Windows 10: How To Disable This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked and not lose the...

Discus and support How To Disable This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked and not lose the... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Context: A few days ago this computer decided to start displaying an error when opening word and probably excel file, I haven't checked yet stating... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sevastion, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Sevastion Win User

How To Disable This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked and not lose the...

Context: A few days ago this computer decided to start displaying an error when opening word and probably excel file, I haven't checked yet stating

"Word experienced an error trying to open the file.

Try these suggestions.

* Check the file permissions for the document or drive

*Make sure there is sufficient memory and disk space

*Open the file with the Text Recovery converter

*C:\..."

To clarify, permissions are not the issue, there is more than sufficient space and these docs are not in need of recovery.

Under general properties is an option to Unblock the file that may be a security risk, since it is from another computer. This is an impractical solution as not only does it need to be manually done for each file, but it also appears to disable theSafe View option the yellow bar that gives you the option to 'Enable Editing' on files from another system.

I have tried setting a trusted directory view the Trust Center, but this again appears to disable theSafe View option.

From my searching thus far, I haven't seen anyone address this particular issue without essentially just disabling these additional security measures. And somehow I've yet to find a better solution from 10 years of this issue popping up. As far as I can tell nothing was changed on the front end to trigger this change after years of operation without this issue.

Any insight on how to return to normal operation without losing the simple security would be greatly appreciated, thank you all in advance for your time.

:)

Sevastion, Apr 14, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

This file came from another computer and might be blocked?

It says 'might be blocked', not 'always blocked'. Depends on what it is and what you try to do with it - opening a text file is unlikely to be blocked, but running a .exe may well be. You downloaded it so as a precaution it's marked as 'came from another computer'. It's easy enough to remove the blocking if you trust the file to be safe.

Unblock File in Windows 10

3. Secrios Win User
    This file came from another computer and might be blocked?

I recently found out that some of the files around my computer have the following message in their properties, "This file came from another computer and might be blocked".

Does this mean that these files are slower to load or even impossible to access in some contexts? I can open these files like any other but if this feature is blocking their potential in some way, I'd like to know.

What does this all mean?

Secrios, Apr 14, 2020
  4. reddice Win User

How To Disable This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked and not lose the...

Windows 10 Home. Disable this file came from another computer.

I fixed it. After much Googling I found this post.
    It did not help much at first because it did not say what key you needed for SaveZoneInformation but after trying all of them DWORD 32 bit Value data 1 Hexadecimal worked. I am now going to export this key and back it up so if I have to reinstall windows at anytime I don't have to waste 2 hours trying to figure it out again.

Update: Chrome was still blocking files so I did a restart now Chrome is no longer blocking files.

Anyway thanks for your help even though I have not been in the greatest mood. You are all great.

reddice, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

1. How To Disable This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked and not lose the... - Similar Threads - Disable File came

2. How to turn off blocking files from another computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off blocking files from another computer.: I am an artist and professional photographer I transfer 100 of picture files from one windows 10 Computer to another to edit and post. Widows blocks these files so editing and posting are very problematic. How do I stop windows 10 from doing this. Both machines are mine and I...
  3. How to turn off blocking files from another computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to turn off blocking files from another computer.: I am an artist and professional photographer I transfer 100 of picture files from one windows 10 Computer to another to edit and post. Widows blocks these files so editing and posting are very problematic. How do I stop windows 10 from doing this. Both machines are mine and I...
  4. How to turn off blocking files from another computer.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer

in Windows 10 News
    This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer: If you have a file on your computer that may have been downloaded from the internet or copied from some other computer, then when you try to open it, you may receive a warning. Windows has blocked access to this file. If you see its Properties, you may see a message...
  6. "This file came from another computer..." warning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "This file came from another computer..." warning: I recently noticed that all my downloads over the last couple years are tagged with the warning "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer". After researching I found advice that it might be a corrupted user and is something that...
  7. This file came from another computer and maybe blocked to proect this computer. Unblock,...

This file came from another computer and maybe blocked to proect this computer. Unblock,...: [IMG] I would very much appreciate if someone could give me a clear decisive solution that solves my issue and are able to explain it in layman's terms, although i consider myself someone who is a capable, quick to resolve most issues on the various windows platforms...
  8. How To Disable ( This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked)

How To Disable ( This File came from Another Computer and might be Blocked): So how to disable that . U guys say that just check unblock button and fone but if i i ha too many files what can i do and yes i dont need powershell option and any third party option . And i accidentally installed one app before unbloking it .now my task manger regedit cmd...
  9. This file came from another computer and might be blocked?

in Windows 10 Support
    This file came from another computer and might be blocked?: I recently found out that some of the files around my computer have the following message in their properties, "This file came from another computer and might be blocked". Does this mean that these files are slower to load or even impossible to access in some contexts? I...
  10. Windows 10 Home. Disable this file came from another computer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Home. Disable this file came from another computer.: I am just going to say up front that I don't have the Pro version of Windows 10 so I have no Group Policy Editor otherwise I would have fixed this problem in less than a minute instead of wasting over a hour trying to fix this. I want to disable this on the screenshot for...