Windows 10: How to disable "Turn off hard disk" in power options?

Discus and support How to disable "Turn off hard disk" in power options? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop has a problem where after it goes to sleep it can't be turned on again. I suspect my SSD (Samsung 850 Evo) can't wake up from sleep if it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mibaup, Nov 26, 2020.

1. mibaup Win User

How to disable "Turn off hard disk" in power options?

My laptop has a problem where after it goes to sleep it can't be turned on again. I suspect my SSD (Samsung 850 Evo) can't wake up from sleep if it's turned off..

I went to power options and saw the following:

How to disable "Turn off hard disk" in power options? [​IMG]

Is there a way to disable this? I think this is why I can never wake my laptop up after it goes to sleep

Thanks

:)

mibaup, Nov 26, 2020
  2. mrclose Win User

Turning Off Hard Disk

If I set my power options to:
    Turn off Hard Disk
    (after x amount of minutes)

Turn off Moniter
    (also after so many minutes)

What is the difference between that and setting the pc to sleep mode?

I ask because a number of times, coming out of sleep ... it doesn't!

The HD will click and then nothing!
    Takes a hard shutdown and reboot to get running again!

Believe me, I've done every work-a-round, (for the last six months) and tried every suggestion in trying to fix this headache and nothing has worked!

Searching, this appears to be a problem with Windows 10 that a lot of folks have been having.
    Some have solved the problem while others have not.

Seems that no one solution is a fix for everyone.

I've disabled hybrid and hibernate using only sleep.
    Re-enabled hibernate with sleep disabled ... but the problem still exists!

And yes, I've run every chk disk and troubleshooter that I can find and ... nothing!

I figure that allowing the disk to go into idle and having the monitor shut down is the only step that I have left?

My concern is .. I don't want to shut down the pc every time I have something else that I need to do but ... I also don't want to risk something like a cooling fan going bad and my hard disk burning up when I'm not around!

Thanks in advance everyone!!

This is a snapshot of my system ...

How to disable "Turn off hard disk" in power options? SYSTEM-SPECS.jpg

mrclose, Nov 26, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Power options - SSD settings

• Go to Control Panel - Power Options
    • Select your current Power Plan and click 'Change Plan Settings'
    • Click 'Change Advanced Plan Settings
    • The top setting - Hard Drive - 'Turn off hard disk after'
    • Set both battery and plugged in to 0 (this is never stop!)

DaveM121, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Guru-# Win User

USB settings in Power Plan Options on Windows 10 is missing, how to restore it?

As per the below suggested steps I am trying to disable the USB in USB selective suspend setting in my Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home. however, I do not find the USB Settings at all in two modes Balanced mode or Dell (Active) mode under change advanced
    power settings. How to restore it?

USB Selective Suspend Settings, follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows + X.
    2. Choose Power Options.
    3. Select Choose when to turn off the display.
    4. Open Change advanced power settings.
    5. Expand USB settings and USB selective suspend setting.
    6. Select Enabled (default) or Disabled.
    7. Click Apply, then OK.

Guru-#, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

1. How to disable "Turn off hard disk" in power options? - Similar Threads - disable Turn off

2. How to disable the option to turn off the PC on remote desktop control?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable the option to turn off the PC on remote desktop control?: Hello,If I connect to remote desktop, I have three options to choose from.Obviously, I don't want to turn it off, not even by mistake, so I wanted to disable this option. However, how do I do this? Normally this can be set in the control panels, but in this case it isn't...
  3. Correct way to disable/turn off another hard disk?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Correct way to disable/turn off another hard disk?: Through Device manager-->Uninstall device-->Uninstall or Through Disk management-->Right click on selected disk-->Offline submitted by /u/flyingfor [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m5yomk/correct_way_to_disableturn_off_another_hard_disk/
  4. How to stop auto turn off hard disk spining?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to stop auto turn off hard disk spining?: Hello, My secondary hard disk which is an hard disk not SSD it stops spinning automatically after about a minute ... a sound is heard from it as when I turned off I want to stop this feature in windows 10 ! Every time when I access a file from it, it takes about 1-2...
  5. Turning Off Hard Disk

Turning Off Hard Disk: If I set my power options to: Turn off Hard Disk (after x amount of minutes) Turn off Moniter (also after so many minutes) What is the difference between that and setting the pc to sleep mode? I ask because a number of times, coming out of sleep ... it doesn't! The HD...
  6. power off options

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power off options: I no longer have power off options using my curser. My hibernate, sleep, shut down is no longer there. I now have to turn off my laptop with the actual power button. How do I reset my shut down/power off function?...
  7. Turn Off Hard Disk After not working.

Turn Off Hard Disk After not working.: I have a portable USB hdd that is not powering down at idle, a few days ago it was working so not sure what's happened. For testing purposes I have set the Turn Off Hard Disk After to 1 minute. I have tried different USB ports as well. 85377
  8. Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off

Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off: Hi, Despite "turn hard disk after" set to 10 minutes (or less for testing) in Power Options, HDDs won't turn off at all. They used to until yesterday. I have made no changes to the system only updated NVidia driver, but I can't tell if the issue started after update or...
  9. Turning off Hard Drives to Reduce Noise/Power

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Turning off Hard Drives to Reduce Noise/Power: My desktop has 1 SSD and 4 HDDs, running Windows off the SSD I want to turn the hard drives off when I'm not using them in order to reduce noise from the PC and power consumption (it does matter to me because I often run my PC off a UPS). What are my best options for doing...
  10. Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Turn off hard disk after from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove 'Turn off hard disk after' from Power Options in Windows 10 The NVMe. Having your HDDs automatically turned off after being idle can help save energy and extend a PC's...