth numeric keypad

Using ALT codes with a Bluetooth numeric keypad: I use ALT codes nearly everyday to type special characters particularly accented letters as I am a Modern Languages student. For example é is created through enabling NumLock, and then pressing ALT0233. It only works with a numeric keypad, whether it be on the right hand side...
  6. Using ALT codes with a Bluetooth numeric keypad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using ALT codes with a Bluetooth numeric keypad: I use ALT codes nearly everyday to type special characters particularly accented letters as I am a Modern Languages student. For example é is created through enabling NumLock, and then pressing ALT0233. It only works with a numeric keypad, whether it be on the right hand side...
  7. Numeric keypad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Numeric keypad: My numeric keypad isn't working. I've tried num lock button and still doesn't work. I appreciate any help on this issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/numeric-keypad/28ce7686-3e24-4148-aa23-200dc02181d9
  8. Mouse Without Borders Disables Numeric Keypad

Mouse Without Borders Disables Numeric Keypad: Has anyone else had this issue? Running the program between two Windows 10 computers and everything is working as advertised but I can no longer use the numeric keypad on my keyboard and must use the number strip over the QWERTY keys. I apologize if this has been mentioned in...
  9. HP laptop numeric keypad

in Windows 10 Customization
    HP laptop numeric keypad: have new HP laptop, but do not know how to lock the numeric keypad into the number only position. It has the key, but no light and when I push the key it does not lock the keypad into number only. Any suggestions. Has the new optane intel i3 inside system. Thanks...
  10. numeric keypad issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    numeric keypad issue: I have a Australian purchased HP x360 Envy laptop and the numeric keypad decimal point key displays a comma when typing. I use the numeric keypad input quite a lot being a mathematics teacher and I wish to change the comma to a decimal point permanently. Can someone help me...