Windows 10: How to disable "shut down windows" popup when pressing Alt + F4

Discus and support How to disable "shut down windows" popup when pressing Alt + F4 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This happens when i click the taskbar or my mouse or no open window is selected and i press Alt + F4 so I get this. I know i dont regularly press alt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by firechuchu, Oct 25, 2018.

1. firechuchu Win User

How to disable "shut down windows" popup when pressing Alt + F4

This happens when i click the taskbar or my mouse or no open window is selected and i press Alt + F4 so I get this. I know i dont regularly press alt F4 unless i want to kill a process but I just want to disable this window, i remember enabling it but i dont know how i did it or i forgot. thanks

:)

firechuchu, Oct 25, 2018
  2. DantePaterson Win User

How to disable Alt - F4 permanently?

Hi. In my University people are pressing Alt - F4 on peoples laptops to annoy them. I wondering how I can permanently disable this shortcut without and external program. I'm fine with going into reg-edit. I have windows 10 and full control over my laptop
    (other than internet blocks).

-Dante

DantePaterson, Oct 25, 2018
  3. KristjanBandur Win User
    Is alt+ f4 and shut down the same as shutting down from the start menu

A pretty dumb question, but is it any different? For example:

If I shut down the computer with alt + f4 and shut down, boot it, and then if I shut it down will it start updating windows automatically? (if I havent updated yet)

KristjanBandur, Oct 25, 2018
  4. Devlin Sco Win User

Taskbar in windows 10 hangs on pressing alt f4

Thank you for the prompt response.

For further troubleshooting, please follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R.
    • Type services.msc then press Enter.
    • Look for the following services.
      • Windows Search, Superfetch, and Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).
    • Double-click each service then click Stop if it's running.
    • Change the Startup type to Disabled.
    • Restart your computer.
    Let us know how it goes.

Devlin Sco, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

1. How to disable "shut down windows" popup when pressing Alt + F4 - Similar Threads - disable shut down

2. Alt F4 does not close a window

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Alt F4 does not close a window: I just unpacked my brand new Microsoft surface pro today and find that I cannot close a window using alt F4. I find this very irritating... Brand new ms machine and the kbd driver doesn't work properly???...
  3. Disable Task Manager on lock screen when I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Task Manager on lock screen when I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete: Hi, I'm currently using the Windows 10 Pro 1803, and I have some question about disabling task manager on lock screen when I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. I tried to edit Local Group Policy(Remove Task Manager) to disable it, but the result is blocking all way to access Task...
  4. Remapping "Windows Key + W" To "Alt + F4"?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remapping "Windows Key + W" To "Alt + F4"?: I like using Alt + F4 to close windows, but it's hard to hit. Could I change it to something else? If so, could I use Windows Key + W? Is it used for anything else in windows? 12129
  5. No logon fields presented when ALT+CTRL+DEL is pressed

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    No logon fields presented when ALT+CTRL+DEL is pressed: When I press ctrl+alt+del to unlock the screen after it's been locked for some time I get presented with a scrween showing "Other User" in the middle, a bunch of "Other User" labels down the left edge but no fields in which to put a username or password. (See the attached...
  6. BSOD when shutting down. PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when shutting down. PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES: Hi I'd love it if someone could help me with this problem. It is mainly happening when I ask my computer to shut down I get a BSOD with that error and I've had a friends help me and he got as far as detecting which file was falling over but not why or how to fix it other than...
  7. Shut down computer when on battery

in Windows 10 Support
    Shut down computer when on battery: Hello, I need to be able to shut down my ASUS R517S laptop whenever it is running on battery (which is internal and cannot be removed easily). OS: Windows 10 Home. Why? Working in a offshore environment with a...
  8. Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 how to disable snap popup when you move a window: [img] I've searched everywhere for help on this new feature in windows 10. If I grab a window to move it there is a popup overlay that appears near where I've clicked which seems to intend to make it easy to snap to the sides of the monitor. Usually I don't want to snap a...
  9. Computer shuts down when idle?

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle?: have made sure that all the settings i can find in power options for shutting the PC down when idle are either set to never or disabled but must have missed something somewhere? after 20 minutes or so the PC shuts itself off..... any ideas? I originally suspected a non...
  10. My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?: This problem only started around last week, but I have also had it in the past. Whenever I shut the lid of my laptop (which I have set for the laptop to to enter sleep mode), it seems to sleep normally (i.e. the fan turns off and the power button blinks to indicate the...