Windows 10: How to disable the Weather widget from the Windows 10 Taskbar

Discus and support How to disable the Weather widget from the Windows 10 Taskbar in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released the KB5003637 Windows Update on Tuesday. It brings various security fixes, which you can read about in Martin's article. [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jun 11, 2021.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

How to disable the Weather widget from the Windows 10 Taskbar

Microsoft released the KB5003637 Windows Update on Tuesday. It brings various security fixes, which you can read about in Martin's article.

How to disable the Weather widget from the Windows 10 Taskbar How-to-disable-the-Weather-widget-from-the-Windows-10-Taskbar.jpg

I let my computer update to the latest patch yesterday before shutting down. When I turned it on this morning, I was greeted by something new. There was this weather widget on the taskbar. For a moment I was confused about where it came from, before I remembered that Windows had been updated. Surely, this can't be a coincidence.

How to disable the Weather widget from the Windows 10 Taskbar Windows-Updates-June-2021.jpg

This wasn't a sudden change, if you're wondering. Microsoft announced the feature in April 2021, and released it in the May Update. But for some reason, many users are only getting the widget after the June update. This isn't the first annoyance we have seen, you may have come across the infamous "Use Microsoft Edge" screen pop-up after a reboot. I saw it a few weeks ago.

You're probably thinking I don't want that weather info on the taskbar. And I agree, it is quite long and takes up a lot of space. Well, the good news is that you can get rid of the weather panel in just 2 clicks.

Right-click anywhere on the taskbar. Mouse over the News and Interests menu, and then on its sub-menu. Select the Turn off option. That's it.

How to disable the Weather widget from the Windows 10 Taskbar How-to-disable-the-Weather-widget-from-Windows-10-Taskbar.jpg

If you changed your mind and want it back, repeat the steps.

Tip: check out Martin's detailed guide on hiding the News and Interests widget for additional information, including how to disable the feature in the Registry.

A brief overview of the News and Interests panel

While we are here, let's take a look at the other options that are available in News and Interests. If you don't like the long version of the widget, but find the information useful, you can switch to the Icon-only version. This removes the temperature reading and the text, so you're literally left with the icon. Oddly, the icon does not have a tool-tip to indicate the temperature level. The open on hover setting, which is enabled by default, doesn't do anything.

Left-click on the weather widget and a big panel pops-up. This is the News and Weather app window. In addition to displaying the weather information, it also shows you top stories from news websites, stock prices, and traffic updates. To customizing your news feed, click the Manage Interests button at the top of the pop-up. It takes you to your MSN settings page where you can pick the news categories that you like.

Each card in the News and Weather panel has a three-dot button, which you can click to customize its settings. The weather card, for example, will always detect your location. I have disabled location usage from Windows' settings, but the weather app seems to have picked it up. It's not accurate because it doesn't use GPS, and instead relies on your internet connection. You can manually enter the zip code or City name in the weather card's settings to specify the location. The Traffic card's settings are similar. You may hide each card if you don't find it useful.

I'm not sure if you can tell from the screenshot, but the text in the weather widget is blurry. I don't have this problem with other programs.

So, what do you think about the weather widget? Do you like it, or do you consider it bloatware?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post How to disable the Weather widget from the Windows 10 Taskbar appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jun 11, 2021
  2. thomaseg1 Win User

Windows 10 Insider Preview Dev Build 21301 (RS_PRERELEASE) - Jan. 27 Insider

Windows 10’s taskbar is getting a big update with new weather and news widget - The Verge
    To disable the taskbar news widget, use these steps:

• Right-click the taskbar on Windows 10.
    • Select the News and interests menu and choose the Hidden option. Disable taskbar News and Interests.
    • (Optional) Select the Show icon only option if you want to keep the widget using less space in the taskbar.
    I don't know if it works

It works

thomaseg1, Jun 11, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Dev Build 21301 (RS_PRERELEASE) - Jan. 27 Insider

Hi there

After a reboot it's gone --

Thanks !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 11, 2021
  4. usan14 Win User

Foreca Weather Widget

Yeah I know this How to disable the Weather widget from the Windows 10 Taskbar :) obviously I have to add widget not shortcut but I can not see Foreca Weather in the widget list, it just shown in the shortcuts list.

usan14, Jun 11, 2021
Thema:

1. How to disable the Weather widget from the Windows 10 Taskbar - Similar Threads - disable Weather widget

2. Weather Widget on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weather Widget on Taskbar: The Widget has been showing the current temperature up until now. Suddenly, it shows the maximum temp only. Couldn't find any settings to readjust the setting. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.Window Ver 22H2, build 19045.3208...
  3. Weather Widget on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weather Widget on Taskbar: The Widget has been showing the current temperature up until now. Suddenly, it shows the maximum temp only. Couldn't find any settings to readjust the setting. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.Window Ver 22H2, build 19045.3208...
  4. Weather Widget on Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 taskbar weather widget

Windows 11 taskbar weather widget: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Windows 11 weather taskbar widget is amazing but when I login to computer it shows only widget icon. It takes 5 to 10 minutes to show weather. I want it to show weather when logging in without delay. See the screenshot below. Help!...
  6. Weather widget in taskbar blank

Weather widget in taskbar blank: Hi there,I recently noticed that the weather widget sometimes just shows the weather icon but no description. After mouseover the informations appear again. Here are two screenshots:No. 1: This is the normal appearance:No. 2: This is the issue I am talking about:Hope anyone...
  7. Weather widget in taskbar blank

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weather widget in taskbar blank: Hi there,I recently noticed that the weather widget sometimes just shows the weather icon but no description. After mouseover the informations appear again. Here are two screenshots:No. 1: This is the normal appearance:No. 2: This is the issue I am talking about:Hope anyone...
  8. Weather widget in taskbar blank

9. Weather Widget Taskbar on Top

Weather Widget Taskbar on Top: Hi !Everything is in the title.The weather widget is not avaible for user how use the taskbar on top.I try like normal pepole down and I have the widget. So I'm up to date.Can someone now how to activate this widget with the taskbar on top or is is not avaible, do u have a...
  10. Weather Widget Taskbar on Top

Weather Widget Taskbar on Top: Hi !Everything is in the title.The weather widget is not avaible for user how use the taskbar on top.I try like normal pepole down and I have the widget. So I'm up to date.Can someone now how to activate this widget with the taskbar on top or is is not avaible, do u have a...