Windows 10: How to disable Start menu to reinstall it?

Discus and support How to disable Start menu to reinstall it? in Cortana to solve the problem; I'm trying to reinstall start menu and the windows 10 search bar, because I can't type in either my search bar or the file explorer. Most of the fixes... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by TePineer, Feb 6, 2021.

1. TePineer Win User

How to disable Start menu to reinstall it?

I'm trying to reinstall start menu and the windows 10 search bar, because I can't type in either my search bar or the file explorer. Most of the fixes I've seen involve using the powershell console and this code:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"}

I get this error if I try it:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it modifies are currently in use. error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.19041.610_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy. NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 8e4193ea-fc95-0006-3a42-428e95fcd601 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppPackageLog -ActivityID 8e4193ea-fc95-0006-3a42-428e95fcd601 At line:1 char:94 + ... Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.I ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String [Add-AppxPackage], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it

modifies are currently in use.

error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed

Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.610_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.

NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 8e4193ea-fc95-0006-5942-428e95fcd601 in the Event Log or use

the command line Get-AppPackageLog -ActivityID 8e4193ea-fc95-0006-5942-428e95fcd601

At line:1 char:94

+ ... Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.I ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String [Add-AppxPackage], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it

modifies are currently in use.

error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed

MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_120.2212.551.0_x64__cw5n1h2txyewy.

NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 8e4193ea-fc95-0000-6109-428e95fcd601 in the Event Log or use

the command line Get-AppPackageLog -ActivityID 8e4193ea-fc95-0000-6109-428e95fcd601

At line:1 char:94

+ ... Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.I ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone can help me with using the command, or using some other way to fix the search bar/file explorer, I'd really appreciate it.

:)

TePineer, Feb 6, 2021
  2. Sher Amo Win User

Disabling Cortana in Creators Update Disabled Start Menu

Hi,

Cortana is embedded in the Start menu. As part of the development and changes in Windows 10 Creators Update, disabling Cortana is not advisable since it may cause your Start menu to become unresponsive. To troubleshoot your concern
    with Cortana and Start menu, we suggest that you perform the steps provided on this

link

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Feb 6, 2021
  3. disable the start menu search

Hi Darrell,

If you really don’t use Windows Search much, you can disable indexing completely by turning off the Windows Search service. However, disabling the open file menu is not possible in Windows 10.

To disable the Windows Search, kindly follow these steps:

• Click on Start and search for Services.
    • Select Services from the list of results.
    • On the right side of the Services window, find the
      Windows Search
      entry and click it twice.
    • In the Startup type drop-down menu, select the
      Disabled
      option. This will prevent Windows Search from loading the next time you start your computer.
    • Click the Stop button to go ahead and stop the Windows Search service now. When the service has stopped, click on
      Apply button.
    • Click on OK button, and then restart your computer.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Feb 6, 2021
  4. How to disable Start menu to reinstall it?

Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

How to disable Start menu to reinstall it?

1. How to disable Start menu to reinstall it? - Similar Threads - disable Start menu

2. how to disable "Type to search" in start menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to disable "Type to search" in start menu?: as the title says is there a way to disable "Type to search" in start menu? [ATTACH] else if that can't be done, is there a way to disable task bar to a specific user?...
  3. How to disable web search in Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable web search in Start Menu?: Hello, I have Windows 10 version 1909 and I want to disable stupid web search that open useless Edge browser if I type file name wrongly and then I click enter and browser opens how to disable that? submitted by /u/Qiasm [link] [comments]...
  4. How to Disable the New Start Menu Flyout????

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Disable the New Start Menu Flyout????: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DavyScript [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/encpik/how_to_disable_the_new_start_menu_flyout/
  5. How to disable the controller working the start menu

How to disable the controller working the start menu: What setting or service do i need to disable to get the controller from working with teh start menu of Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-the-controller-working-the-start/10f641c0-9fa0-49d7-a77a-05fdcb61fd41
  6. How to disable search online in the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable search online in the start menu: I would like to disable where windows 10 offers search online recommendations when doing a normal search after clicking on the start menu. I only want the search confined to my computer. Been looking online at loads of different options from reg hacks to going through...
  7. Disable Start Menu Hover

Disable Start Menu Hover: Hey there! When I'm in the main desktop and I hover over the start button for 2 seconds, the start menu appears. Is there any way to disable that? It's REALLY annoying. Thanks in advance. 36417
  8. How to disable photo search in the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable photo search in the start menu?: Hello, after the recent large windows 10 update, I've noticed now when I search for a program via the "Search Windows" start menu thing in the lower left corner, photos also show up in the results along with the program results even when the name of the photo is not what I...
  9. How to disable the rigkt clic on the start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to disable the rigkt clic on the start menu: Right clicking on start button give acces to all kinds off Tools that i dont want my users to have acces to. I know that i can disable some whit GPO but it there a way to remove the right click on the start button. Thank you 55968
  10. Start menu Personalization Disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu Personalization Disabled: Had to try a few different methods to get the start menu not working problem to go away. Finally I had to go back to a restore point from just after the upgrade from Windows 7 to get the start menu to work again. Now I try to turn back on the folders in Personalization >...