Windows 10: How to disable snap assist (when dragging a window it automatically puts it on full screen).

Discus and support How to disable snap assist (when dragging a window it automatically puts it on full screen). in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I know snap assist can be handy when dragging a window onto your second screen where it expands to full screen automatically. However, if I just want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dontbelievethelies1, Jan 4, 2020.

1. How to disable snap assist (when dragging a window it automatically puts it on full screen).

I know snap assist can be handy when dragging a window onto your second screen where it expands to full screen automatically. However, if I just want to adjust a window by a few centimeters it expands on the main screen. When I begin dragging (no matter how little I move) a big green "1" appears and when I release the mouse button it expands. It frustrates me to no end.

What I tried already

1. "Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Ease of Access Center > Make the mouse easier to use" and disabled "Prevent windows from being automatically arranged when moved to the edge of the screen"

2. "System > Multitasking". I unchecked all snapping options.

3. I disconnected my second monitor and rebooted
    submitted by /u/dontbelievethelies1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dontbelievethelies1, Jan 4, 2020
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Snap Assist

Hi Cory,

The Snap Assist allows you to juggle apps, arrange open windows, resize windows by simply dragging and dropping them to the edges of the screen. If you don't want to get a quarter screen snap, you can change the settings of Snap Assist by follow the steps below:

• Open the Settings app
    • Click System.
    • Click Multitasking.
    • You can turn off some of the option of Snap Assist on this window.

If you want to disable Snap Assist, you can turn off Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen.

Should you have further queries, feel free to post it.

Eric Ber, Jan 4, 2020
  3. How to disable automatic maximize while dragging a window

For Windows 10 go to:

• Start menu

• Settings

• Search "snap"

• Switch off "arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen

Sherrie Fuqua, Jan 4, 2020
  4. Eliot R Win User

How to disable snap assist (when dragging a window it automatically puts it on full screen).

Snap assist thumbnail window... how to disable

Recently bought new laptop with Windows 10 (Windows 10, Home edition, 64bit). Also recently upgraded home computer to Win10 (same spec). Automatic updates turned on.

One feature I like about windows is the snapping of windows to side/top/corners. I got into it in Windows 8, and found it very useful.

However, with windows 10, a new feature (new cause I have not seen it before if it was available in prior platforms) is a thumbnail-window that helps you to snap the window. That is, if you click-hold on a window and start to drag it, a thumbnail of your
    desktop comes up and you can drag your window there and it will snap the window accordingly. So instead of dragging the window you are currently dragging allllll the way the to corner of your desktop, you can drag it to the corner of the 'conveniently' placed
    thumbnail and it will snap it for you.

Only problem is, more times than not, this thumbnail is displayed where I happen to want to drop the window I am dragging. Or when I resize a window, the window will behave strangely and end up snapping when all I wanted was to resize, simply because I
    accidentally moved the mouse into the thumbnail-window. To get around this 'inconvenience' I sometimes have to drag/move the window with a couple extra clicks. One to start the move, but not to the final destination, a second to the final destination. Or,
    I have to make more exaggerated moves, moving the window way off course in order for the thumbnail-window to get out of the way, then back to final destination (yes, thumbnail-window tends to follow my dragging, I presume to retain some level of convenience).

I have searched knowledgebase/internet for steps, but most (multitasking settings) seem to result in either turning off the snap as a whole, or did not work to disable/hide this snap thumbnail window.

In the end, I don't want to disable snapping. But I don't want the thumbnail window. HOw can I disable the thumbnail window only?

Steps;

1. Click and hold a window title bar

2. start to drag to new location, not the snap thumbnail appear

3a. Drag to a corner of the thumbnail, release - result, window is snapped to corner

3b. Drag window to different location (far away from thumbnail) - result, thumbnail follows.

How to disable snap assist (when dragging a window it automatically puts it on full screen). 93e4cb2b-1969-4747-a42b-4a031f46bb4f.jpg

Thanks

Eliot

Eliot R, Jan 4, 2020
Thema:

How to disable snap assist (when dragging a window it automatically puts it on full screen).

1. How to disable snap assist (when dragging a window it automatically puts it on full screen). - Similar Threads - disable snap assist

2. How to disable snap back when dragging a scroll bar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable snap back when dragging a scroll bar?: When clicking and dragging on a scroll bar in Windows Edge, or Windows Explorer, possibly other apps as well there is an invisible zone that is a few pixels wide on either side of the scroll bar. If you drag the bar up or down and move the cursor too far to the left or right...
  3. How to disable snap back when dragging a scroll bar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable snap back when dragging a scroll bar?: When clicking and dragging on a scroll bar in Windows Edge, or Windows Explorer, possibly other apps as well there is an invisible zone that is a few pixels wide on either side of the scroll bar. If you drag the bar up or down and move the cursor too far to the left or right...
  4. How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag window to the top: [ATTACH]If you want to enable or disable Snap Layouts when you drag the window to the top in Windows 11, here is how you can do that. This feature is available in Windows 11 2022 Update Version 22H2 and later. If you have updated your computer to the latest version of Windows...
  5. I can not drag any windowed programs around or they automatically snap to full screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can not drag any windowed programs around or they automatically snap to full screen: This problem is the bane of my existence right now. I have tried every setting in windows that has any relevance to window snapping and I even performed the clean boot test and nothing has worked. When I try to drag certain apps/programs to another location on screen, they...
  6. Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap: I have been trying to find a solution to this but have come up with nothing. I am having trouble with resizing windows with the mouse, where it automatically either maximises or snaps to one side when it is not my intention. I want to disable this, but the two options I...
  7. snap to full screen

snap to full screen: how do i shut off snap to full screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snap-to-full-screen/e72839f6-c49b-45fb-ace4-6021c49c2698
  8. Automatic Focus Assist on ALL full screen apps?

Automatic Focus Assist on ALL full screen apps?: Right now, I can enable automatic focus assist on games, but I want to be able to enable it on all full screen apps (especially media players). A quick Google search led me to believe that was possible, as some screenshots had a setting for full screen apps on the automatic...
  9. How to make snapped browsers "Full screen" within the snapped area.

How to make snapped browsers "Full screen" within the snapped area.: Hi guys, I know this is a complex one, I would like to have 4 browser windows open snapped to each corner but all displaying full screen; i.e. no tab or header bars present. i would like several youtube videos open at one time with no borders between them. I have a...
  10. Snap / Snap Assist isues

in Windows 10 Support
    Snap / Snap Assist isues: I am not at all sure Snap & Snap Assist are working as they should. I find it rather confusing to sort out what to expect, having read some articles about it (here and elswhere.) The most obvious sign is that there is no transparent overlay. I have never seen this...