Windows 10: How to disable search preview in a folder

Discus and support How to disable search preview in a folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So after some recent update one of my Windows 10 machines is first showing preview images of files instead of the old behaviour where it filtered the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Valtsk, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Valtsk Win User

How to disable search preview in a folder

So after some recent update one of my Windows 10 machines is first showing preview images of files instead of the old behaviour where it filtered the results in the active folder/subfolders. Ofcourse if you press enter on the results it acts as the old way, but its an extra step and a useless feature for me.

Can anyone give me a clue on how to disable this?

Win 10 Pro
    Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

How to disable search preview in a folder [​IMG]

:)

Valtsk, Mar 18, 2020
  2. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

3. Mithin_EJ Win User
    Preview pane doesn't work in Windows 10

Hi RuthZekowski,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

1. Are you facing issue with all your files or any particular files?
    2. Which version of Windows you are using?
    3. Since when are you facing this issue?

The Preview pane shows the contents of certain files selected in File Explorer. For images, it is a thumbnail preview.

If you are unable to preview in File explorer, I suggest you to try the below steps.

1. Open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.
    2. Click Options, and then click Change folder and search options to open Folder Options dialog.
    3. Check the Show preview handlers in preview pane box, and click/tap on OK.​

Please reply for all the required information to help you further.

Hope it helps.

Mithin_EJ, Mar 18, 2020
  4. How to disable search preview in a folder

Disable Taskbar Thumbnail Preview?

Hey there,

I was just searching the internet for ways to disable the Taskbar Thumbnail Preview in Windows 10, and I found one that half-worked (only some apps use list view instead of thumbnails). I was wondering if there was a way to completely disable the preview?
    I am alright editing the registry.

Thanks,

Pointy

PointlessnessSteam, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

How to disable search preview in a folder

1. How to disable search preview in a folder - Similar Threads - disable search preview

2. How to disabled search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disabled search bar: Hello, I wish to disable the search bar to prevent users from typing into it. I used to did by going to this directoryC:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy and renaming the searchUI.exe. Now I am using windows 10 PRO version 19044 and i realized the...
  3. How to ungroup folders in folder preview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to ungroup folders in folder preview: I am not talking about inside the folders, I understand how to do that. I am talking about when I have multiple folders open and hover the mouse over the stack of folders and it gives me a 'folder group' that looks as if it's another open folder. Sometimes it will include my...
  4. How to ungroup folders in folder preview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to ungroup folders in folder preview: I am not talking about inside the folders, I understand how to do that. I am talking about when I have multiple folders open and hover the mouse over the stack of folders and it gives me a 'folder group' that looks as if it's another open folder. Sometimes it will include my...
  5. How to disable pdf preview?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable pdf preview?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/j0xlczrbsbc61.png?width=512&format=png&auto=webp&s=e5f031d9e763dcc0c757b778335bfd7538da72f1 submitted by /u/TsunaXZ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l0ot2c/how_to_disable_pdf_preview/
  6. How to disable safe search

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable safe search: Disable safe search https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-disable-safe-search/117ad373-0262-4d0b-a4d2-105eafc5b67b
  7. [Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?: Hi all, Just updated in the first time after probably 2 years (couldn't update before, long story), and i notice that the start search is now way wider and has this really annoying preview option that's essentially useless. How do i disable that? (through registry editing,...
  8. How to disable taskbar previews?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable taskbar previews?: hi, Im trying to disable the taskbar previews when hovering over them shown in the screenshot: [img] did some google research and people talk about disabling peek in the visual performance settings I unchecked peek there, restarted PC, yet on 2 different PC's with win 10...
  9. How To Disable DesktopThumbnail Previews

in Windows 10 Customization
    How To Disable DesktopThumbnail Previews: **Win-10 / build 10586.14 Hi, and thanks for taking the time to look over my question. I am trying to find a way to prevent image thumbnails from displaying on my Desktop only. I have my folder options set to allow for thumbnails. I embed images often, and I find it...
  10. how to disable MUSIC search

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to disable MUSIC search: Hi all, occassionally my PC slows down and in the process viewer I can see MUSIC taking good share of CPU time. I have a lot of music on my disc, but I do not want Win10 cares about as I play it and manage with different programs. How do I disable this unwanted help from...