Windows 10: How to disable the display of recent searches in Windows 10's Search Box

Discus and support How to disable the display of recent searches in Windows 10's Search Box in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When you run a search on Windows 10, you can do so using the Start Menu or the dedicated search box if it is displayed. Both search options use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 17, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to disable the display of recent searches in Windows 10's Search Box

When you run a search on Windows 10, you can do so using the Start Menu or the dedicated search box if it is displayed. Both search options use the same Windows Search component to display search results to the user, but the front page of the services differ.

The Start Menu displays installed programs and tiles by default, the search box a list of quick searches and recent searches that the user ran previously.

Tip: for a better search experience, try Everything Search and EverythingToolbar; both are free.

How to disable the display of recent searches in Windows 10's Search Box windows-10-search-history.png

Some users may find the list of recent searches useful, as it makes it very easy to repeat a search as it takes just a click or tap on the search term to do so. Others may prefer that the information is not displayed, e.g. when they want to make sure that their searches are not revealed accidentally to others.

You can remove individual search records by hovering the mouse over an entry and selecting the x-icon that is then displayed to remove it.

Windows 10 comes with an option to disable the recording of search terms locally on the device. Users may disable the functionality to remove the recent searches listing in the Search box and stop the storing of the data on the device.

How to disable the display of recent searches in Windows 10's Search Box disable-windows-search-history.png

Here is how that is done:

1. Select Start > Settings, or use the keyboard shortcut Windows-I to open the Settings application.
    2. Go to Search. You should be in the Permissions & History section.
    3. Scroll down to History.
    4. Toggle the option "Search history on this device". Doing so disables the display of search history and the recording of searches on the local device.
    5. Select "clear device search history" if you want the existing records to be removed as well. If you don't activate the button, saved searches remain on the device. If you activate the feature again at a later time, you will see your past searches again if you don't clear them.

When you open the search box afterwards, you won't see recent searches listed there anymore.

Now You: do you use Windows Search often, or do you use a third-party search alternative? (via Techdows)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to disable the display of recent searches in Windows 10's Search Box appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 17, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Microsoft rolls out Windows Search Box recent searches in Windows 10

Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 20236 | Windows Insider Blog

Hide or Show Search Box or Search Icon on Taskbar in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 17, 2020
  3. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 17, 2020
  4. JohnHeinz Win User

Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

1. How to disable the display of recent searches in Windows 10's Search Box - Similar Threads - disable display recent

2. disabling automatic search when typing in search box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disabling automatic search when typing in search box: Windows File Explorer is now automatically searching when you start typing in the search box. Previously, it would only search after you pressed enter. However, after the latest update, you cannot disable this feature. Even if you change the radio button selection under...
  3. disabling automatic search when typing in search box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disabling automatic search when typing in search box: Windows File Explorer is now automatically searching when you start typing in the search box. Previously, it would only search after you pressed enter. However, after the latest update, you cannot disable this feature. Even if you change the radio button selection under...
  4. disabling automatic search when typing in search box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to disable recent files in search box

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable recent files in search box: Further to Duavago's question and solution here where he found how to disable the app history within the search box, I have discovered this only works for Pro versions since gpedit.msc is completely absent in Home versions. I did a bit of digging and found a solution as...
  6. How to enable or disable Cloud Content Search in Taskbar search box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable Cloud Content Search in Taskbar search box in Windows 10: Windows Search can show search results from your cloud storage accounts. However, if you want to enable or disable Cloud Content Search in the Taskbar search box, here is how you can do that. It is possible to turn it on or off using Windows Settings, Registry Editor, and...
  7. Windows 10's search box

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10's search box: Hi reinstalled my computer and after i was getting done all of the updates it in the search box "Type here to search". Now when i updated to 2009 or 20H2 it it says "Search" How does the search box keep changing?...
  8. Microsoft rolls out Windows Search Box recent searches in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft rolls out Windows Search Box recent searches in Windows 10: Improving your search experience We’re rolling out a change to display some of your recent searches when you open Windows Search Box, to make them easy to get back to. This change is rolling out server-side to everyone on version 1809 and higher: The recent...
  9. How to disable Top Apps in the search box

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable Top Apps in the search box: Is there a way to disable the top apps from the Windows 10 search box? It isn't even accurate, it leaves apps up there I've used once. I'm not trying to be negative, but I believe there is no way to disable it. I've tried through the registry and using Powershell scripts....
  10. How to Disable Recent in Search

in Cortana
    How to Disable Recent in Search: Hi...how can i disable this recent item?[ATTACH] [Original Title: start menu] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-recent-in-search/4619b729-aa89-4db7-b505-e8d3bdb36d3a"